C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

84 fog light rewire

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 08:37 PM
az-Thom
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 84 fog light rewire

the 84 fog light will not work unless the headlights are turned on. I would like to rewire the fog switch so that I can turn them on independently. Has Anyone done this and if so what did you use as your power source ? Otherwise , any suggestions? I was hoping that I could remove the fog light switch from the dash and just rewire to a source under the dash and replace. Could it be that simple? LOL
Old 06-20-2014, 10:23 PM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

Default Yes - did it on my 95.

Cut the wires from the fog lights, installed a relay, installed a separate a switch on the dash, and tapped into the cigar lighter for power. I used the cigar lighter because if I recall correctly it was at least 15 amps and would only work if the car was in the "on" mode. I didn't want to risk killing the battery if i forgot to turn off the switch.
The car is in storage so I don't have the exact wiring in front of me but it can be done without any drama.
Im not sure of the org equip switch on your year, but I could not rewire mine to make it work independent of the headlights being on.

Last edited by Crossed Flags Fan; 06-20-2014 at 10:25 PM.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:41 PM
1cooldaddyo
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Crossed Flags Fan
Cut the wires from the fog lights, installed a relay, installed a separate a switch on the dash, and tapped into the cigar lighter for power. I used the cigar lighter because if I recall correctly it was at least 15 amps and would only work if the car was in the "on" mode. I didn't want to risk killing the battery if i forgot to turn off the switch.
The car is in storage so I don't have the exact wiring in front of me but it can be done without any drama.
Im not sure of the org equip switch on your year, but I could not rewire mine to make it work independent of the headlights being on.
Here's a kit that should do just what you're looking for:
http://www.mrtaillight.com/product_i...roducts_id=627
Old 06-21-2014, 02:00 PM
az-Thom
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Crossed Flags Fan
Thanks, someone else told me I couldn't use the original switch. so looks like your way will work.

Get notified of new replies

To 84 fog light rewire

Quick Reply: 84 fog light rewire