Received 171 Likes on 148 Posts

90-up fog light wiring

Old 12-03-2014, 01:45 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Default 1986 Fog Light Wiring Diagram

Mine looks similar to the 1990 posted above:

Last edited by Cliff Harris; 12-03-2014 at 01:45 AM. Reason: Added title.
Old 12-04-2014, 02:06 PM
dolbnyc
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had similar issues on my AUDI with LED tail lights and it turned out the I needed to install some LED resistors. You may want to look into that first since it would be on the headlight side and easier than running a new harness with relays.
Old 12-04-2014, 02:52 PM
Hary Gahtoe
Drifting

Received 331 Likes on 218 Posts

Has anyone tried just an LED H4 (low/high beam) bulb?

Old 12-04-2014, 10:03 PM
gdl2165
Pro

Received 116 Likes on 83 Posts

Interesting, had not seen those before. Looks like we need a guinea pig.
Old 12-04-2014, 10:16 PM
gdl2165
Pro

I finally heard back from Daniel Stern yesterday, I will not be buying anything from him.

I've been thinking about the fog light issue and I may possibly be onto something simpler than the relay harness. Since apparently the fix to the fogs is to get the headlights grounded directly, rather than through the factory lighting harness, I'm going to try these. I'll just cut the ground wire on these adapters and then run the ground direct from the headlights to the frame. I ordered these off ebay last night but won't get a chance to do the install until the week of Christmas. I'll take pics and report back with the results then.

H4 light extensions
Old 12-04-2014, 10:43 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Originally Posted by gdl2165
I finally heard back from Daniel Stern yesterday, I will not be buying anything from him.
Why not?
Old 12-04-2014, 10:46 PM
gdl2165
Pro

The email I got back from him was very condescending in regard to the whole fog light issue in general. While he undoubtedly knows his stuff I just didn't care for the tone.
Old 12-04-2014, 10:53 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

The email I got back from him was very condescending in regard to the whole fog light issue in general. While he undoubtedly knows his stuff I just didn't care for the tone.
Good to know.. Has a feel that is what it was and get I have never communicated with him
Old 12-05-2014, 10:29 AM
mako41
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I've been thinking about the fog light issue and I may possibly be onto something simpler than the relay harness. Since apparently the fix to the fogs is to get the headlights grounded directly, rather than through the factory lighting harness, I'm going to try these. I'll just cut the ground wire on these adapters and then run the ground direct from the headlights to the frame. I ordered these off ebay last night but won't get a chance to do the install until the week of Christmas. I'll take pics and report back with the results then.

H4 light extensions
I think you said you had an early 90's 'vette, if thats the case your fogs are already directly grounded to the frame, unlike the fogs in my '89. Check out the schematics posted above.

Your simple possible solution is exactly what I have been saying. No need to run a redundant headlight harness, find a way to power the fogs directly, bypassing the OEM harness design that doesn't allow the fogs and hi-beams to lite together. The thing is I'm not sure running a direct ground from the OEM headlight harness will correct this problem for your model year, but it may actually work for my '89 that doesn't have grounds running directly from the OEM fogs. Interesting!

It looks like you need study the foglight relay circuit and find a simple work around for that. On my '89 it appears the fogs are grounded thru the pass. side headlight, no OEM relays for me, they don't have a direct independent ground like you have. This would require a different solution for you than for me.

Let us know what you find out, or if you configure something that works for your model year 'vette.

Last edited by mako41; 12-05-2014 at 10:41 AM.
Old 12-05-2014, 11:28 AM
gdl2165
Pro

Mine's actually a 96, which I understand has the fogs grounded through the high beam filament. You're right, I do need to spend some time studying that schematic. I paid less than $9 for those adapters so if they don't work out then at least I'm not out much money. It'll be a couple weeks before I get the chance to work on this but I'll report my results back.
Old 12-05-2014, 01:48 PM
mako41
Pro

Mine's actually a 96, which I understand has the fogs grounded through the high beam filament. You're right, I do need to spend some time studying that schematic. I paid less than $9 for those adapters so if they don't work out then at least I'm not out much money. It'll be a couple weeks before I get the chance to work on this but I'll report my results back.
You sure about that? I would think your wiring schematic is similar or the same as the one posted for the '90 above. Model years '90 up to '96 had the "new" interior designed dash that was different than the '84~'89 Atari dashed interiors. You should have an OEM fog light relay which I do not have. You may need to get an actual wiring schematic for your specific model year to be certain though.

This is how GM designed the fog lamp circuit to operate;
If you look at the fog lamp relay, 12 volts comes from the Tail 15 amp. fuse when the Headlight switch is in Park or Head and applied to the Fog lights when the relay closes. The relay will energize when the Fog lamp switch is on, as long as the High beams are not on. If the High beams are on, 12 volts will be on both sides of the primary coil of the Fog light relay which will not allow the relay to energize. If the High beams are off. the 12 volts for the primary of the relay coil from the Fog lamp switch will travel through the headlight high beam filament to ground and the relay will energize. The Fog light relay is located under the passenger side of the dash and mounted along the front bottom edge of the dash.

Keep us posted.

Last edited by mako41; 12-05-2014 at 09:18 PM.
Old 12-05-2014, 02:23 PM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Received 191 Likes on 158 Posts

Our fogs are grounded through the high beam filament...If you ground them directly it is almost guaranteed your high beam indicator will come on and stay on when you flip the fogs on. I know, go ahead and say I'm wrong and you'll clue us in when you find the "correct" solution.
Old 12-05-2014, 03:04 PM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

H4 light extensions
That might just work! Good luck with it.
Old 12-05-2014, 03:48 PM
mako41
Pro

Originally Posted by TorchTarga94
Our fogs are grounded through the high beam filament...If you ground them directly it is almost guaranteed your high beam indicator will come on and stay on when you flip the fogs on. I know, go ahead and say I'm wrong and you'll clue us in when you find the "correct" solution.
You didn't mention what year you have. If your particular wiring schematic looks anything like the one posted above for a '90 the OEM fogs don't appear to be grounded thru the hi-beam filiament although the switch may be? My '89 however does appear to be grounded thru the OEM headlights & gdl2165's idea may actually work for my model year.

If you now concede that a simple grounding solution "might work"....... Tell use which solution do you recommend as "correct" now??
Would you still advocate installing a redundant wiring harness that isn't really necessary when all that was ever required was a way to ground the OEM fogs in a relatively simple way!

Last edited by mako41; 12-05-2014 at 09:13 PM.
Old 12-05-2014, 04:09 PM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mako41
You didn't mention what year you have. If your schematic looks anything like the one posted above for a '90 the OEM fogs don't appear to be grounded thru the hi-beam filiament. My '89 however does appear to be grounded thru the OEM headlights & gdl2165 may actually work for my model year.
All 91'-96' Corvettes had the fog lights grounded through the high beam filament. This has been established throughout the years on this forum. I know this for a fact because my fogs no longer worked on my 1994 once I installed HID headlamps (which have no filament). If you directly ground the fogs (which I initially did), it will make the high beam indicator come on when you turn the fogs on. The fogs will still light no problem if the high beam indicator isn't a big deal to you. It has been a while (early 2012) since I did all this, but you can go under the dash on the passenger side, and jump two wires on a relay to directly ground the fogs, without doing any cutting or splicing. This allows the fogs and high beams to be on at the same time. It is documented in a thread somewhere on this forum with pics. I have been through this before, I am not just speculating on what will and won't work.

gdl2165- I got the same vibes from Daniel Stern, but he is very knowledgable. I did end up buying a few bulbs through him, but I sourced everything else myself.
Old 12-05-2014, 04:27 PM
mako41
Pro

Originally Posted by TorchTarga94
All 91'-96' Corvettes had the fog lights grounded through the high beam filament. This has been established throughout the years on this forum. I know this for a fact because my fogs no longer worked on my 1994 once I installed HID headlamps (which have no filament). If you directly ground the fogs (which I initially did), it will make the high beam indicator come on when you turn the fogs on. The fogs will still light no problem if the high beam indicator isn't a big deal to you. It has been a while (early 2012) since I did all this, but you can go under the dash on the passenger side, and jump two wires on a relay to directly ground the fogs, without doing any cutting or splicing. This allows the fogs and high beams to be on at the same time. It is documented in a thread somewhere on this forum with pics. I have been through this before, I am not just speculating on what will and won't work.

gdl2165- I got the same vibes from Daniel Stern, but he is very knowledgable. I did end up buying a few bulbs through him, but I sourced everything else myself.
Ok if that's the way GM wired your OEM fogs I believe your must know your own 'vette. My comments were specifically directed at the two wiring schematics that were posted in this thread, one for an '89 and one for a '90. I assumed all '90 & up 'vettes made after the interior redesign were the same as the '90 schematic posted by Pete above. If you know this to be true I'll take your word for it, I don't have a FSM for a '91~'96 'vette.

I still maintain..... and this is where we disagree...... that it is completely unnecessary to run an entire redundant wiring harness to get the OEM fogs to work with aftermarket LED headlights! We need to figure out a way to ground the OEM fogs using a different path to ground than the one GM provided that doesn't allow the fogs and hi-beams to operate at the same time.

Last edited by mako41; 12-05-2014 at 09:19 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To LED Headlights

Old 12-23-2014, 07:26 PM
gdl2165
Pro

Here's my promised update. Unfortunately, my little experiment was a failure. Grounding the headlights directly via the short extensions I bought made no difference whatsoever, turning on the fog lights still causes the high beams to come on. Oh well, I may eventually try the relay harness but honestly I'm not overly concerned about being able to use the fogs.
Old 12-24-2014, 06:16 AM
kg4fku
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

Last edited by kg4fku; 12-24-2014 at 06:18 AM.
Old 12-24-2014, 06:52 AM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts

If the fogs are grounding thru the headlights and are power switched (have not looked at any diagrams just going by what was posted) then wouldn't it be simpler to just ground the fog lights directly and remove the ground lead that's there already from them?

Quick Reply: LED Headlights