Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

C4 with no title or information worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 09:52 PM
laurieb
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Tribolet
Interesting. I'm the executor of my mom's estate, and her insurance
company (USAA) was quite happy to keep the insurance in effect. The
only restriction was that I could only drive it on estate business (which
was handy, because the estate was in Tucson and I'm in California, so
it saved the estate a bunch of car rental).

USAA had a whole department ("Survivor Relations") handling this sort
of stuff. So did AZ AAA.

Chuck
Sounds like the difference here may be having a will/trust vs. not. Seems that hcbph's MIL died intestate (he mentioned "no will.) I imagine that causes a lot more difficulty with issues that would be relatively simple if that weren't the case.

At any rate, good move on the OP's part to opt against this car. Too many nice ones at reasonable prices that you can buy can enjoy right away.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:18 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Default Misc

Yup, MIL was supposed to have had a will but it along with a number of other things were never found and apparently the lawyer didn't have to keep a copy of the will (we did find the attorney that wrote it but without the actual will that's worthless). The plates on the car were from S.C. and due to renew about 3 months after the MIL passed. It's been a few years now but IIRC it was insured by Allstate. I talked to them and they would not renew the insurance being the MIL had passed. I talked to my insurance (Kemper) and they wouldn't insure it because it was not in the wife's name. I stored the car in the garage till everything went through probate and was put into her name plus the DMV would not issue plated in Mn till probate was complete. till the car was retitled to the wife, once that was done it was a piece of cake to get both plates and insurance on it. Being the wife is an only child and the only survivor, without a producible will, everything automatically went to her without question.
This was back in 2003 and I don't think it's changed since then, at least here in Mn.

Last edited by hcbph; 05-19-2014 at 06:28 AM.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:14 AM
MRPVette
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

I bought a jeep about 20 years ago with a lost title and what a nightmare it took over a year to get it straightened out.
Old 05-24-2014, 09:31 PM
biker4ever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I too live in NC and if there is no title you will have a big headache with the dmv here
Old 05-25-2014, 12:15 AM
Chuck Tribolet
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hcbph
Yup, MIL was supposed to have had a will but it along with a number of other things were never found and apparently the lawyer didn't have to keep a copy of the will (we did find the attorney that wrote it but without the actual will that's worthless). The plates on the car were from S.C. and due to renew about 3 months after the MIL passed. It's been a few years now but IIRC it was insured by Allstate. I talked to them and they would not renew the insurance being the MIL had passed. I talked to my insurance (Kemper) and they wouldn't insure it because it was not in the wife's name. I stored the car in the garage till everything went through probate and was put into her name plus the DMV would not issue plated in Mn till probate was complete. till the car was retitled to the wife, once that was done it was a piece of cake to get both plates and insurance on it. Being the wife is an only child and the only survivor, without a producible will, everything automatically went to her without question.
This was back in 2003 and I don't think it's changed since then, at least here in Mn.
Transferring the title on the Camry was one of the easier things, even
though mom had it titled in Arizona and I was retitling it in California.
CA DMV has a standard blank sheet of paper with a place to sign
(under penalty of perjury) at the bottom. I filled out one of those,
got it smogged, took in the AZ title, and was out the door with new
CA plates and everything in about 45 minutes, most of which was
spent waiting for them to find a supervisor who could say yes.

Estate was not yet closed (still isn't a year later, had to wait until
2013 AZ income tax for the estate was filed this spring, but we are
REAL close)

Chuck
Old 05-25-2014, 10:04 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

cost of the tranny might be a bit high. I pulled my tranny, took it down to the shop. Still cost me 800 bucks to have rebuilt. (auto)
Old 05-26-2014, 06:27 AM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

With out the title I would not pay any m,ore than a parts car would be worth. From what you have described I would say about $1200-$1500 range. At least if you cant title it you can at least get your money back parting it out. With major tranny or engine issues it wouldnt be worth much to me.

Keep looking!
Old 05-27-2014, 01:31 AM
Bob89c4
Racer

Default C4 with no title.

Don't do it!
Old 05-28-2014, 04:03 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Cruisinfanatic
Against the rules asking for a carfax!
In my opinion it's up to the seller to get the title to sell a car, not the buyer.
RUN AWAY!
Regarding a carfax; did the rules change? When I joined almost 10 years ago there were a number of members who had accounts and were willing to provide a carfax for a member who was buying a vette.

Heck when I bought my 95 back in 2005 a member was nice enough to get me a carfax on the car I wanted.

To the OP a $2,500 vette is rarely a bargain. Too often it's a money pit.

Last edited by Mr. Peabody; 05-28-2014 at 04:06 PM.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:50 PM
Jaxley
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Safe!

Didn't buy it. Ended up trading my Jag for a 1990 with a 6 speed. now to chase the gremlins in it! Thanks for all the advice.

-Jason
Old 06-27-2014, 07:19 AM
Txbobcat
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

You ought to love that 6 speed.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:55 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaxley
i think i'm going to pass on it. It's an automatic. I'm in NC.

This thing is ripe with red flags!!! Would hate for ya to enter the Corvette world with a basket case, unless you knew it going in and it was a project car. And, let the seller deal with the title. On that totally!
Old 06-27-2014, 10:12 PM
Tommycourt
Racer

Originally Posted by Jaxley
i think i'm going to pass on it. It's an automatic. I'm in NC.
I just traded for a 1988 convert. that came from North Carolina and I live in Az. In Az they are really touchy on titles, I mean they will pick you to pieces on an out of state car or one that has been built from the ground up. If you already have an Az title they ask no questions, but careful from out of state vehicles. Before I took in on trade, I told the guy I traded with that I have to have a CLEAN title before I even thought of trading. As someone previously stated, it could be a HOT car or something someone tried to piece together and lost interest. I know what it's like to have Corvette bug fever, but I would suggest saving up a little more and try to find something with fewer questions. Just MY HUMBLE opinion.
Tommy

Quick Reply: C4 with no title or information worth it?