C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Removing Lower Shift Boot - '90 ZF 6 Speed

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 11:19 PM
C4ProjectCar
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Removing Lower Shift Boot - '90 ZF 6 Speed

Like the title says, I'm removing my lower rubber shift boot. Right now I (along with the boot) am stuck. Here's what I've done so far:
I removed the screws that hold the console into place around the shifter. Then I - using a flatblade screwdriver - removed the piece from the top of the shift ****. There is a pin under that cover, which I removed. After that, I unscrewed the shift ****. Next, I loosened the set screw on the front of the reverse lockout collar (it's a 1/16" hex) and removed the collar. There should be four acorn nuts holding the rubber shift boot on, which come off next. Mine was missing one, so I just removed 3. There was also a zip-tie going through the front of the shift boot to hold it down that I clipped off. Pretty sure some mechanic for the PO dropped the transmission and did a crappy job putting it back together, losing the nut and adding the zip-tie. After that, I pulled up the bottom of the shift boot from what is is glued to.
My problem is that I can't get the back of the shift boot up. It's like it's secured to something down there. A lower strip of rubber on the shift boot peeled off when I pulled, so I just cut it. Now I have the strip stuck there with the rest of the boot already removed. Here are a couple pictures:

Old 08-20-2014, 11:29 PM
don hall
Safety Car

Received 218 Likes on 172 Posts

Helped one member, may help you (?):

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...g-console.html
Old 08-20-2014, 11:33 PM
C4ProjectCar
Drifting

Originally Posted by seabright
Helped one member, may help you (?):

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...g-console.html
Thanks, but that doesn't appear to be very similar to the C4 shift boot.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:37 PM
don hall
Safety Car

Originally Posted by C4ProjectCar
Thanks, but that doesn't appear to be very similar to the C4 shift boot.
You are so right..... C6.... I should be more observant ..... will search again.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:39 PM
don hall
Safety Car

Trying again.....http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-g...t-removal.html
Old 08-21-2014, 12:44 AM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

Like the title says, I'm removing my lower rubber shift boot. Right now I (along with the boot) am stuck. Here's what I've done so far:

I think if you remove the four (three appear in your photo) nuts and the sheet metal cover they hold down, then the rest of the old boot will come right off; you do have a new lower shift boot?
Old 08-21-2014, 01:01 AM
C4ProjectCar
Drifting

Those nuts are actually for the shifter linkage. It doesn't look like taking them off would help. But I appreciate your input.
Right now I'm thinking that the edge of the boot is pinched between the transmission and the panel it's under.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:33 AM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,680 Likes on 1,028 Posts

To remove the lower boot you have to remove the shifter box from the body of the transmission. In addition, the boot is secured by two zip ties at the factory.

As you can see in the pics below, the only way to remove it in the manner you're attempting is by destroying it...

Old 08-21-2014, 02:37 AM
C4ProjectCar
Drifting

Hmm, so will I have to remove the shift box to get the new one back on? If so, is that possible without dropping the transmission? I'm beginning to wonder what kind of can of worms I've opened...
Regardless, thanks for the help. The pictures are really helpful and gave me a better idea of how everything is oriented in regards to the transmission and shift box.

EDIT: Wait - there are two lower boots it would appear. There's the "regular" lower boot that sticks up around the shifter and then there's the one beneath that shown in the picture around the shift box. I'm talking about the regular one, to clarify.

Last edited by C4ProjectCar; 08-21-2014 at 02:40 AM.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:10 AM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,680 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Hmm, so will I have to remove the shift box to get the new one back on? If so, is that possible without dropping the transmission? I'm beginning to wonder what kind of can of worms I've opened...
Regardless, thanks for the help. The pictures are really helpful and gave me a better idea of how everything is oriented in regards to the transmission and shift box.

EDIT: Wait - there are two lower boots it would appear. There's the "regular" lower boot that sticks up around the shifter and then there's the one beneath that shown in the picture around the shift box. I'm talking about the regular one, to clarify.
There are not two lower boots. There is one, as shown in the pics above. The upper boot on yours is already removed or missing. It is held in place by 4 acorn nuts that attached to the studs shown in your pics and it fits around a lip on the transmission tunnel. Fitting the new boot over the lip on the drivers side of the tunnel is difficult, but can be done with a bit of patience.

The upper boot can be seen in this pic....

Old 08-21-2014, 02:18 PM
C4ProjectCar
Drifting

Originally Posted by 96GS#007
There are not two lower boots. There is one, as shown in the pics above. The upper boot on yours is already removed or missing. It is held in place by 4 acorn nuts that attached to the studs shown in your pics and it fits around a lip on the transmission tunnel. Fitting the new boot over the lip on the drivers side of the tunnel is difficult, but can be done with a bit of patience.

The upper boot can be seen in this pic....

I'm starting to get confused. According to what I've read, the leather boot is the upper boot, and the rubber one with the acorn nuts (seems redundant; pun definitely intended) is the lower boot. Then there's the rubber around the bottom and sides of the shift box, which I don't think is technically a shifter boot.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:46 PM
C4ProjectCar
Drifting

Well, the strip of rubber that was pinched back there came out when I just pulled really hard. I'd gotten to the point that I was planning to leave it in there until I drop the transmission so I was pulling to tear it, and it just popped out.
But now putting the new one back in is even harder. Because the rubber sleeve around the shift box is torn in the back, because of all the tar-like glue, and because of that tight spot where the rubber was stuck in the back, I can't get the boot in all the way. Right now I plan to just bolt it on with a corner sticking up and leave it until I drop the transmission.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:11 PM
C4ProjectCar
Drifting

Apparently it was on there wrong. That caused both the initial problem (the old one being stuck) and the new problem (the new one not going in). The correct way appears for the shift boot to be entirely outside the rectangular hole, going over the raised lip around it.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:50 PM
helphos
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 72 Posts

Default ZF6 fun

Are you installing a Hurst short throw shifter?? I'm looking at doing that chore and it looks Like I'd have to do a lot of the same steps.
Paul
Old 08-24-2014, 08:38 PM
C4ProjectCar
Drifting

Originally Posted by helphos
Are you installing a Hurst short throw shifter?? I'm looking at doing that chore and it looks Like I'd have to do a lot of the same steps.
Paul
No, although I've heard of plenty of people that have. I'm just learning to drive a stick so I figured I'd stick with the stock one for now.
From what I've seen, you do have to do a lot of the same stuff. What I did shouldn't have been that hard - other than putting the lower boot back on - in a normal situation (one where the lower boot wasn't improperly installed).

Get notified of new replies

To Removing Lower Shift Boot - '90 ZF 6 Speed

Quick Reply: Removing Lower Shift Boot - '90 ZF 6 Speed