C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Replacing Heating Core to Find Dash Panel in Half

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 11:50 PM
JCasteli
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Heating Core to Find Dash Panel in Half

I am in the process of a nightmarish job to replace the heating core in my 87 C4. Got the heating core out, but apparently the job has been done before and they took the easy step of actually breaking the dash panel (dash carrier) in half between the passenger side and center console. I am referring to the the one-piece huge plastic structure that all the dash bezels and instrument cluster bolt on to.

I have been unsuccessful in finding a replacement part. Any ideas on where to find a new dash carrier?

Last edited by JCasteli; 11-18-2013 at 11:56 PM.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:56 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by JCasteli
I am in the process of a nightmarish job to replace the heating core in my 87 C4. Got the heating core out, but apparently the job has been done before and they took the easy step of actually breaking the dash panel in half between the passenger side and center console. I am referring to the the one-piece huge plastic structure that all the dash bezels and instrument cluster bolt on to.

I have been unsuccessful in finding a replacement part. Any ideas on where to find a new dash panel structure?
Where are you located? The ship of one might be difficult just because of it's age and the fragility (think that's a word) of the part. You need to buy from someone that does clean dismantling - there's many that just "rip"!
Old 11-19-2013, 12:14 AM
JCasteli
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sensed shipping would be a problem considering how big and fragile this part is. Mine was clearly broken purposely, but I can see they can break easily. It's cracked at many of the screw holes. I am in Central Kansas but travel to NYC/Philly often.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:17 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

I sensed shipping would be a problem considering how big and fragile this part is. Mine was clearly broken purposely, but I can see they can break easily. It's cracked at many of the screw holes. I am in Central Kansas but travel to NYC/Philly often.
Over-the-road trucker maybe?
Old 11-19-2013, 02:18 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Mine was clearly broken purposely, but I can see they can break easily. It's cracked at many of the screw holes.
This is VERY common. Mine was broken at EVERY mounting point.

WAS broken:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...sh-repair.html

Since I wrote that I found that the bottom center console mounts were also broken. I never did get around to posting the pics of fixing that part. Just remedied that...

Last edited by Cliff Harris; 11-19-2013 at 02:24 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing Heating Core to Find Dash Panel in Half

Quick Reply: Replacing Heating Core to Find Dash Panel in Half