Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

What did you do to your C4 today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 10:30 PM
tekheavy
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Took out the tone generator from inside the dash due to no warning buzzer for headlights left on, key left in ignition, etc. Bench tested it, Tried soldering a few questionable solder joints on the board. Still didn't function, so I ordered a replacement off of eBay.
Old 08-20-2018, 01:06 PM
Scrubtek
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LED's

Originally Posted by Bckmstr

what kind are those leds?
got them off amazon 52 k some change,

On Amazon 53 bucks
The following users liked this post:
Bckmstr (08-20-2018)
Old 08-20-2018, 01:11 PM
Scrubtek
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Need A Vette
Kind of a low key day around the house so decided to go after the dash and my inoperable Interior light delay module, and to replace the crappy bose stereo...so I begin ripping into it and everything is going smoothly until this...

What damned Tom Foolery is this?!?

Yes this is what shenanigans I found from the previous owner...no wonder the stereo sounded like crap...So what would have been an easy hour job now isnt! Will have to figure out which wires go to which speaker, which is for power, ground, antenna, dimmer, etc.

Disconnected the old crappy bose, and just shaking my head, saying 'WTF' to myself

D.
just use a c battery or even a 9volt to test speaker location, LF, RR,LR,RF ECT...... always halted butchering a factory harness just for a stereo
Old 08-20-2018, 07:38 PM
Yukon Corleone
Burning Brakes

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

I replaced the battery on my 1990 Corvette. This is the second time I did it myself. I couldn’t remember how but I found instructions online.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:14 PM
85 CRVET
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Wsmcdade1

They are tire stickers. Got them on eBay for less than tirestickers.com
Oh, I have heard of them. I always wondered if they would last long and if they would look right on a tire or if you would see the actual tire letters too much and the white ones would stick out from the tire. They look good though. Here’s a picture of my white letters after I just fixed them up today.

Last edited by 85 CRVET; 08-20-2018 at 10:14 PM.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:14 PM
Gutsu3
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wasted time and spent money

replaced blower motor, blower control module, a/c fuse, under hood fuse, removed interior panels to check connection at back of climate control, and still no power going to the blower motor. So I had fun.
Old 08-24-2018, 10:56 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

Old 08-25-2018, 12:37 PM
CVG323
Race Director

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Drove 400+ miles from Encino to San Francisco. Took PCH highway 1. Beautiful drive. More pics to come
Old 08-25-2018, 03:00 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by Need A Vette
Kind of a low key day around the house so decided to go after the dash and my inoperable Interior light delay module, and to replace the crappy bose stereo...so I begin ripping into it and everything is going smoothly until this...

What damned Tom Foolery is this?!?

Yes this is what shenanigans I found from the previous owner...no wonder the stereo sounded like crap...So what would have been an easy hour job now isnt! Will have to figure out which wires go to which speaker, which is for power, ground, antenna, dimmer, etc.

Disconnected the old crappy bose, and just shaking my head, saying 'WTF' to myself

D.
I don't understand why people can't just spend the few extra dollars and get the plug in factory harness to wire their aftermarket radio to??
Old 08-25-2018, 03:04 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Gutsu3
replaced blower motor, blower control module, a/c fuse, under hood fuse, removed interior panels to check connection at back of climate control, and still no power going to the blower motor. So I had fun.
Does it have a blower resistor?
Old 08-25-2018, 05:20 PM
Gutsu3
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, it’s the auto climate control with a blower control module
Old 08-25-2018, 08:33 PM
1964r2r5388
Intermediate

Drained the oil and coolant
Old 08-25-2018, 10:54 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by 1964r2r5388

Drained the oil and coolant
I hate to tell ya but you don't have to pull the engine to drain the oil and coolant!
Old 08-25-2018, 10:58 PM
CVG323
Race Director

Originally Posted by Dt86
I hate to tell ya but you don't have to pull the engine to drain the oil and coolant!
makes it easier this way.
Nows the time to change that damn opti lol
why the engine pull? Upgrading or rebuilding?
Old 08-25-2018, 11:18 PM
1964r2r5388
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CVG323

makes it easier this way.
Nows the time to change that damn opti lol
why the engine pull? Upgrading or rebuilding?
It's the Opti that started this whole thing. Leaking heater hose, corroded the harness, put in a new harness but still had issues. In the process of removing lower pulley I see that the crank moved almost a 1/4". Endplay was a little out of spec. Putting in a longblock I got through OReilly's with a 3 year warranty. The engine has 178,000 on it, crank is wiped where the thrust bearing went bad. Found that a previous owner hollowed out the cats but didn't put a sleeve pipe in so new cats are on the way. No upgrades just don't want to open up the inevitable can of worms and extra expense. Besides, I enjoyed the car the way it was and based on a few things I've seen while dis-assembling like a wiped cam lobe and the stupid catalytic converter mod it will probably perform better than it did before.
Old 08-25-2018, 11:51 PM
85 CRVET
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 34 Posts

It's the Opti that started this whole thing. Leaking heater hose, corroded the harness, put in a new harness but still had issues. In the process of removing lower pulley I see that the crank moved almost a 1/4". Endplay was a little out of spec. Putting in a longblock I got through OReilly's with a 3 year warranty. The engine has 178,000 on it, crank is wiped where the thrust bearing went bad. Found that a previous owner hollowed out the cats but didn't put a sleeve pipe in so new cats are on the way. No upgrades just don't want to open up the inevitable can of worms and extra expense. Besides, I enjoyed the car the way it was and based on a few things I've seen while dis-assembling like a wiped cam lobe and the stupid catalytic converter mod it will probably perform better than it did before.
if you have the engine out you might as well go ahead and upgrade things like the heads, Cam, and intake, who wouldn’t? you enjoy the car the way it is but I’m sure everyone would enjoy it even more with extra power hahaha
Old 08-25-2018, 11:58 PM
CVG323
Race Director

oh wow.
I’d upgrade it while out.
LT1 is not bad on power, but you can always use more power lol.
I need to change all 4 rotors because it shakes when I brake a little hard. Car only has 32K on the clock. I’m pretty sure it’s on original hardware. Also need to change out rear bearing hubs. Noisy when cold.

Get notified of new replies

To What did you do to your C4 today?

Old 08-26-2018, 07:08 PM
Haggisbash
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 198 Posts

Default Repair and modify LH door card '93 C4

Had to replace the window wiper seal and fix the door card as it wouldn't stay in place at the top. Looked at various solutions offered up online and decided to fabricate three aluminium angle brackets that help to hook the panel in place. The brackets are held in place by countersunk self tapping screws inserted from the top. Panel stays in place properly now.
Two of the ribs in the door had developed very small cracks so I reinforced them with steel brackets, screws and glue.

'93 C4 LH door card repair
Old 08-28-2018, 04:21 AM
CVG323
Race Director

Originally Posted by Haggisbash
Had to replace the window wiper seal and fix the door card as it wouldn't stay in place at the top. Looked at various solutions offered up online and decided to fabricate three aluminium angle brackets that help to hook the panel in place. The brackets are held in place by countersunk self tapping screws inserted from the top. Panel stays in place properly now.
Two of the ribs in the door had developed very small cracks so I reinforced them with steel brackets, screws and glue.

'93 C4 LH door card repair
Can you post more on the brackets you fabbed up?
Thanks in advance
Old 08-28-2018, 03:01 PM
Haggisbash
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by CVG323
Can you post more on the brackets you fabbed up?
Thanks in advance
Hi, if you mean the "hook" brackets to hold the door card onto the top of the door? Sorry I have no other pics,they are made of aluminium about 2mm thick. If you look at a door card end on you can see the angle of the top of the card that hooks onto the door, the brackets extend this and are at the same angle. I had adjust this angle when trying to get a good fit and suggest that you take the bracket off to bend it else you will likely crack the plastic where you have attached it.
The rib strengthening brackets are overkill being made of 1.5mm steel and the only reason I used steel was so that I could put a spot of weld onto the slot I had to cut to get the angle correct to match the plastic rib ( I have only got a stick welder) So really they are now like the old saying goes "an elephant is a mouse built to railway specifications".
I liked the look of another ribs repair I spotted later where someone used fibreglass chopped strand mixed with super glue to do the job. I suspect fibreglass resin might not adhere too well to the plastic?

Quick Reply: What did you do to your C4 today?