Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Corvettes, Summer, and High Coolant Temperatures

Old 07-17-2018, 09:51 AM
1993C4LT1
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by CVG323 View Post
So we removed radiator today, was pretty clean, washed it anyway. Then we decided to check to see if both fans were working .Left side fan was not turning on at all. So we unplugged the other fan, and made car run to 240 to see if it engaged the left side fan would turn on .it did not .so we grounded it out and it engaged. I now have a switch under the driver side knee cover thingy. I can turn it off and on as I please. Car ran at 178 All the way home. Feels good .
​​​​
Nice! Fans are often overlooked but glad you found the problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to 1993C4LT1 For This Useful Post:
CVG323 (07-17-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 03:19 PM
CVG323
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1993C4LT1 View Post
Nice! Fans are often overlooked but glad you found the problem.
I thought both were turning on. glad it was a simple fix.
The Following User Says Thank You to CVG323 For This Useful Post:
1993C4LT1 (07-17-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 11:29 PM
mist979

Yes, I'm a noob. Great thread here.
I have a 92 which temps just continue to climb as I drive. It will run in the 240's even on the highway and it got up to 250 once. I'm going to get into the shroud and clean the rad and ac coils pretty soon (when I get some time).

For now I'm just driving to and from work which isn't too bad as it's just under a 15 minute drive without much stop and go on all county roads. It will get up to about 220f which I can live with for now.

I am curious though. In comparison to the Dewitts 2 core at about $500 - there's the Champion 3 core sold on Jegs and Ecklers for around $230ish. The Champion looks well constructed and the price is reasonable.

Does anyone have an opinion on the Champion?

If I decide to replace the radiator, since this is a 26 year old car and I can reasonably assume this is the original radiator in it (Not a bad idea to replace it), I would think the 3 core would be better, and closer to $200 seems very reasonable to me for a radiator.
Old 07-26-2018, 06:55 PM
CVG323
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by mist979 View Post
Yes, I'm a noob. Great thread here.
I have a 92 which temps just continue to climb as I drive. It will run in the 240's even on the highway and it got up to 250 once. I'm going to get into the shroud and clean the rad and ac coils pretty soon (when I get some time).

For now I'm just driving to and from work which isn't too bad as it's just under a 15 minute drive without much stop and go on all county roads. It will get up to about 220f which I can live with for now.

I am curious though. In comparison to the Dewitts 2 core at about $500 - there's the Champion 3 core sold on Jegs and Ecklers for around $230ish. The Champion looks well constructed and the price is reasonable.

Does anyone have an opinion on the Champion?

If I decide to replace the radiator, since this is a 26 year old car and I can reasonably assume this is the original radiator in it (Not a bad idea to replace it), I would think the 3 core would be better, and closer to $200 seems very reasonable to me for a radiator.
I asked the same question in the Tech forum. everyone said go with DeWitts.
ebay has sales all the time, just make sure you catch one
I'm waiting for the next sale.

as for the temp issue, make sure your 2nd fan is coming on. mine wasnt and I had to run a switch to turn it on manually. now its on all time. with no traffic I cruise at 194. during traffic it climbs up to 238 (stop and go)
oh I also have a 160 thermostat
Old 08-07-2018, 08:33 AM
mist979

Originally Posted by CVG323 View Post
ill try and remove it tomorrow to washout the current radiator and I'll install the new thermostat. Been busy this entire week with work and changing the valve seals on it.

I opened mine up to clean the radiator as this is a very common cause of these cars running hot. Attached pic shows just how clogged mine was. I then discovered the radiator was leaking. Not surprising for a 26 year old vehicle. So I bought the Champion 2 core economy for $180 something. I'm very pleased with it so far. Runs in the mid 190's with a 180 thermostat. Pretty normal operating temperature if you ask me.
Old 08-12-2018, 01:07 PM
Joe K
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

After doing my front air dam repair ( see: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...t-spoiler.html). I have not experienced any temp above 210 even on surface streets w/90+ temps (AC on normal or off) or on a 100+ highway trip. AC seems cooler also. Check out the thread and if your air dam looks like the upper pic or is completely missing I suggest the repair or upgrade. This only applies to certain earlier C4. And as always YMMV. Thanks for looking.

Joe K.

Last edited by Joe K; 08-12-2018 at 01:08 PM.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:49 PM
Pyepye
NAVSAR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Default cooling fans 1991

I have a 1991 6sp conv,...just got her running new fuel (everything). Cannot get the primary cooling fan to come on, the AC/secondary fan comes on at about 138 F or so, I jumped terminals A & B on the under dash connector, both fans came as advertised, I swaped the fan relays, same issue, so I hot wired the cooling fan to a switch i mounted in the cab, works great, I flip the switch at about 220 F and it stays cool in traffic.

1) I want to fix it right but am stumped,,,,,,

2) are the fans two speeds on the 1991 C4 base model?, 6 speed conv....

3) I have 12 volts to the fan, is it running on high speed? What can I hurt by hot wiriring my fan, (i did put an in-line) fuse, It stays below the 220s F now........

thanks for any help
Pyepye
Old 12-07-2018, 07:50 PM
DGXR
CF Senior Member

Default Benefits of a new thermostat

Since my 1995 LT1 always ran about 196F on the highway, I assumed my thermostat is working properly.
During a recent cooling system service, I replaced the thermostat, just because. I used a standard temperature 180F MotoRad thermostat. I am happy to report that my temperatures have dropped 8-10 degrees overall. In the city I’m now around 190 when previously I was around 198-200. (our ambient temps have been much lower recently which I'm sure has a big affect here - we will see how it goes next summer.) And on the highway I’m now about 188 instead of 196. The car is completely stock and I can't say there was anything wrong with the old unit, or if the brand name of the new unit has any impact...? And I did not test the new thermostat before installing. All I know is I'm much happier with my digital temp readouts.
So don’t underestimate the effect of a new thermostat, I know I will never do it again!
EDIT: after a spirited drive this evening, it seems like the slightly cooler running temperature is allowing more spark advance -- I've had this car for 5 years and it has never pulled so hard! Wheeeee...

Last edited by DGXR; 12-08-2018 at 01:34 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Corvettes, Summer, and High Coolant Temperatures

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: