C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

top repair advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 06:32 PM
Radio Joe
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default top repair advice

My 84 has the fiberglass targa top. The frame is cracked behind the drivers head and the weatherstripping is old and worn. I also have a glass top for an 84 that has a good frame and weatherstripping but a big crack in it. I contemplated pulling the fiberglass panel from the one top and putting it onto the frame from the glass top.

the other option is sand the glass top down and cover it in a coat of fiberglass and then paint it.

Buying a new top or having the old one rebuild is not an option..

Suggestions please?
The following users liked this post:
joseph707 (06-05-2020)

Popular Reply

10-05-2013, 01:32 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

If you're up for a challenge, these two tops can be combined to make one good top, but if this was my problem, I'd fix the top with the cracked frame. The cracked frame can be heliarc welded by a good welding shop, after removing the fiberglass top..

To separate the top from the frame, use a narrow (1") putty knife, filed to an edge on the end, and work this knife between the frame and the top. It will take some wiggling to work thru the adhesive. Work your way around the whole top, taking a small section at a time. Don't use brute force, as you could crack the frame again. (After you've done one top, you may decide to fix that one, rather than repeat this on the second top.) Scrape all of the adhesive from the parts you want to save.

The best adhesive is available from a windshield replacement shop in your area. You'll need one tube. Don't try any RTV type adhesives, as they won't last, and will contaminate the surfaces for your next inevitable attempt. I used Dow Betaseal U-418 urethane adhesive and primer for my re-glue project.
1. To re-glue the top to your chosen frame, mount the bare frame onto your car, then place the top onto the frame (no adhesive yet). Align the top for about 1/4" to 5/16" gap at the rear of the roof, and equal position on the left and right sides.
2. From the inside of the car, place masking tape at several positions on the top, so that you know exactly where to place the frame during the glueing process.
3. Remove the top and the frame from the car. Don't try glueing the top together on the car, because the weatherstrips won't allow you to get a close fit between the top and the frame.
4. Flip the top upside down on a table. Fit the frame into the tape marks to verify how the parts are arranged. Be sure the parts are clean.
5. Apply the primer and the adhesive in the appropriate areas between the taped marks all the way around the roof, and also in the appropriate areas all the way around the frame. This will assure no gaps in your bonded areas.
6. Carefully set the frame onto the top, then gently clamp the frame and top together only at the four corner pads of the frame. Don't clamp tightly, as you want a thick layer of adhesive between the top and the frame.Don't clamp the roof between the frame pads, as this will introduce stresses into the acrylic material. (I learned this the hard way.) Allow the adhesive to fully cure!
7. When you install your newly bonded top onto your car, you'll probably need to adjust the height of the four mounting brackets in the windshield header and the targa hoop. These are adjustable for height to provide for a good fit to the weatherstrips. These are accessible under the plastic panels. The sun visors will need to be removed to access the front brackets, which is a challenge, too!
8. Replace your panels and the sun visors, then find a way to enjoy your success!

Old 10-04-2013, 06:46 PM
Radio Joe
Pro

Anyone?? Curious to hear from anyone who has done either option...
joseph707 (06-05-2020)
Old 10-05-2013, 01:32 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

If you're up for a challenge, these two tops can be combined to make one good top, but if this was my problem, I'd fix the top with the cracked frame. The cracked frame can be heliarc welded by a good welding shop, after removing the fiberglass top..

To separate the top from the frame, use a narrow (1") putty knife, filed to an edge on the end, and work this knife between the frame and the top. It will take some wiggling to work thru the adhesive. Work your way around the whole top, taking a small section at a time. Don't use brute force, as you could crack the frame again. (After you've done one top, you may decide to fix that one, rather than repeat this on the second top.) Scrape all of the adhesive from the parts you want to save.

The best adhesive is available from a windshield replacement shop in your area. You'll need one tube. Don't try any RTV type adhesives, as they won't last, and will contaminate the surfaces for your next inevitable attempt. I used Dow Betaseal U-418 urethane adhesive and primer for my re-glue project.
1. To re-glue the top to your chosen frame, mount the bare frame onto your car, then place the top onto the frame (no adhesive yet). Align the top for about 1/4" to 5/16" gap at the rear of the roof, and equal position on the left and right sides.
2. From the inside of the car, place masking tape at several positions on the top, so that you know exactly where to place the frame during the glueing process.
3. Remove the top and the frame from the car. Don't try glueing the top together on the car, because the weatherstrips won't allow you to get a close fit between the top and the frame.
4. Flip the top upside down on a table. Fit the frame into the tape marks to verify how the parts are arranged. Be sure the parts are clean.
5. Apply the primer and the adhesive in the appropriate areas between the taped marks all the way around the roof, and also in the appropriate areas all the way around the frame. This will assure no gaps in your bonded areas.
6. Carefully set the frame onto the top, then gently clamp the frame and top together only at the four corner pads of the frame. Don't clamp tightly, as you want a thick layer of adhesive between the top and the frame.Don't clamp the roof between the frame pads, as this will introduce stresses into the acrylic material. (I learned this the hard way.) Allow the adhesive to fully cure!
7. When you install your newly bonded top onto your car, you'll probably need to adjust the height of the four mounting brackets in the windshield header and the targa hoop. These are adjustable for height to provide for a good fit to the weatherstrips. These are accessible under the plastic panels. The sun visors will need to be removed to access the front brackets, which is a challenge, too!
8. Replace your panels and the sun visors, then find a way to enjoy your success!

Last edited by Hot Rod Roy; 06-05-2020 at 02:39 PM.
The following 8 users liked this post by Hot Rod Roy:
confab (12-11-2018), joseph707 (06-05-2020), Lanaue (06-24-2017), mcm95403 (12-02-2020), N227GB (12-22-2015), Need4Sneed (01-04-2024), RArline (03-01-2018), rbarton80 (12-23-2020) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-05-2013, 07:09 PM
Radio Joe
Pro

ROY YOU ARE THE MAN!!

That was an excellent description!!

Im going to wait until American Hydrocarbon tells us prices for the carbon fiber tops- if I can purchase the carbon fiber panel only, I will redo the cracked glass top with Carbon Fiber... If thats too expensive then I will combine the two tops I have already.

Thanks!!
joseph707 (06-05-2020)
Old 10-10-2013, 01:00 PM
wanted dead or alive
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default carbon fiber top

Originally Posted by Radio Joe
ROY YOU ARE THE MAN!!

That was an excellent description!!

Im going to wait until American Hydrocarbon tells us prices for the carbon fiber tops- if I can purchase the carbon fiber panel only, I will redo the cracked glass top with Carbon Fiber... If thats too expensive then I will combine the two tops I have already.

Thanks!!
let me know about carbon fiber panel . someone bounced my top across a paved road and frame is good , panel broken in 6 places
joseph707 (06-05-2020)
Old 11-08-2013, 11:59 AM
AlaJoe
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Roy Great write up! A few follow up questions. Are you saying that both the fiberglass and acrylic tops are essentially the same just with one covered with see through plastic and the other with fiberglass and a headliner. I ask because I have both and I like the clear top better because I have about an inch more headroom in the car but it rattles terribly. If this is the case the headline in the other top must be almost an inch thick. In my situation do you think I could patiently work the acrylic top free and just reglue it and get rid of the rattle or remove the headliner from the other
joseph707 (06-05-2020)
Old 06-22-2017, 09:13 PM
Gary96
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy

The best adhesive is available from a windshield replacement shop in your area. You'll need one tube. Don't try any RTV type adhesives, as they won't last, and will contaminate the surfaces for your next inevitable attempt. I used Dow Betaseal U-418 urethane adhesive for my re-glue project.
5. Apply the primer (if required) and the adhesive in the appropriate areas between the taped marks all the way around the roof, and also in the appropriate areas all the way around the frame. This will assure no gaps in your bonded areas.
6. Carefully set the frame onto the top, then gently clamp the frame and top together in at least six places (more would be better). Don't clamp tightly, as you want a thick layer of adhesive between the top and the frame. Allow the adhesive to fully cure!
7. When you install your newly bonded top onto your car, you may need to adjust the height of the four mounting brackets in the windshield header and the targa hoop. These are adjustable for height to provide for a good fit to the weatherstrips. These are accessable under the plastic panels. The sunvisors will need to be removed to access the front brackets, which is a challenge, too!
8. Replace your panels and the sunvisors, then find a way to enjoy your success!

Thanks for you tips and advice on how to do this. My dad and I did this on my 96. Everything's great so far and saved me about $1,000 for a new top.
The following 2 users liked this post by Gary96:
Hot Rod Roy (06-23-2017), joseph707 (06-05-2020)
Old 12-02-2020, 10:59 PM
mcm95403
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 223 Likes on 145 Posts

Yes, I know it's an old thread, but still great info. Why isn't this a sticky?
Keith Jemison (02-18-2021)
Old 02-18-2021, 07:45 PM
Keith Jemison
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to take this on this weekend on my 89 coupe... Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To top repair advice

Quick Reply: top repair advice