C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

A long journey in a short period of time

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 05:47 PM
sbscott
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A long journey in a short period of time

I became a thrilled owner of a 1989 6-speed that was babied for years by a close friend in Texas. Bought it, drove it to Colorado and, a week later had an engine fire (leaking fuel pressure valve). Six weeks later with six new injectors, new distributor, new engine wiring harness, throttle/cruise cables, etc, I am back on the road...kinda.
I have an thermal ignition failure that occurs after it has been brought up to temperature driving 10 miles or idling for twenty minutes. Once I turn int off and wait for about ten minutes, it will turn over, but won't start, no spark. After five or six hours, starts and runs fine.

Any thoughts for a sad Vette owner
Old 12-21-2013, 05:56 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

How was the fire put out? Sounds like another component was damaged by heat of what ever was used to put out the fire.
Old 12-21-2013, 05:57 PM
don hall
Safety Car

Received 218 Likes on 172 Posts

Replace ignition control module... easy fix (if that is the problem).

Check other sources and prices.... posted for photo only:

http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/engin...trol-unit.html
Old 12-21-2013, 06:13 PM
sbscott
6th Gear

Originally Posted by We Gone
How was the fire put out? Sounds like another component was damaged by heat of what ever was used to put out the fire.
Water. The was localized to the back of the engine. I was able to put it out quickly. The whole distributor and coil were replaced with new plug wiring as well.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:28 PM
mmandley
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I vote ICM as well. They get super hot when running and when mine gave out it would run for 20 minutes, then crank no start. After it sits all afternoon or all night fires right up like nothing wrong.

Its only 125, get it, install it, then let the car idle for 30 minutes. Bet she runs fine then.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:43 AM
sbscott
6th Gear

Thanks guys! Just ordered one. How, to figure out where it sits in the engine compartment!
Old 12-22-2013, 12:47 PM
JimGnitecki
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sbscott
Thanks guys! Just ordered one. How, to figure out where it sits in the engine compartment!
The location of it was shown in photographs on this forum recently for another forum member. Just use the search feature with "ICM" or "ignition control module" as the search key. I'm sure it was within the past few days.

Jim G
Old 12-22-2013, 04:40 PM
sbscott
6th Gear

Ok, I am a bit confused. You have talked about the ICM (ignition control module). Is this the same thing as the ECM or electronic control module located inside the distributor? And then there is the ESC or electronic spark control...
Old 12-22-2013, 04:55 PM
JimGnitecki
Racer

Originally Posted by sbscott
Ok, I am a bit confused. You have talked about the ICM (ignition control module). Is this the same thing as the ECM or electronic control module located inside the distributor? And then there is the ESC or electronic spark control...
You are going to need to learn a bit more about your car to understand what the more experienced forum owners are talking about here.

The ICM is NOT any of the things you mentioned.

The ECM is the computer for the entire car. It is located just under the hood, driver side, just in from of the windshield, above the battery.

There is NO regular "distributor" in the conventional sense like on a traditional Chevy small block. The Optisaprk replaces it. The timing of sparks to each cylinder is controlled by the "Optispark", which is unique to the Chevrolet LT1 and LT4 engines used from 1992 to 1996. It is NOT located above the engine. It is at the front of the engine, under the water pump (read elsewhere on the forum why this is a bad location for any ignition system ).

The ICM is a small electronic "black box" part located at the front of one of the cylinder banks (passenger side I think). I think maybe this u-tube video shows you where, and how to replace it:

This article, although written to sell an aftermarket market, describes how the LT1 ignition system, including Optispark, ECM, coil, and ICM work to create the sparks needed by the engine:

http://www.delteq.com/products_opti.htm

I don't criticize you for not knowing how the ignition system on an LT1 works (I don't know more than the most basic basics either), but if you are going to ask help here, you are going to have to learn at least some of the basics about your car. That means being willing to search on this forum AND do some googling.

Jim G

Last edited by JimGnitecki; 12-22-2013 at 04:57 PM.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:08 PM
sbscott
6th Gear

Fair enough. I will do the research and I appreciate the feedback. Yep, I am new and a bit overwhelmed at this point. Time will help!

Thanks again.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:00 PM
smooth1990
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
You are going to need to learn a bit more about your car to understand what the more experienced forum owners are talking about here.

The ICM is NOT any of the things you mentioned.

The ECM is the computer for the entire car. It is located just under the hood, driver side, just in from of the windshield, above the battery.

There is NO regular "distributor" in the conventional sense like on a traditional Chevy small block. The Optisaprk replaces it. The timing of sparks to each cylinder is controlled by the "Optispark", which is unique to the Chevrolet LT1 and LT4 engines used from 1992 to 1996. It is NOT located above the engine. It is at the front of the engine, under the water pump (read elsewhere on the forum why this is a bad location for any ignition system ).

The ICM is a small electronic "black box" part located at the front of one of the cylinder banks (passenger side I think). I think maybe this u-tube video shows you where, and how to replace it:

How to Change Chevy LT1 Coil and Ignition Control Module - YouTube

This article, although written to sell an aftermarket market, describes how the LT1 ignition system, including Optispark, ECM, coil, and ICM work to create the sparks needed by the engine:

http://www.delteq.com/products_opti.htm

I don't criticize you for not knowing how the ignition system on an LT1 works (I don't know more than the most basic basics either), but if you are going to ask help here, you are going to have to learn at least some of the basics about your car. That means being willing to search on this forum AND do some googling.

Jim G
The OP's car is a 1989.

No optispark there.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:57 PM
JimGnitecki
Racer

Originally Posted by smooth1990
The OP's car is a 1989.

No optispark there.
Sorry, I didn't look at his profile.

Jim G
Old 12-22-2013, 10:09 PM
smooth1990
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I became a thrilled owner of a 1989 6-speed that was babied for years by a close friend in Texas. Bought it, drove it to Colorado and, a week later had an engine fire (leaking fuel pressure valve). Six weeks later with six new injectors, new distributor,*new*engine*wiring harness, throttle/cruise cables, etc, I am back on the road...kinda.
I have an thermal ignition failure that occurs after it has been brought up to temperature driving 10 miles or idling for twenty minutes. Once I turn int off and wait for about ten minutes, it will turn over, but won't start, no spark. After five or six hours, starts and runs fine.*

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
Sorry, I didn't look at his profile.

Jim G
Don't have to. Its in the opening post on this thread..
Old 12-22-2013, 10:13 PM
JimGnitecki
Racer

Originally Posted by smooth1990
I became a thrilled owner of a 1989 6-speed that was babied for years by a close friend in Texas. Bought it, drove it to Colorado and, a week later had an engine fire (leaking fuel pressure valve). Six weeks later with six new injectors, new distributor,*new*engine*wiring harness, throttle/cruise cables, etc, I am back on the road...kinda.
I have an thermal ignition failure that occurs after it has been brought up to temperature driving 10 miles or idling for twenty minutes. Once I turn int off and wait for about ten minutes, it will turn over, but won't start, no spark. After five or six hours, starts and runs fine.*

Don't have to. Its in the opening post on this thread..
Boy, I really wasn't paying attention. Sorry.

Jim G
Old 12-22-2013, 11:13 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Back to the subject, the ignition control module is in the distributor. Remove the cap and the rotor. The module has two wires on the right side and 4 or 5 on the left. Remove the connectors. I belive 1/4" headed screws hold the module in place. Replace this unit. Sometimes when they go out, they symptoms are what you describe.
Old 12-23-2013, 05:54 PM
Just BOB
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 383vett
Back to the subject, the ignition control module is in the distributor. Remove the cap and the rotor. The module has two wires on the right side and 4 or 5 on the left. Remove the connectors. I belive 1/4" headed screws hold the module in place. Replace this unit. Sometimes when they go out, they symptoms are what you describe.
Original post said "New distributor". If it is new as in purchased from a retail firm, I'd return it under warranty.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:40 PM
sbscott
6th Gear

Roger. That is my plan.

Thanks again. My journey is just beginning!

Get notified of new replies

To A long journey in a short period of time

Quick Reply: A long journey in a short period of time