C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Removing broken dipstick tube

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 05:27 PM
scooter mcfly
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Removing broken dipstick tube

Well, I did the unthinkable. While trying to remove the oil dipstick tube to install passenger side header I went and broke the darn thing off at the engine block. So, how to get it out. I was determined to do so without dropping the oil pan. After much thought, here's what I came up with:

I took a 4" hex head lag screw, a 3/8 deep socket (I choose 1/2" because it was about the same size as the opening where the tube inserts into the block), and a 10mm open end wrench.
First I slipped the screw through the socket. Not sure what size screw as I had it laying around, but I'd say 1/4". Then I threaded the screw into the tube. Using a long extension, I tightened it down enough to allow the 10mm wrench to fit between the top of the socket and the head of the screw. PUSH! The dipstick moved ever so little. BUT IT MOVED! Tightened the screw some more. Push. Tighten. Push. After about an hour the tube had been pushed out enough to finally tap it out. Success!

Excuse me whilst I do my happy dance.
Old 12-01-2014, 05:36 PM
Mark8801
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good deal. That's a lot better than pulling the pan and driving it out with a punch.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:38 PM
Nick DL
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 12-01-2014, 10:02 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

We are all happy for you that you got it out.
Old 12-02-2014, 11:18 PM
scooter mcfly
Racer

Originally Posted by gerardvg
We are all happy for you that you got it out.
I cannot believe how difficult that thing was to get out. Tried everything, including Vader's method. I was determined NOT to drop the oil pan. I knew once I did, something would go wrong. Something always goes wrong. Finding a replacement proved almost as difficult since the part is discontinued.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:31 PM
Kdeman1
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by scooter mcfly
Well, I did the unthinkable. While trying to remove the oil dipstick tube to install passenger side header I went and broke the darn thing off at the engine block. So, how to get it out. I was determined to do so without dropping the oil pan. After much thought, here's what I came up with:

I took a 4" hex head lag screw, a 3/8 deep socket (I choose 1/2" because it was about the same size as the opening where the tube inserts into the block), and a 10mm open end wrench.
First I slipped the screw through the socket. Not sure what size screw as I had it laying around, but I'd say 1/4". Then I threaded the screw into the tube. Using a long extension, I tightened it down enough to allow the 10mm wrench to fit between the top of the socket and the head of the screw. PUSH! The dipstick moved ever so little. BUT IT MOVED! Tightened the screw some more. Push. Tighten. Push. After about an hour the tube had been pushed out enough to finally tap it out. Success!

Excuse me whilst I do my happy dance.

I currently have the same issue, and would just like to commend you on how smart this is, great idea! Will try it tomorrow
Old 03-26-2017, 12:03 PM
scooter mcfly
Racer

Originally Posted by Kdeman1
I currently have the same issue, and would just like to commend you on how smart this is, great idea! Will try it tomorrow
Thanks! It took a while, but it did work. Just gotta be patient. When that thing "pops " the feeling is one of ecstasy. You'll see
Old 03-29-2017, 09:04 AM
Kdeman1
Racer

It worked! it took about 2 hours, and I was about to give up... when it happened! and I pulled it out, awesome! Saved time and money.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:10 AM
Silver85
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 75 Posts

This is the biggest scary part about installing my headers. Glad to see it's not the end of the world!
Old 03-29-2017, 10:33 AM
Kdeman1
Racer

Originally Posted by Silver85
This is the biggest scary part about installing my headers. Glad to see it's not the end of the world!
I just finished installing mine, your biggest fear should be cross threading the aluminum head, just go slow! I haven't started mine up yet but I'm sure it's going to sound awesome
Old 03-29-2017, 12:19 PM
Silver85
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Kdeman1
I just finished installing mine, your biggest fear should be cross threading the aluminum head, just go slow! I haven't started mine up yet but I'm sure it's going to sound awesome
Good news bad news there for me. Good news is I have the cast heads so a little tougher to crossthread. Bad news is I have the cast heads.

Last edited by Silver85; 03-29-2017 at 12:19 PM.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:55 PM
73n95
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Iron vs aluminum, each has its advantages and disadvantages. Case in point, my Cruze has an iron block. the new Cruze has aluminum for weight savings. Gen 1 Cruzes focused on sound and iron is quieter. The aluminum is lighter but the engine is more clattery. The I'm OK with iron.

Get notified of new replies

To Removing broken dipstick tube

Quick Reply: Removing broken dipstick tube