Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

How Much is this '96 C4 LT4 Worth?

Old 08-06-2002, 06:55 PM
NBM LS1 M6
Team Owner

Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Default How Much is this '96 C4 LT4 Worth?

I've been following a Black '96 C4 LT4 car for the past two or three weeks, and I wanted some opinions on what you think the car might be worth (all other things being equal).

The car has 68K on the clock. The car has the base FE1 suspension. I copied all of the option codes on my visit this morning.

I have CarFaxed the VIN on the car. No problems, although IMNSHO Car Fax doesn't supply a lot of pertinent possible hidden information. All they tell one is the obvious information they provide. It has been leased, and it has been a two owner car. It has always been a Southern California car. It is bone stock, and obviously never been modded. I am pretty certain it was driven by a couple typically clueless previous owners who drove the car as a daily driver. The paint has some minor dings on the nose. There are some "cat scratches" on the front of the passenger side fender that appear to be through the clear coat and into the undercoat. I started the engine and ran it up to operating temperature. The engine sounds relatively smooth but noisy, but I think maybe the LT4s are like that? The engine compartment is a somewhat unkempt stereotypically dirty, and the car could have the symptomatic intake manifold leak. It is apparent to me that the previous owners of the car didn't know about "leather treatment." The seats are dry and the drivers side seat has a couple cracks on the seat bottom.

The car is sitting on a "one off" independent lot on in West Los Angeles, and it was wholesaled to them by a Chevrolet dealership. The bread and butter business of this lot are Mercedes and Lexus. There are no other domestic cars on the lot. I have been the the lot twice. The first time I was there I spoke to the owner (they were just closing shop for the night). It was obvious from the conversation that he took the car from the Chevy dealership, and they have been trying to unload the car for several weeks. He was sort of candid about this point, as if he would like to unload the car. It sits on the front of their little lot on the corner of LaBrea and the 10 Fwy. There is a Chevy dealership used car window sticker offering the car for $23,500 (sitting on the floor inside the car). The "one off" dealership was offering the car for $19,995 two weeks ago, but a week ago they lowered the asking price on the Internet to $18,995.

I'm looking for a possible project car. The objective is autox. Appearance is not a big issue, although I would like something I could "clean up" and repaint down the line. I am also looking at a couple very competitive '89 C4 Z51 Coupes that are all set up for A Stock class SCCA Solo2. These cars are all set up, and are competitive out of the box. They are among the best bang for the buck in stock class. The other idea is an LT4 car to modify to run in B Street Prepared and later turn that LT4 into a monster in BP class. Obviously, the attraction is the LT4 engine. That is an definite stock power improvement over the the LT1. I have seen these cars run stock at 12.xx@111 mph at the strip. It's a nice engine. I've owned an LT1, and that isn't a real interest.

According to the 2002 Price Guide in Vette Magazine, these cars are worth $18,750 in Fair condition. According to the latest Corvette Fever, they are worth $16,750 in Fair condition. My thinking is that, assuming the engine and drivetrain have no major problems, the car is worth no more than $16,500. I might be tempted to offer that price.

Any thoughts??

[Modified by NBM LS1 M6, 11:07 PM 8/6/2002]
Old 08-06-2002, 11:10 PM
Rich_01659
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How Much is this '96 C4 LT4 Worth? (NBM LS1 M6)

The Truth about corvette value is .... supply and demand. your local area will set the value. no matter what the book says. he may want 20k and he may get it. the opposite is also true in which case he may decide to sell for less or not at all. check your local paper (best source for prices), if you see a lot of vettes ... good for you! if you only see one .... good for him!

[Modified by Rich_01659, 7:10 PM 8/6/2002]
Old 08-06-2002, 11:22 PM
NBM LS1 M6
Team Owner

Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Default Re: How Much is this '96 C4 LT4 Worth? (Rich_01659)

Yup. :D:D

I also went to look at a '91 C4 that was advertised on the Internet as having only 30K original miles on the clock. Just popped up on the Internet in the past couple days. No other details Local Chevy dealer. I went to the dealership hoping to find out it might by some rare chance be a Z07 M6. It was already sold. :eek::eek:

Bob

Get notified of new replies

To How Much is this '96 C4 LT4 Worth?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How Much is this '96 C4 LT4 Worth?