Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Weather Strip Kit Installed

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 01:49 PM
01 Coupe
Racer

Location: Denton, TX My goal in life is to be as good of a person that my dog already thinks I am.
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Weather Strip Kit Installed

I assume since Wilcox is a forum vendor it's Ok to put in a plug for them? I received my complete weather strip kit for my 1995 Corvette and installed it over the weekend. I have never installed weather stripping before and the job turned out like a professional had accomplished it. Willcox weather stripping is a top quality, exact fit making a novice look like a professional. The rubber was better than what originally came on the car and fit exactly without any modification. I highly recommend Willcox for anyone looking to replace their weather stripping. I also installed the outter window sweeps and the clips and holes for the rivets were dead on with the holes in the door. I was dreading this job and the only difficult part was the prep, cleaning off the old adhesive and weather stripping.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:11 PM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

Good to hear, I bought mine recently from Wilcox, but weather has been awful so I haven't been able to do it since I don't have a garage.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:17 PM
FrankieD
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 75 Posts

which kit did you use. Is there a part number? I need to replace mine as well , would like to look into it as well
Old 04-28-2014, 05:36 PM
01 Coupe
Racer

Location: Denton, TX My goal in life is to be as good of a person that my dog already thinks I am.
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankieD
which kit did you use. Is there a part number? I need to replace mine as well , would like to look into it as well
Frankie, my kit was for a '95 coupe item WST34. I also got the outer window sweeps separate from the kit. Check there website for details.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:40 PM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Same kit I used for my 96, they routinely run 15% discounts on weatherstripping here in the forum.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:03 PM
AlaJoe
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I started to buy that kit and then read their Ebay description:

"This is the imported version of the windshield header and pillar weatherstrip

This part is NOT constructed to the quality of the CRC brand weatherstrip and will probably leak on your new interior. You may have a void to fill to sell your car, you may just not care and we're fine with that. We just want you to know that this part is not up to OEM standards. Translation.. if you want a cheapo.. this is your part! :-). Warranty questions? I suppose we could send out three or four until you find one that works or get tired of installing them. But seriously, there is no warranty, we've told you in advance this part is not up to snuff... Again if you want one that is fully covered for one year, please see our other listing. "
Old 04-28-2014, 08:29 PM
John E
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by AlaJoe
I started to buy that kit and then read their Ebay description:

"This is the imported version of the windshield header and pillar weatherstrip

This part is NOT constructed to the quality of the CRC brand weatherstrip and will probably leak on your new interior. You may have a void to fill to sell your car, you may just not care and we're fine with that. We just want you to know that this part is not up to OEM standards. Translation.. if you want a cheapo.. this is your part! :-). Warranty questions? I suppose we could send out three or four until you find one that works or get tired of installing them. But seriously, there is no warranty, we've told you in advance this part is not up to snuff... Again if you want one that is fully covered for one year, please see our other listing. "

I don't believe, from reading what you posted from ebay, that this is the same kit offered to us through their site. I also bought this kit through this link and had it installed professionally. Although I have some wind noise at 80 that cannot be adjusted out, I have no leaks. Much, much, improved appearance also. Great kit that the pro even complimented.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:40 AM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by John E
I don't believe, from reading what you posted from ebay, that this is the same kit offered to us through their site. I also bought this kit through this link and had it installed professionally. Although I have some wind noise at 80 that cannot be adjusted out, I have no leaks. Much, much, improved appearance also. Great kit that the pro even complimented.
It's not the same kit, they offer a cheaper brand on ebay...see their post http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1581016581-post28.html
Old 04-29-2014, 09:54 AM
riverwalker55
Heel & Toe
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was going to order 2 kits one for the convertible top and one for the doors /body. I asked if they were made in the USA. The answer was that they were not. I was told that separate parts are. If anyone has bought kits from Wilcox, were are the kits made and how is the quality and fit. Thanks for any input.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:53 PM
LT5corsa
1994 Admiral Blue ZZZZZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 41 Posts
Northeast Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I really appreciate feedback on products for our C4's!!!

Heard a lot of positive feedback on Wilcox too.

Could we get pictures of it installed? I'm really interested in this to see how it compares to OEM

thanks!

David
Old 04-29-2014, 08:36 PM
OLD COWBOY
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default weatherstripping

Originally Posted by riverwalker55
I was going to order 2 kits one for the convertible top and one for the doors /body. I asked if they were made in the USA. The answer was that they were not. I was told that separate parts are. If anyone has bought kits from Wilcox, were are the kits made and how is the quality and fit. Thanks for any input.
very pleased with my weatherstripping from willcox.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:35 PM
Vette Jockey
Roadster Madness. 😠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,510 Likes on 864 Posts
SoCal Regional Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '13, '20-'21

Originally Posted by LT5corsa
I'm really interested in this to see how it compares to OEM

thanks!

David
I got the GM outer window sweeps and convertible top w/s from M/A. They had the original GM Packaging and were not made in the US. As I recall, some was from Mexico and some from Canada. So, the OEM was not all made in the US, either.

The important thing to remember is w/s needs to be serviced just like your paint and leather.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:01 PM
samsonb
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Has anyone with Willcox targa top weatherstripping have the rear end pieces crumble? I noticed the rear part is a rough finished compared to the center smooth finish. And so the rear part that had the unfinished look have crumbled and shriveled.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:59 AM
bill3749
Navigator

Default Weather strip

Originally Posted by samsonb
Has anyone with Willcox targa top weatherstripping have the rear end pieces crumble? I noticed the rear part is a rough finished compared to the center smooth finish. And so the rear part that had the unfinished look have crumbled and shriveled.
I have got to replace the WS on my 96 Coupe ASAP. I looked at CRC's website but from what I see they do not offer a "full" kit. Willcox has the full kit and Zip also. I have had some issues with some stuff I've gotten from Eckler's so I'm not a big fan right now. So bottom line: Who has the highest quality WS for my 96?
Old 05-05-2014, 10:10 AM
MN JIM
Intermediate

I am about to start replacing the WS on my 95. Bought the complete kit from Willcox. I have done many searches and I see there are varied opinions on whether to use adhesive or not. Some of the posts say GM did not use any adhesive when the car was built but, almost everyone who posted said the most time consuming part of the whole installation was cleaning up the old adhesive. Did GM use adhesive?
Old 05-05-2014, 12:21 PM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by MN JIM
I am about to start replacing the WS on my 95. Bought the complete kit from Willcox. I have done many searches and I see there are varied opinions on whether to use adhesive or not. Some of the posts say GM did not use any adhesive when the car was built but, almost everyone who posted said the most time consuming part of the whole installation was cleaning up the old adhesive. Did GM use adhesive?
My 96 FSM is showing adhesive was use and when I started to take a closer looker at some the weatherstrips I noticed adhesive was used.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:34 PM
Vette Jockey
Roadster Madness. 😠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,510 Likes on 864 Posts
SoCal Regional Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '13, '20-'21

Originally Posted by MN JIM
They did on my '95, nasty yellow stuff.

Get notified of new replies

To Weather Strip Kit Installed

Quick Reply: Weather Strip Kit Installed