where to get new rear axle stubs? - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

where to get new rear axle stubs?

Old 12-16-2014, 02:58 PM   #1
hypntyz
CF Senior Member

Default where to get new rear axle stubs?

I have an 85 with an LS6/T56 swapped in that's been running for a bit over a year of daily driving (2k miles or so). It also has a D44 swapped in along with all new driveshaft and axle ujoints replaced with spicer units during the swap. I dont drive it hard most of the time and dont do any racing.

The last few months when pulling out from a stop etc. I can hear a noise from the rear of the car. IT sounds like 2 wine glasses "tink" together. I jacked the back of the car up to investigate. There is a slight bit of play when rocking the driver wheel back and forth and the trans in gear, you can see the axle stay in place while the wheel moves slightly. IT is not a wheel bearing, but slack in the splines of the hub and axle stub that slides inside the hub. I took it apart and lubricated the splines with anti seize which seemed to help for maybe a week, but now the noise is back.

I plan to replace the wheel bearings/hubs as well just as a matter of maintenance. While I am there I want to replace both axle stubs. Where can I buy a NEW axle stub? All that I see are used ones floating around.
hypntyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 06:33 PM   #2
Paul Workman
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypntyz View Post
I have an 85 with an LS6/T56 swapped in that's been running for a bit over a year of daily driving (2k miles or so). It also has a D44 swapped in along with all new driveshaft and axle ujoints replaced with spicer units during the swap. I dont drive it hard most of the time and dont do any racing.

The last few months when pulling out from a stop etc. I can hear a noise from the rear of the car. IT sounds like 2 wine glasses "tink" together. I jacked the back of the car up to investigate. There is a slight bit of play when rocking the driver wheel back and forth and the trans in gear, you can see the axle stay in place while the wheel moves slightly. IT is not a wheel bearing, but slack in the splines of the hub and axle stub that slides inside the hub. I took it apart and lubricated the splines with anti seize which seemed to help for maybe a week, but now the noise is back.

I plan to replace the wheel bearings/hubs as well just as a matter of maintenance. While I am there I want to replace both axle stubs. Where can I buy a NEW axle stub? All that I see are used ones floating around.
As long as you've included some power adders, and are going to replace the hubs/splines anyway, you might want to contact Mark Williams and ask about the 31 spline hubs and stubs he provided for the ZR-1s. The guys with the big inch (read: brutal!) LT5s have blazed a path to these splines/hubs.

These parts stand up to 700 hp LT5s w/ no complaint.

You'll have to ask them if they can provide you with new hubs. Or, they can broach your existing hubs as well, but of course NEW hubs would be the way to go.

Might check with Rock Auto for the new hubs, but someone else will have a more current recommendation, me thinks.

Last edited by Paul Workman; 12-17-2014 at 06:35 PM.
Paul Workman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 01:33 PM   #3
hypntyz
CF Senior Member

Any more info on this?
Old 01-19-2015, 05:04 PM   #4
RUU
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypntyz View Post
Any more info on this?
Are you sure the "tink" you're hearing isn't worn or missing Teflon washers? The fact that the sound went away for a while after you greased the axle points to a washer issue.
RUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 12:54 AM   #5
hypntyz
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUU View Post
Are you sure the "tink" you're hearing isn't worn or missing Teflon washers? The fact that the sound went away for a while after you greased the axle points to a washer issue.
teflon washers...where?
Old 01-22-2015, 11:20 PM   #6
Klondike
CF Senior Member

I think he's referring to the teflon coated washer that goes between the back side of the hub and the yoke/spindle assy. #5 in the diagram.

Klondike is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • where to get new rear axle stubs?
  •