!988 cranks but won't start intermittently

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 02:43 PM
spartangreek
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default !988 cranks but won't start intermittently

Hi,
newbie here. Just bought a 1988 coupe 4+3 coupe torch red w/black interior, in extremely clean condition. It runs great but after it gets up to temperature and is driven a while and is shut off it won't start when I get back in it. have to wait a few hours and it will fire right up again with just a turn of the key. This has happened to me three times now (every time I've taken it out). I had it towed to a chevy dealer and hope they will be able to fix it however the previous owner had the same problem and had a dealer replace the O2 sensor, EGR valve, complete tune up with new plugs, wires, rotor, cap, and distributor, (3) new catalytic converters, new burn off relays, cleaned bottle throttle, checked fuel injectors, fuel pressure, fuel pressure regulator, coolant sensor, all checked out "OK". they said the coil showed signs of arcing but nothing was done about it. It had 73,900 miles on it. I smell fuel after a couple of unsuccessful tries to start it. I'm afraid the dealer will run up a huge bill with no remedy! please help...!!!
Old 09-28-2014, 10:08 PM
jv9999
Melting Slicks

Received 317 Likes on 271 Posts

I assume you mean it's turns over but won't start? When it won't start you go through the basics. Does it have spark? Does it have fuel pressure? Does the fuel pressure leak down when it's shut off? Are the injectors firing?

This shouldn't be a tough one to solve as long as you can reproduce the problem.

Last edited by jv9999; 09-29-2014 at 01:19 PM.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:09 AM
JCrock
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Any computer codes?

If you're smelling fuel after unsuccessful starts, I'm guessing you've got no spark. I'd replace the coil. Heat from driving the car or even more so from heat soak once the engine is shut off will cause higher resistance in the coil and that can cause it to fail under hot start conditions, which is exactly what you are experiencing. They should have replaced the coil if they noticed it was arcing anyhow.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:32 AM
spartangreek
Advanced

Originally Posted by JCrock
Any computer codes?

If you're smelling fuel after unsuccessful starts, I'm guessing you've got no spark. I'd replace the coil. Heat from driving the car or even more so from heat soak once the engine is shut off will cause higher resistance in the coil and that can cause it to fail under hot start conditions, which is exactly what you are experiencing. They should have replaced the coil if they noticed it was arcing anyhow.
thanks the coil is a good idea! I'm having them replace the coil and ignition control module. all of the basic stuffjv999 suggested has already been done as I stated in my initial post. the engine does crank went it won't start. It runs like new, very strong when it starts up. It will be a great vette once I get the problem solved I boiught an '88 convertible "new" and then got a '68 big block w/tri power. then owned a '96 LT4 collector's edition and then a 2004 convertible. been without a vette for 8 years now and found this clean '88 which was my first love! thanks for all of your help!
Old 09-29-2014, 01:22 PM
jv9999
Melting Slicks

Received 317 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by spartangreek
thanks the coil is a good idea! I'm having them replace the coil and ignition control module. all of the basic stuffjv999 suggested has already been done as I stated in my initial post. the engine does crank went it won't start. It runs like new, very strong when it starts up. It will be a great vette once I get the problem solved I boiught an '88 convertible "new" and then got a '68 big block w/tri power. then owned a '96 LT4 collector's edition and then a 2004 convertible. been without a vette for 8 years now and found this clean '88 which was my first love! thanks for all of your help!
In my opinion, you're just throwing parts at it hoping you get lucky (which you may). An engine that won't start should be easy to diagnose if your mechanic has a clue.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:07 PM
floridamale
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 09-29-2014, 11:28 PM
spartangreek
Advanced

Originally Posted by jv9999
In my opinion, you're just throwing parts at it hoping you get lucky (which you may). An engine that won't start should be easy to diagnose if your mechanic has a clue.
Found the problem!
the dealer drove it out of the shop in the morning and parked it. When they went out later to drive it back in it fortunately would not start. they were able to troubleshoot it at that point and ascertain that it had a faulty powertrain control module! I will have it back in a few days and be back on the road! thanks to all!.....

Last edited by spartangreek; 09-29-2014 at 11:29 PM. Reason: to add thanks
Old 09-30-2014, 03:50 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by spartangreek
it had a faulty powertrain control module!
'88s don't have a powertrain control module. Only an ECM (Electronic Control Module -- some call it an Engine Control Module, but we laugh at them, so don't do that).
Old 09-30-2014, 11:59 AM
spartangreek
Advanced

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
'88s don't have a powertrain control module. Only an ECM (Electronic Control Module -- some call it an Engine Control Module, but we laugh at them, so don't do that).
you are right. I called the service manager and he said he erroneously referred to it as a PCM when it is actually an ECM. I guess these 88's are too old for most of these younger technicians! I was lucky they were able to find a dealership that still had an ECM lying around. some of these parts are getting hard to find!

Get notified of new replies

To !988 cranks but won't start intermittently

Quick Reply: !988 cranks but won't start intermittently