C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

3 things I can't figure out

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 05:28 AM
Rebel Rev
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 things I can't figure out

I have 3 things about my 88 that I can't figure out and haven't worried about because the car generally goes well. But maybe I should find out just in case something serious is going on.

1. Ever since I got the car, if I put my foot down when driving in the city at around 35 mph or slower I get noise from the motor... you could call it a clicking sound... doesn't do it at a higher speed when I put the pedal down.

2. For as long as I have had the car, if I lift up the hood and start it I sometimes can see a vapour or light smoke come up from the right hand side of the motor near the firewall. It only lasts a few seconds.

3. Recently, I have notice a very slight 'putt putt' sound coming at of the right exhaust when I go to the back of the car and have a listen when the car is in idle. It doesn't do it all the time... probably one 'putt putt' every 60 seconds.

The car idles perfectly and since I bought it over a year ago have driven it a lot without any major problems... even driven it interstate twice. Each round trip was about 800 miles.

The car has done 95,000 miles. I was told just after the I bought the car that the valve seals needed replacing and it does blow some smoke on start up.

Any comment of what may be going on would be much appreciated.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:55 AM
BOOT77
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

1 prob spark knock

2 prob oil leak and it's burning off

3 no clue, maybe your mufflers falling apart inside. I just had one side fall off my 86 and cut the other off, both orig and when I picked up one big chunks inside were rattling around.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:41 AM
Rebel Rev
Instructor

Originally Posted by BOOT77
1 prob spark knock

2 prob oil leak and it's burning off

3 no clue, maybe your mufflers falling apart inside. I just had one side fall off my 86 and cut the other off, both orig and when I picked up one big chunks inside were rattling around.
Thanks for that...

1. So with a spark knock, what can I do about that... I have put new spark plugs in 8 months ago but that didn't stop it...

2. It does it instantly on start up so everything is cold... like a puff of vapour or smoke... I get out of the car to start it up so I am looking down at where it is coming from but haven't been able to pin point where it's coming from.

2. Yes, one of my exhaust pipes dropped down on the weekend at the back after a bracket snapped off, I reckon they have been on a long time... The previous owner took off the 2 back mufflers, leaving the 2 at the front and 1 in the centre... I think they are smog stuff.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:43 AM
Rebel Rev
Instructor

[QUOTE=Rebel Rev;1587408603]Thanks for that...

Should be 3...

3. Yes, one of my exhaust pipes dropped down on the weekend at the back after a bracket snapped off, I reckon they have been on a long time... The previous owner took off the 2 back mufflers, leaving the 2 at the front and 1 in the centre... I think they are smog stuff.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:50 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebel Rev
2. For as long as I have had the car, if I lift up the hood and start it I sometimes can see a vapour or light smoke come up from the right hand side of the motor near the firewall. It only lasts a few seconds.

You may want to have a look at the EGR tube, from exhaust manifold to intake manifold.
May have a leak at either end.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:17 AM
Rebel Rev
Instructor

Originally Posted by AGENT 86
You may want to have a look at the EGR tube, from exhaust manifold to intake manifold.
Thanks... will look at that in the morning.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:21 AM
BOOT77
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

Spark knock could be many things, I'd check for vac leaks, mine had one when I got the car and it was the egr tube into the intake and that could be your smoke too! When you said right side I figured drivers, if it's passenger side could vary well be egr like Agent 86 said. Also assumed you meant when just opening the hood and I know from my leaking valve covers I would see some smoke rise from the hot engine after I opened the hood.

edit: nm I see your an asussie and my driver pass is diff.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:51 AM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

1. Detonation. Are you running premium fuel?

2. Coolant leak evaporating .

3. Missfire.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:17 PM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

When was the last full tune up?...

Check the ignition timing, should be 6* BTC. Are you using 91 octane or higher?...
Old 07-21-2014, 12:35 PM
wydopnthrtl
Drifting

Received 290 Likes on 187 Posts

1. Spark knock.... Small vacuum leak, too low of octane, Too much timing (chip?), excessive carbon in combustion chamber, plug wires cross talking (too close to each other), or maybe a dirty MAF.

2. Intake bolts loose and causing oil to drip down engine. Check the TQ of the intake bolts (might want to replace gaskets too)

3. Much tougher to judge. I'd guess its an intemitent misfire. Could be a dirty injector, a weak spark, or some forign material causing an incomplete burn (like oil or coolant) leaking into the combustion chamber.

Little smoke on startup of a SBC is an age old sign of leaking valve stem seals. Is there a SBC w/100k+ miles that doesn't give a puff? ;-)

I'd: Check all vacuum hoses, clean the MAF wire (special spray), reset the TPS, put a little dielectric grease on all engine related electrical connections, check battery ground wire, and check ignition system strength. (resistanc in plug wires, plugs gapped properly)

Last edited by wydopnthrtl; 07-21-2014 at 12:39 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:20 PM
Rebel Rev
Instructor

Originally Posted by GKK
When was the last full tune up?...

Check the ignition timing, should be 6* BTC. Are you using 91 octane or higher?...
Booking it in for a tune up... had it over a year without a tune up and most likely the previous owner didn't get it tuned for some time as well.

Use 91 Octane
Old 07-21-2014, 09:23 PM
Rebel Rev
Instructor

Originally Posted by BOOT77
Spark knock could be many things, I'd check for vac leaks, mine had one when I got the car and it was the egr tube into the intake and that could be your smoke too! When you said right side I figured drivers, if it's passenger side could vary well be egr like Agent 86 said. Also assumed you meant when just opening the hood and I know from my leaking valve covers I would see some smoke rise from the hot engine after I opened the hood.

edit: nm I see your an asussie and my driver pass is diff.
Yes, an Aussie... RHD...
Old 07-21-2014, 09:30 PM
touyech2883
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the exhaust manifold for a cracke or the sec air injection for leaks.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:32 PM
Rebel Rev
Instructor

Originally Posted by wydopnthrtl
1. Spark knock.... Small vacuum leak, too low of octane, Too much timing (chip?), excessive carbon in combustion chamber, plug wires cross talking (too close to each other), or maybe a dirty MAF.

2. Intake bolts loose and causing oil to drip down engine. Check the TQ of the intake bolts (might want to replace gaskets too)

3. Much tougher to judge. I'd guess its an intemitent misfire. Could be a dirty injector, a weak spark, or some forign material causing an incomplete burn (like oil or coolant) leaking into the combustion chamber.

Little smoke on startup of a SBC is an age old sign of leaking valve stem seals. Is there a SBC w/100k+ miles that doesn't give a puff? ;-)

I'd: Check all vacuum hoses, clean the MAF wire (special spray), reset the TPS, put a little dielectric grease on all engine related electrical connections, check battery ground wire, and check ignition system strength. (resistanc in plug wires, plugs gapped properly)
The weird thing is the car idles perfectly and country drives are smooth and the engine runs well. I checked out the EGR tube and it seems fine and I think the smoke on cold start up comes from further down, mostly likely from the catalytic converter area. There is two of them on each side.

Yes, not too worried about the puff of smoke on start up as I was told when I first bought the car that was a common thing.

Will check the things you highlighted.

Thanks.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:35 PM
Rebel Rev
Instructor

Originally Posted by AGENT 86
Checked it today and all looks fine. No leaks either end.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:50 PM
Rebel Rev
Instructor

Originally Posted by touyech2883
Check the exhaust manifold for a cracke or the sec air injection for leaks.
Got my partner to start the car when I was laying down on the right hand side with a torch and beamed it on the right hand side catalytic converter.

There it was on cold startup, a puff of smoke came out of it. Probably why I have that 'putt putt' sound coming out of the exhaust on the right hand side as well.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:48 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Sounds like loose exhaust manifold bolts. When mine came loose one of them was sticking out about 3/8". It always seems to be the two rear ones that loosen...

Get notified of new replies

To 3 things I can't figure out

Old 07-23-2014, 08:48 AM
blackozvet
Melting Slicks

Received 278 Likes on 215 Posts

Howdy Rebel, just curious, what suburb are you from, are you a Corvette club member ?
Old 07-23-2014, 08:59 AM
Rebel Rev
Instructor

Originally Posted by blackozvet
Howdy Rebel, just curious, what suburb are you from, are you a Corvette club member ?
No not a member. It's RHD.

I am more of a motorbike person and ride them a lot. I loved the look of the C4 and had to have one.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:02 AM
Rebel Rev
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
Sounds like loose exhaust manifold bolts. When mine came loose one of them was sticking out about 3/8". It always seems to be the two rear ones that loosen...
Next week it's going into get checked... will get whatever it is fixed.

Quick Reply: 3 things I can't figure out