Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

aluminium radiator.. brands, opinions, advise??

Old 04-27-2014, 12:32 AM
KJ08
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aluminium radiator.. brands, opinions, advise??

I would like my LT1 to run a bit cooler in my 95. Is an aluminium radiator worth the money? How much cooler will it run? Brands? I run around 230 in traffic. Would like that to stay below 225 at any time. It gets pretty dang hot here in Dallas and summer is almost here. Please, help. Thx
Old 04-27-2014, 01:39 AM
ccrazor
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by KJ08
I would like my LT1 to run a bit cooler in my 95. Is an aluminium radiator worth the money? How much cooler will it run? Brands? I run around 230 in traffic. Would like that to stay below 225 at any time. It gets pretty dang hot here in Dallas and summer is almost here. Please, help. Thx
Before you look at changing your rad, several questions.. First, has the cooling system been flushed recently?? This includes pulling knock sensor and plug in the lower block for optimal drainage.. This includes a 50/50 replacement of antifreeze.. Have you checked the rad for any debris blocking air flow?? Our vettes are bottom feeding vacuum cleaners that can suck up any garbage you run over.. What thermostat is in it and when was it last changed?? If all is good then worry about a new rad..

Old 04-27-2014, 01:45 AM
KJ08
Intermediate

Yes and no... I just boight the car and had the coolant flushed at the lube shop. Really not sure how they drained it but the fluids are all new 50/50. On my 95 there is a small hole on the right side of radiator housing that leta you see inbetween the radiator and condensor. Its actually rather clean in there. I'm only at 65k on the ticker. Stat is stock 180. Not really wanting to put in the 160. Fans are good. Have thought bout reprogramming w hypertech 3 to adjust when fans come on. <-- bad idea???
Old 04-27-2014, 02:00 AM
ccrazor
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

No experience with reprogramming, I'm sure others will chime in on that subject.. To check the flush, loosen the knock sensor and plug and see if you get a drip of coolant. If not there could be a build up of rust blocking the hole, which means it didn't get a complete flush. You should not need to use a 160* thermostat..

Old 04-27-2014, 02:03 AM
KJ08
Intermediate

I appreciate the advice. I'll check it out. What do you drive? Any mods you can recommend ?
Old 04-27-2014, 07:52 AM
93 ragtop
Le Mans Master

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by KJ08

If you want it to run cooler, here is my recommendations. 1. Check between the radiator and condenser to make sure it is not packed with leafs, etc. This is a common problem on C4's.
2. Understand why it runs so hot, and that is the factory design. On a 93 and I think the 95 is about the same, The fans do not start until the temperature reaches 219 degrees. Now this is just first stage. The second stage fan starts at 228. This is probably the reason you are seeing 230 temps.
Now if you want it to run cooler, you need to do 2 things. You can get someone such as pcmforless in NC (a supporting vender) to reprogram the fans to come on sooner. In addition, they can adjust some other things that will help the car as well. The second thing is to change the factory 180 t-stat to a 160. And before anyone says not to use a 160 they need to do some reading on reverse flow, and the LT1 design. The factory t-stat is a 180 and not a 195, again, due to the reverse cool design. These 2 changes will probably be all you need to lower the running temps.
As far as radiators go, the Dewitts is probably the best out there. Personally I purchased a Champion 3 core alum. off of ebay. They are about $200.00 and so far it seems fine. My existing radiator was bad, so I had to replace it.
But again, I would reprogram the fans, and put the lower t-stat in first. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:27 AM
mixalive
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

I have the Champion 3 row. I purchased it direct from Champion. Slight mods to make it fit. But it has worked great over the 3 years in the car. My unit came with a lower hose outlet that was too small for the factory hose. So i use an adapter spacer from Summit. They have probably corrected this issue by now.

Last edited by mixalive; 04-27-2014 at 09:40 AM.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:34 AM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

I have used Dewitt's and am happy with it. The temp is almost the same as stock rad but it takes longer for the temps to get up there. It does cool down slightly faster. I have a 95 lt1 stock cooling system. If I ever move down south I would get the fans reprogrammed and get a 160 stat
Old 04-27-2014, 09:59 AM
C4in mesa
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I hear repeatedly "install a 160 degree thermostat". I have done this and if you are over heating or experience temps above 220 the 160 degree thermostat won't help. The 160 thermostat will Keep your coolant temps lower when the system is operating properly and on the freeway. City driving and sitting at red lights or traffic jams the temps will still get HOT. Especially when you live in Dallas or other parts of the southwest. Without lot's of airflow on the radiator it's going to get hot when the ambient temperature is over 97. I've noticed that LT -1 cars run cooler than L98 cars.

Last edited by C4in mesa; 04-27-2014 at 10:09 AM.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:30 PM
93 ragtop
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by C4in mesa
I hear repeatedly "install a 160 degree thermostat". I have done this and if you are over heating or experience temps above 220 the 160 degree thermostat won't help. The 160 thermostat will Keep your coolant temps lower when the system is operating properly and on the freeway. City driving and sitting at red lights or traffic jams the temps will still get HOT. Especially when you live in Dallas or other parts of the southwest. Without lot's of airflow on the radiator it's going to get hot when the ambient temperature is over 97. I've noticed that LT -1 cars run cooler than L98 cars.

You are correct, the t-stat alone is not going to make the car run cooler around town. Again, the reason is, the fan is not programmed to come on until 219 degrees and second fan at 228.
So with the t-stat only change, the car is going to sit and heat up until the fans come on, which is 219 degrees.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:35 PM
Graybeard ZR1
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop

If you want it to run cooler, here is my recommendations. 1. Check between the radiator and condenser to make sure it is not packed with leafs, etc. This is a common problem on C4's.
2. Understand why it runs so hot, and that is the factory design. On a 93 and I think the 95 is about the same, The fans do not start until the temperature reaches 219 degrees. Now this is just first stage. The second stage fan starts at 228. This is probably the reason you are seeing 230 temps.
Now if you want it to run cooler, you need to do 2 things. You can get someone such as pcmforless in NC (a supporting vender) to reprogram the fans to come on sooner. In addition, they can adjust some other things that will help the car as well. The second thing is to change the factory 180 t-stat to a 160. And before anyone says not to use a 160 they need to do some reading on reverse flow, and the LT1 design. The factory t-stat is a 180 and not a 195, again, due to the reverse cool design. These 2 changes will probably be all you need to lower the running temps.
As far as radiators go, the Dewitts is probably the best out there. Personally I purchased a Champion 3 core alum. off of ebay. They are about $200.00 and so far it seems fine. My existing radiator was bad, so I had to replace it.
But again, I would reprogram the fans, and put the lower t-stat in first. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Very good advice, especially removing the rad. and cleaning the area. You could also install a manual switch to control the fans from the driver's seat. It's cheap, effective, and easy to do. If you do those things you probably won't have to buy a new radiator.

BTW, my LT5, (completely different style engine) is very sensitive to high temp, and I've done the manual switch, 160f thermo, and an aluminum radiator (B'Cool- very good for 15 yrs.). All effective.

Post back, and let us know how it went.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:49 PM
93 ragtop
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Graybeard ZR1
. You could also install a manual switch to control the fans from the driver's seat. It's cheap, effective, and easy to do..

I may be wrong, but I don't think he can do a manual switch on a 95-96 car. I think the fan is actually a 2 speed fan , but I could be wrong.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:40 PM
kleptopigdog
Pro

I went with the champion radiator Works great. .As with any c4 you have to clean the radiator every year. Have the fans reprogrammed to come on earlier. I got stuck in traffic coming out of Denton yesterday ,literally crawled from from there to Allen ,never got over 205 with the a/c on. Good luck!
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...-radiator.html

Last edited by kleptopigdog; 04-27-2014 at 07:44 PM.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:51 PM
jmgtp
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 158 Posts

I also have the champion 3 core aluminum. Minor mods to fit. 160 degree thermostat, electric water pump and fans reprogrammed. Usually run in the high 170s, I've not seen it go above 190 since the above listed mods. Prior to the mods it would run as high as 230+, which is within the norm for an LT1.

Get notified of new replies

To aluminium radiator.. brands, opinions, advise??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: aluminium radiator.. brands, opinions, advise??