C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1986 c4 vet electrical problem?

Old 07-09-2013, 07:02 AM
nitr0
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1986 c4 vet electrical problem?

Well guys here's my diagnosis.

Please help me and get back comments and yeah much appreciated and i will get back you thanks!!

1986 corvette

mostly stock
new battery
new starter
newer exhaust

when i purchased the car things were running fine. I dont drive the car much (as its my project to make beautiful) the battery seemed like it was drained one day starting it so, i purchased and new one installed etc. Everything was fine. Went to start the car one day and nothing. The car didn't want to crank over, so off to the shop where they fixed it.
car was running great with no issues out of the shop when starter was replaced. of course there was an oil change, the shop fixed a small trans leak. and did some minor tests (or the cheap safety test as some people know it!) to make sure everything was running right .
About a 2 weeks later
Now i go to fire the car up and the battery is completely dead.
I charged the battery and the car fired right up. It drove fine.

The battery later died.

Any suggestions? Help? Could you relate? let me know thanks!!! i can only share what i know too!
Old 07-09-2013, 12:15 PM
AirForceOne!
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Alternator? They will check it for free at most auto parts stores.

You might think about investing in a battery tender if you don't drive it that much. I got mine at Auto Zone.

Here's the one I got for $39.99. It works awesome!

http://batterytender.com/products/au...-at-0-75a.html
Old 07-09-2013, 02:27 PM
guno89
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nitr0

Please help me and get back comments and yeah much appreciated and i will get back you thanks!!

1986 corvette

mostly stock
new battery
new starter
newer exhaust

when i purchased the car things were running fine. I dont drive the car much (as its my project to make beautiful) the battery seemed like it was drained one day starting it so, i purchased and new one installed etc. Everything was fine. Went to start the car one day and nothing. The car didn't want to crank over, so off to the shop where they fixed it.
car was running great with no issues out of the shop when starter was replaced. of course there was an oil change, the shop fixed a small trans leak. and did some minor tests (or the cheap safety test as some people know it!) to make sure everything was running right .
About a 2 weeks later

The battery later died.

Any suggestions? Help? Could you relate? let me know thanks!!! i can only share what i know too!
Did you check the volts with a multimeter when it was completely dead? Have you had your alternator tested? If its running you can go to autozone advanced or probably any auotparts store and get it tested for free. Chances are that's not the issue but ruling it out would be good. Generally when the Alt goes you will know my vette died about 3/4 mile from the exit on a bridge when mine went.

I had battery issues for years, it got progressively worse over the years. could be something draining the battery, for me it was drivers power seat would attempt to move when power was off. Took me sitting in the car about 5 min after I took the key out pondering some crap running through my mind. I pulled the fuse due to me being lazy and my battery issues are gone. Im 95% positive it's the switch stuck.

If I was you I would get the alternator & battery checed for free at a autoparts store. If those both check out, something is running and causing a drain.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:02 PM
navy_vette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pull codes

If the voltage regulator on the alternator is going bad it can fry your battery as well as cause a multitude of other problems. I would guess that the problem has something to do with the alt.

You can get it tested at most hardware stores. Make sure that when you get a new one it has the correct output.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:02 PM
ccrazor
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

1986 corvette

mostly stock
new battery
new starter
newer exhaust

About a 2 weeks later

The battery later died.

It sounds like you have a battery drain, If you have a multimeter, disconnect the negative battery terminal, set the meter to measure amps, you should not see more than 50 ma.. (.05 amps.) If you get more you need to pull fuses to find which circuit. If you plan on letting it sit for extended period I would suggest a battery tender.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:34 AM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 639 Likes on 443 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Check to see if the vanity mirror lights are on.
Or the glovebox light.
Or the under hood lights

None of these?
Goto post #5
Old 07-11-2013, 03:10 AM
vetteoz
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ccrazor
It sounds like you have a battery drain,

Do a search under Battery drain ,Many well documented problems on early C4's
Old 07-11-2013, 07:17 AM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 552 Likes on 431 Posts

1986 corvette

mostly stock
new battery
new starter
newer exhaust

About a 2 weeks later

The battery later died.

pull the courtesy light fuse next time you intend to let the car sit a few days and see if that helps
Old 07-11-2013, 12:28 PM
nitr0
2nd Gear

Thanks everyone Going to fix it soon. Ill post pics and the problem when I figure it out. Thanks everyone for all the info and help! Ill get back to everyone when the cars fixed. The car is going to have the valve cover gaskets redone, and im going to pull codes on the car then. the problem will be fixed! and to everyone thanks again and i wish safe driving to all of you in your corvettes or whatever other automobiles you may own!
-86 vette
-nitr0
Old 07-11-2013, 10:34 PM
TOMMY DIMSDALE
1st Gear

Sounds like negative wire either touching or hooked up to a positive wire!check for gauges or something else not working-then check voltage coming out of it. Tommy
Old 07-13-2013, 09:25 PM
rrt898
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Drain

Originally Posted by vetteoz

Do a search under Battery drain ,Many well documented problems on early C4's
I had the same problem with my 86. Most of the time its the fusible links that are connected behind the battery (on my 86). I had one of links that controlled the cooling fan relay that was blown. Just my own experience.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:58 PM
coupeguy2001
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist

fusible links disconnect something if it drains too much current. if they are blown, check to see what is on that circuit. usually things on a fusible link is alarm, alternator, etc. stuff without a fusible link but has a fuse gets power after the key is turned on.

Get notified of new replies

To 1986 c4 vet electrical problem?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1986 c4 vet electrical problem?