Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Driver Window Rattle...Alignment?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 09:00 PM
VA50th
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Driver Window Rattle...Alignment?

When you replace driver door bushings and pins to correct door sag, do you normally have to re-align the window? I recently had the bushings and pins replaced on my 96 coupe. The door now seems to close and open fine. The door ajar switch was hitting in the wrong place. Now I noticed I have a rattle in the driver door while driving over bumps with the window up. The window seems to operate up and down fine. Also starting to see some minor scatches on the window. The door panel was also recently removed to replace the door ajar switch. Could this be causing the rattle? I'm sorry for sounding so vague.

Possible anti-rattle pads..?

The rattle only became noticeable after the recent work on the door.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:11 PM
RockG
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VA50th
When you replace driver door bushings and pins to correct door sag, do you normally have to re-align the window? I recently had the bushings and pins replaced on my 96 coupe. The door now seems to close and open fine. The door ajar switch was hitting in the wrong place. Now I noticed I have a rattle in the driver door while driving over bumps with the window up. The window seems to operate up and down fine. Also starting to see some minor scatches on the window. The door panel was also recently removed to replace the door ajar switch. Could this be causing the rattle? I'm sorry for sounding so vague.

Possible anti-rattle pads..?

The rattle only became noticeable after the recent work on the door.
I recently opened my pannels to fix them as they were loose, and I noticed a rattle of window. Well there are two guides that were loose along the top of the door. they are bolted to the top of the door one in the front and the other in the rear. the one in the rear was real loose.

I pushed them in towards window (so it would hold it up tight) Tightened the bolts and put back together. Ratle gone!!!
Old 04-26-2011, 05:43 PM
VA50th
Pro

..thanks for the feedback.

What I'm wondering is would the changing of the bushings/pins normally cause some sort of rattling in the door...without further alignment.?

..if not, then perhaps something was not put back properly when the door panel was removed to install the new door ajar switch.....

....or none of the above and it's just 'normal' wear and tear...?
Old 04-26-2011, 07:00 PM
illenema
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What I'm wondering is would the changing of the bushings/pins normally cause some sort of rattling in the door...without further alignment.?

..if not, then perhaps something was not put back properly when the door panel was removed to install the new door ajar switch.....

Zappa fanatic.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:21 PM
RockG
Instructor

No, I really do think when panel was taken off, something was not put on back right, check those two bolts one in front and the other rear the rear.. they may even not be loose, but you do need to adjust those two pads because with time they slide back off the window giving room to rattle and also when panel was taken off the pulling up and back motion of removing could've cause the two pads especially the back one to back off the window and then giving it room to rattle instead of holding the window tight when up.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:35 PM
VA50th
Pro

...thanks Rock...

I'm going to try and check it out this weekend. The weird part is that it doesn't rattle unless it's a noticeable bump and it sorta sounds like a metal ting sound....

be safe...and ride on
Old 07-22-2013, 03:55 AM
Fast99vette
1st Gear

...thanks Rock...

I'm going to try and check it out this weekend. The weird part is that it doesn't rattle unless it's a noticeable bump and it sorta sounds like a metal ting sound....

be safe...and ride on
VA50 did this fix yours? I have the excact issues you have explained here.

Get notified of new replies

To Driver Window Rattle...Alignment?

Quick Reply: Driver Window Rattle...Alignment?