Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Restoring Interior, what's your method?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 02:48 PM
Brad-Vette
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Restoring Interior, what's your method?

Hi guys,
im restoring this 95 vette to try to get it to local car-show quality (cheap budget not barret-jackson budget though)

So my leather seats need some serious cleaning. Whats the best way to make these things look new? They have dirt/crud on the threads that i need to clean off and overall could also use some cleaning and shining up.

The Shifter plate has some light scratches, can you use fine-grit sandpaper or something to take the scratches off and make em look nice and new?

The vents and switches have gunk/dirt in the crevices, so i was thinking of using q-tip but thought someone might have better idea.

Thanks for any advice
Old 07-03-2014, 03:18 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

To clean & condition leather I like Gliptone; for cloth any good fabric cleaner should be fine.
Scratches likely need a full makeover.
Time and q-tips get all the little areas clean.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:44 PM
Brad-Vette
Racer

Thanks for the info. Anyone else with some advice? could really use some help in making this interior look nice again.
Old 07-04-2014, 12:16 AM
COCOLOCO
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=c5vette;1587278579]Hi guys,
im restoring this 95 vette to try to get it to local car-show quality (cheap budget not barret-jackson budget though)

So my leather seats need some serious cleaning. Whats the best way to make these things look new? They have dirt/crud on the threads that i need to clean off and overall could also use some cleaning and shining up.

The Shifter plate has some light scratches, can you use fine-grit sandpaper or something to take the scratches off and make em look nice and new?

The vents and switches have gunk/dirt in the crevices, so i was thinking of using q-tip but thought someone might have better idea.

Thanks for any advice[/QUOTE

For cleaning leather seats I've used good old saddle soap and a soft brush. Works pretty decent. Also recently I tried Mothers Leather Tech Foam cleaner and the leather conditioner with very good results.

For carpets/cloth I use Tuff Stuff with a stiff brush, followed by drying with a terrycloth or microfiber towel.

There's plenty of good stuff out there for vinyl cleaning/restoring. I'm partial to Mothers products, but that's just me.

I don't have an answer for light scratches other than I've used aircraft canopy cleaner and polish with good success on clear plastic parts.

For the vents, etc.if you can get access to a steamer, it works real well for that (the one I use is for wall paper removal (Wagner), but has a wand with a removable/replaceable soft bristle tip that is super for this kind of work).
Old 07-04-2014, 03:20 AM
Tommycourt
Racer

Originally Posted by c5vette
Thanks for the info. Anyone else with some advice? could really use some help in making this interior look nice again.
I used Mother's on my seats and applied it liberally and then went over it with Armorall. Be liberal with the Mother's Leather Restorer as it needs to soak in and then apply the Armorall. For carpeting I used 409 cleaner and that will really take the stains out. Vents and A/C out lets I used Armorall and put it on Q-tips. I would not try any sand paper or abrasive to try and clean the chrome. If I would try anything, I would try some jewelers rouge on a soft buffing pad but would do it in a small area first just to see how it works. Hope this may help you.
Tommy

Get notified of new replies

To Restoring Interior, what's your method?

Quick Reply: Restoring Interior, what's your method?