Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Do I have a bad battery?

Old 11-12-2014, 07:34 AM
Racod
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I have a bad battery?

I went to Start up the Vette today to move to a new storage location. It had not been driven for about 4 weeks. Battery was brand new last year.

I hooped up some jumper cables. Exterior lights started to flash. When getting into the car the dash lights flashed as chime rang 4 times. This cycle continued.

Is the cell bad? Did I not charge it long enough?

Thx
Old 11-12-2014, 07:42 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Batterys that are left partially charged or dead for a length of time build up sulfate on the lead plates, the sulfate no longer lets the battery reach full charge...Get a multimeter and check the battery, if you don't have somewhere near 12.6 volts the battery isn't reaching full charge and is damaged...This can happen to brand new batterys.... C4 Corvettes don't do very well on anything other then a fully changed battery, weird things happen..Next time get yourself a "Battery Tender" battery maintainer, and your battery will stay fully charged indefinitely
..WW

Last edited by WW7; 11-13-2014 at 07:54 AM.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:35 AM
don hall
Safety Car

Received 218 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Racod
I went to Start up the Vette today to move to a new storage location. It had not been driven for about 4 weeks. Battery was brand new last year.

I hooped up some jumper cables. Exterior lights started to flash. When getting into the car the dash lights flashed as chime rang 4 times. This cycle continued.

Is the cell bad? Did I not charge it long enough?

Thx
Why speculate?...... take the battery to an auto store, and have it load tested (free)..... take the advice of WW7, and keep it charged.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:39 AM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 639 Likes on 443 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

And either leave a battery tender connected or disconnect the battery when storing.
Battery abuse will lead to alternator failure.

Old 11-12-2014, 10:48 AM
don hall
Safety Car

Received 218 Likes on 172 Posts

[QUOTE=JrRifleCoach;1588246120]..... disconnect the battery when storing........./QUOTE]

Battery will still discharge, just at a slower rate.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:01 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

[QUOTE=seabright;1588246213]
Originally Posted by JrRifleCoach
..... disconnect the battery when storing........./QUOTE]

Battery will still discharge, just at a slower rate.

OP:
I've had the battery in my ZR-1 for 7 years, and the battery in my wife's 69 C3 for about the same time. Both are on a "smart charger*" when not being driven - batteries remain connected all the time. Batteries crank those cars like new.

I use the little 800mA *Battery Tenders; which are microprocessor equipped; one of the first of their kind. Now it is becoming more rare than not to buy a battery maintenance charger that isn't so equipped.

Some good reading, regarding batteries...

And, as mentioned, one never wants to use the alternator to charge a severely discharged battery, at least if you want the alt to last. Otherwise, you might "cook" your alternator in the attempt: always that risk. Use a heavy duty battery charger; one designed to provide the amount of current needed to replenish the charge on the average car battery.

Last edited by Paul Workman; 11-13-2014 at 06:04 AM.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:41 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Hi

Check what is causing excessive drain.

Batterys that have completely discharged are usually never the same, sure you will be able to charge it but i have found a normal lead acid battery has a short life unless it is kept in good charge.

Of course look for any loads, things like antenna motors and headlight motors have power all the time, i had my antenna motor not cut the power when down. This was due to all the grease having dried up, the antenna motor will only stop when the shaft opens limit switches. I heard the occasional click noise as the motor overload would trip every minute or so, i pulled the antenna apart and greased the wheel and gears no more flat battery after a few weeks.

I have since gone to a yellow top OPTIMA battery, now these things love deep discharges and they bounce right back.
Note they need a special battery charger to charge from below 10.5 volts, most common chargers will not attempt to charge a battery below 10.5 volts. You can connect a good battery in parrallel to make any old charger charge an optima.

That may be why some have a bad oppinion about optima batterys.

However i love my optima, the yellow top is for deep cycle (like your instance where a car doesnt get used for weeks at a time.

Red top is for charging power and blue for marine use.

Old 11-14-2014, 01:40 AM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Received 116 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by gerardvg
some have a bad oppinion about optima batterys.
Yes, I'll be first having had three red-tops fail in two vehicles. I understood the yellows were for true deep cycling, extended drain periods, as in an RV or similar app.

I now use battery tenders on 4 cars; one with the battery disconnected as it sits for many months on end and two new batteries (MBenz) got cooked by the tender.

I've had mixed results using an gee-whiz charger with the circuitry to desulphate the plates, as the maker states. A mechanic pal says that dropping the battery from a couple inches can sometimes knock the crap off the plates, which has also worked for me.. at times. It's a temporary measure, only.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:27 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by whalepirot
Yes, I'll be first having had three red-tops fail in two vehicles. I understood the yellows were for true deep cycling, extended drain periods, as in an RV or similar app.

I now use battery tenders on 4 cars; one with the battery disconnected as it sits for many months on end and two new batteries (MBenz) got cooked by the tender.I've had mixed results using an gee-whiz charger with the circuitry to desulphate the plates, as the maker states. A mechanic pal says that dropping the battery from a couple inches can sometimes knock the crap off the plates, which has also worked for me.. at times. It's a temporary measure, only.
You still have to check the fluid level in serviceable batterys about every 4 to 6 weeks to make sure the level is up where it belongs..Failure to do this can cause the battery fluid level to fall and damage the battery..I'm not saying this is what happened to you, just wanted to mention it for the guys using, or thinking of using a maintainer/charger......WW.

Last edited by WW7; 11-14-2014 at 11:01 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Do I have a bad battery?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do I have a bad battery?