C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1984 Corvette A/C trouble

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 09:23 PM
Joe3571
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 1984 Corvette A/C trouble

Hello everyone im new here just joined i have an 1984 vette has been my only vehicle and daily for nearly 2 years it is all original except for some exhaust changes and a hyper chip set. but i am having some trouble out of my air conditioning when i first bought the car it was not working the during the middle of July 2 years ago and if you have ever ridden in vette with no ac it is one of the most miserable experience's ever so i changed it over to R134 A it worked great it blew so cold the vent's sweated.

then later on come to find out the inlet valve i changed was defective and all my freon leaked over time. so replaced the valve filled it back up with oil and freon it is working my gauges says it is full there are no other leake's but it does not seem to blow cold enough at times and my fan does not seem to blow hard enough i have it set on max ac and the fan on high but it act's like it is blowing on medium and the irony is not lost on me middle of July againe can anyone tell me what my problem is? I am not suffering but i am not comfortable either.

Last edited by Joe3571; 07-25-2013 at 09:26 PM.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:05 PM
Joe3571
Intermediate

ok well i guess i will just have to figure it out on my own then
Old 07-26-2013, 02:19 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Jumper the Blower to Battery and see if that cranks it up (you should be able to hear it if there's any difference). If so, the High Speed Relay may be open (if used), or it's wiring, or the Control Panel, or the Resistor Pod on top of the Evaporator Case. See what the Blower Motor does first. If it doesn't speed up with Battery, the motor or squirrel cage may be pooped out. I wouldn't go for feel or air flow (sound only) on this test, because it could be bleeding air through the ductwork. It's sealed with foam and it's not unusual for it to be shot. Generally, you'll find that by removing the Passenger side Hush Panel and if there's a strong flow towards the floor, you need to remove the Top Panel to seal up the Ductwork. The other bleed area is the Evaporator Case, at the bottom. That happens when someone replaces an Evaporator and doesn't reseal the case so air blows on the street.

I assume your gages still show a complete charge or reasonable pressures for ambient?
Old 07-26-2013, 03:01 PM
84VetteMan205hp
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe3571
and if you have ever ridden in vette with no ac it is one of the most miserable experience's ever .
you got that right!
Old 07-26-2013, 06:56 PM
GQ-ROD
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get the FSM !

How did you test your system?

Did you vacuum it out?

Checked for leaks?

How did you know exactly how much oil to put in ?

Did you weigh the r134a with a scale ?

Did you fill it to 80% or 100% r134a in the r12 system ?

As for your blower motor speed as has been mentioned check the blower motor circuit components when you get the fsm.

I'm never convinced of r134a and even less convinced of DIY without proper tools and advice !!

You will get all the help you need if you provide exact information on your conversion and be specific with your requests we are all here to help but we can't read your mind !! lol

Mine does not work but when i'm ready to over haul it i'm sticking to r12 and doing it right !

South florida does not work well with no a/c, makes me not even want to drive the car !!
Old 07-26-2013, 08:07 PM
Oldtimah
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Switched my '86 over to 134A. Still keeps us cool out here in Las Vegas. I guess I am a believer.

oldtimer
Old 07-26-2013, 08:27 PM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 206 Posts

My 86 also has been converted. It was done 10 years ago. It is ice cold. I also had a 991 Accord that was converted. That system would freeze your face off. I suspect that the bad rap is that a lot of systems are done half-assed.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:51 PM
GQ-ROD
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DinoBob
My 86 also has been converted. It was done 10 years ago. It is ice cold. I also had a 991 Accord that was converted. That system would freeze your face off. I suspect that the bad rap is that a lot of systems are done half-assed.
Very true, had a conversion done, it was half assed, never was cold enough, and i turned to the dark side and never looked back,

there's a good vette shop i used for my rear suspension work that does the conversion, they mentioned that the pressure switches have to be adjusted correctly to r134a, as well as the accumulator changed out.

My only concern is what starts out as a simple conversion winds up being a full blown ac resto project that puts me in the poor house.

For me doing it with r12 gives me a chance to keep the system stock, since i do all my own work with certain exceptions labor cost is zero,and once i get my certification i can get the r12 legally and won't have to worry about filling it again.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:23 PM
Joe3571
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SunCr
Jumper the Blower to Battery and see if that cranks it up (you should be able to hear it if there's any difference). If so, the High Speed Relay may be open (if used), or it's wiring, or the Control Panel, or the Resistor Pod on top of the Evaporator Case. See what the Blower Motor does first. If it doesn't speed up with Battery, the motor or squirrel cage may be pooped out. I wouldn't go for feel or air flow (sound only) on this test, because it could be bleeding air through the ductwork. It's sealed with foam and it's not unusual for it to be shot. Generally, you'll find that by removing the Passenger side Hush Panel and if there's a strong flow towards the floor, you need to remove the Top Panel to seal up the Ductwork. The other bleed area is the Evaporator Case, at the bottom. That happens when someone replaces an Evaporator and doesn't reseal the case so air blows on the street.

I assume your gages still show a complete charge or reasonable pressures for ambient?
Yes it still shows full on the gauges the lines sweat like they should compressor runs normal.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:24 PM
Joe3571
Intermediate

well thanks guys i appreciate all the info.

Get notified of new replies

To 1984 Corvette A/C trouble

Quick Reply: 1984 Corvette A/C trouble