Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

my 1990 corvette alarm wont shut off and wont let me start the car

Old 08-18-2014, 12:03 AM
cyndy
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my 1990 corvette alarm wont shut off and wont let me start the car

I misplace my door key so i tryed to unlock the door and now the anti theft alarm wont shut off and wont let me start how can i fix that .. ?
Old 08-18-2014, 01:40 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

The only way to shut off the alarm is to unlock the car with the key in the door. There is a switch on the lock cylinder that turns off the alarm.

The only way to get around this is to ground the alarm disarm wire that goes to that switch, which is what keyless entry systems do.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:06 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,016 Posts

Originally Posted by cyndy
I misplace my door key so i tryed to unlock the door and now the anti theft alarm wont shut off and wont let me start how can i fix that .. ?
If you've actually lost your door key take registration and ID to GM dealer and they should be able to retrieve the key codes for you and cut you a door key. Don't even bother going without registration, current insurance certificate can work and a picture ID.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:25 AM
vl5150
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had mine go off in the pep boys parking lot and I didn't know how to disable it so I unhooked the horns under the hood. I quickly checked the trusty corvette forum and was able to disarm it using the door key.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:38 PM
ozzyrulesme
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do u set the alarm on a 90. Didn't know it had one. How dose it go off? Thanks !
Old 08-19-2014, 02:19 PM
RollaMo-LT4
Race Director

Received 141 Likes on 116 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by ozzyrulesme
How do u set the alarm on a 90.
By locking and closing the doors.

Didn't know it had one. How dose it go off? Thanks !
By opening the door without first using the door key to disarm.
Example: Reaching in through an open window and unlocking/opening the door will set the alarm off.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:32 AM
wmckusick
3rd Gear

Default disarming?

Ok so the alarm shuts off, start the car, move it shut it off, get out and then when re-entering it goes off.

Is the switch bad? or am I to lock and unlock the car everytime I want to get in?

FYI-I just bought the car recently but this is the first time this seems to be happening.
Old 05-13-2015, 03:11 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by wmckusick
Ok so the alarm shuts off, start the car, move it shut it off, get out and then when re-entering it goes off.

Is the switch bad? or am I to lock and unlock the car everytime I want to get in?

FYI-I just bought the car recently but this is the first time this seems to be happening.
If you don't lock the car the alarm will not be armed.

If you do lock the car then you will have to use the key to turn off the alarm. ...or get a keyless entry system (which is what I did).
Old 05-13-2015, 05:58 AM
wmckusick
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
If you don't lock the car the alarm will not be armed.

If you do lock the car then you will have to use the key to turn off the alarm. ...or get a keyless entry system (which is what I did).
Thanks Cliff, couldn't get it to go off again under normal operation...must of been a sticky contact or some gremlin hiding, waiting to wake me up by sounding off at 5 a.m. Ah my neighbors love it!
Old 05-13-2015, 12:32 PM
jimmers
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by wmckusick
Thanks Cliff, couldn't get it to go off again under normal operation...must of been a sticky contact or some gremlin hiding, waiting to wake me up by sounding off at 5 a.m. Ah my neighbors love it!
If the security light is flashing on the dash, it's unarmed. If the light is solid, it's armed.

I had a sticking door lock on my drivers side, so sometimes the car would be armed without me knowing it. When I opened the door the alarm would go off.
Old 05-13-2015, 01:36 PM
tbirdsps
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

1. The only way to set the alarm is to lock the doors electrically, not manually. i.e use the electric switch and not the slide.

2. Only way to disarm is with the key used in either door to unlock per the owners manual.

3. Often I put the windows up with the top off and lock the doors. It's really hard to reach in and steal anything. I left the driving lights on and reached in and turned them off and immediately the alarm sounded. Apparently moving any switch that's powered with the ignition off will sound the alarm. I haven't tried the center console yet or the hatch button in the console but I'd suspect that will sound the alarm too.
Old 05-22-2023, 04:39 PM
Supermutt
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by tbirdsps
1. The only way to set the alarm is to lock the doors electrically, not manually. i.e use the electric switch and not the slide.

2. Only way to disarm is with the key used in either door to unlock per the owners manual.

3. Often I put the windows up with the top off and lock the doors. It's really hard to reach in and steal anything. I left the driving lights on and reached in and turned them off and immediately the alarm sounded. Apparently moving any switch that's powered with the ignition off will sound the alarm. I haven't tried the center console yet or the hatch button in the console but I'd suspect that will sound the alarm too.

Old thread resurrection #3
On my 90 6 speed,
i removed the inner door panels (weatherstripping) and while in there;
fixed wiring on pass door, fixed driver door ajar button.
cleaned lubed jiggled and white litho'd the door locks.

Pass lock works great manually, key & electrically
driver lock is still stiff, the key can't unlock it, manually it's stiff and electrically it doesn't lock.

I manuallly unlocked the driver door after trying to electrically lock it, the battery has been connected and disconnected 100 times, the security light flashes.

i'm in the middle of a no crank situation which is probably not alarm related, BUT, i want to disable, disconnect and otherwise
un-kybosh this mess and certainly appreciate some help in doing so.
my plan----
unplug the electric door switches keep passengers from setting the alarm even after i ask them to not lock the door and/or whatever else has to be unplugged, removed or grounded. I read something on this thread to ground the door key lock power line, how do i ground that? Is it literally run a wire from the key lock to a ground ie the frame ?

I'll try rotating the key 90 ccw even tho the security light blinks because who knows what electrical devil worshipping has been done before i got the car considering what i've found under the pass dash, inside pass door and a diode or whatever it is ???? duct taped to what i'm pretty sure is the brake light switch.

I got the factory service manual and electrical supplement, some of it is overcomplicated and flipping back forth looking at diagrams and trying to figure out what connector is what and why some drawings don't have wire colors is dragging this out real bad.

raining all week so reading and making notes today, the car will be up on the qwik jacks tomorrow until this is resolved which means they will get rained on heavy.
Thanks.
Old 05-23-2023, 05:04 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,261 Likes on 1,446 Posts

@Supermutt firstly, can you confirm that your horn button is working? like you press the horn and it makes a horn sound?

If the horns have been unplugged in the engine bay (by right and left headlights) plug them back in. Are they beeping? Are they constant blaring or beeping?

Get notified of new replies

To my 1990 corvette alarm wont shut off and wont let me start the car

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: my 1990 corvette alarm wont shut off and wont let me start the car