C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Austin Texas and emissions/inspections

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 10:03 PM
touyech2883
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Austin Texas and emissions/inspections

Hey guys from Texas I was wondering what the deal with the emissions in the metro areas particularly austin area. I'm think of making the move to warmer more corvette, motorcycle friendly austin tx area. I live in milwaukee now and we have pretty loose emissions standards. In milwaukee if your car is obd1 or for most cars 95 and older it no longer requires any testing at all or inspections. So my cat less, complete emission delete 93 vette is not a problem. So my question is if I decide to pull the trigger and make the move will I have to spend big money reinstalling cats and emission crap just to register it? Is there a certain year cut off like here? So how do you guys do it down there? Thanks in advance for your info.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:40 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

It won't pass inspection that way. I'm in Dallas, but I'm pretty sure it's the same in Austin. If I recall correctly, 25 years or older, no emissions required.
Old 12-11-2014, 01:01 AM
aj1988
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You may have to check around for an inspection location that is sort of loose . I took my. 91 sand main cat but pre cats in place and it did pass
Old 12-11-2014, 07:47 PM
touyech2883
Instructor

Thanks for the input worst case I keep it registered in Wisconsin till 2018 then it will be 25 yrs old and hopefully exempt. It costs so much more to modify a car and adhere to certain emission regs. I see so many nice modded vettes in Texas. I though more people would chime in about how they get there modded vettes through inspection/emissions. As simple as long tube headers eliminates the cats then your failing for sure. This must not be an interesting enough thread.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:04 PM
TX-Techman
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 3 Posts

If you move to Texas just move to a county where the emission test are not required. All counties require a safety test and are supposed to make sure the original emissions stuff is intact, but most never crawl under to look.

The counties requiring emissions testing is a different story, you will not pass in those counties. All the high populated counties require emissions test including Austin, Dallas, Tarrant, .....

http://www.dmv.com/tx/texas/emissions-testing
Old 12-12-2014, 12:12 AM
mlm0
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by TX-Techman
If you move to Texas just move to a county where the emission test are not required. All counties require a safety test and are supposed to make sure the original emissions stuff is intact, but most never crawl under to look.

The counties requiring emissions testing is a different story, you will not pass in those counties. All the high populated counties require emissions test including Austin, Dallas, Tarrant, .....

http://www.dmv.com/tx/texas/emissions-testing
I live in Georgetown, about 28 miles north of Austin and because my vette, 1989, is 25 years old, I only have to have safety inspection.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:34 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Sounds like Wis is your primary residence..maybe you keep a po box and travel back and forth to Tx for I dunno..seasonal work?
Old 12-12-2014, 07:23 PM
TX-Techman
Racer

Originally Posted by mlm0
I live in Georgetown, about 28 miles north of Austin and because my vette, 1989, is 25 years old, I only have to have safety inspection.
Yep, Georgetown is in Williamson county which does require emissions tests. The link in my post has the counties listed but here they are, only 17 out of 254 counties require emissions test. Also once your car is over 25 years old no inspections are required for cars classified as antique and you only have to register them every 5 years. That is the way I have my 69 classified.

VEHICLES THAT REQUIRE AN EMISSIONS TEST

The following vehicles need to undergo emissions testing:
1. The rules for emissions testing are different in different counties. The following counties require vehicles to undergo emissions testing: Brazoria, Fort Bend, Galveston, Harris, Montgomery, Collin, Dallas, Denton, Ellis, Johnson, Kaufman, Parker, Rockwall, Tarrant, Travis, Williamson and El Paso counties.
2. All gasoline powered vehicles need to undergo emissions testing.
3. All vehicles from 2 through 24 years old need to carry out emissions testing. Even upon expiration of the 2 year initial inspection sticker the test needs to be conducted.

Last edited by TX-Techman; 12-12-2014 at 07:26 PM.
Old 12-14-2014, 11:49 PM
Vetteblack-96
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

TX-Techman, what two years inspection sticker? I'm in the DFW Metroplex and have only gotten one year inspections.

Around here, inspections are different from what I was used to. In New York they were
required to pull a wheel to check the condition of the brakes.
Around here (Ft. Worth) they drive the car a few feet and if it stops OK they pass the brakes.

Touyech, you will find year 'round motorcycle, Corvette and boating here in Texas.
That's why I moved here from New York.
BTW, if you move to Austin, be sure to check out Hippie Hollow

Last edited by Vetteblack-96; 12-14-2014 at 11:51 PM.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:18 AM
TX-Techman
Racer

Originally Posted by Vetteblack-96
TX-Techman, what two years inspection sticker? I'm in the DFW Metroplex and have only gotten one year inspections.

Around here, inspections are different from what I was used to. In New York they were
required to pull a wheel to check the condition of the brakes.
Around here (Ft. Worth) they drive the car a few feet and if it stops OK they pass the brakes.

Touyech, you will find year 'round motorcycle, Corvette and boating here in Texas.
That's why I moved here from New York.
BTW, if you move to Austin, be sure to check out Hippie Hollow
The 2 year inspection is the 1st inspection on a brand new vehicle from the dealer.
Old 12-15-2014, 02:15 PM
Vetteblack-96
Pro

Techman, thanks for the clarification. My Vette obviously isn't new.........
Old 12-15-2014, 05:53 PM
L98Justin
Pro

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

here in san antonio they havent looked under my carb'd c4 hood yet and i have no emissions hooked up or in place... don't know how long i'll get away with it though lol
Old 12-15-2014, 06:18 PM
Vetteblack-96
Pro

Justin, don't they hook it up to a computer???
Old 12-15-2014, 09:22 PM
TX-Techman
Racer

Originally Posted by Vetteblack-96
Justin, don't they hook it up to a computer???
Nope, San Antonio is in Bexar county and they do not do emissions test there. Only the counties I listed hook up a computer and test emissions.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:17 AM
touyech2883
Instructor

Originally Posted by TX-Techman
Nope, San Antonio is in Bexar county and they do not do emissions test there. Only the counties I listed hook up a computer and test emissions.
San Antonio was the other option it's looking like that might be the place. Thanks again for all your input. Hope to see you Texas guys down there by late spring/summer for a nice cruise.

Get notified of new replies

To Austin Texas and emissions/inspections

Quick Reply: Austin Texas and emissions/inspections