Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

what do you use to shine the rubber on your tires?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 03:00 PM
2Tarpon
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been using this lately and like it a lot.
Old 05-07-2015, 04:48 PM
86V
Instructor

Thank you all! Lots of great options I'm going to try this weekend.

Back when my car was new in 86 there was really only 1 option, Armor All. Lately I feel like they changed the formula like COKE or something. Its just flat black. I want GLOSS black. WET black. Like it used to be.
Old 05-07-2015, 11:59 PM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

Default The key thing is....

What ever you use, the key thing is to make sure that the tires are clean!!!! When you keep spraying or putting layer over layer of the stuff you use will eventually look like crap and won't stay on. I recently started with Mothers "Back to Black Tire Renew". It a good cleaner and in addition to cleaning the tires, it leaves them black.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:48 AM
86V
Instructor

Originally Posted by Crossed Flags Fan
What ever you use, the key thing is to make sure that the tires are clean!!!! When you keep spraying or putting layer over layer of the stuff you use will eventually look like crap and won't stay on. I recently started with Mothers "Back to Black Tire Renew". It a good cleaner and in addition to cleaning the tires, it leaves them black.
Don't worry. I'm addicted to detailing my car. Its how I relax. Tires are spotless. But the Armor all is just not doing its trick anymore IMO. I tried the Barret Jackson with worse results. Meguiers , Black magic is good, but its actually so heavy when I drive I see my fenders getting spotted from it. I have a new bottle of Surf City Garage I'm going to try this morning.

I'm not even asking for long lasting. I'll settle for 2 days as long as it looks wet and glossy black. It used too , just not finding it anymore.
Old 05-18-2015, 11:51 PM
Pyro4117
Advanced

Personally not a fan of the shiny tire look, I use this stuff.

Wash the car (& tires) normally, spray the tires with the product, scrub with a curved tire brush and then wash the tires again.

Makes them look like new tires to me - or at least like new tires used to look before they started shining them at the tire stores...
Old 05-19-2015, 08:21 AM
86V
Instructor

Originally Posted by Pyro4117

Wash the car (& tires) normally, spray the tires with the product, scrub with a curved tire brush and then wash the tires again.

Makes them look like new tires to me - or at least like new tires used to look before they started shining them at the tire stores...
Do You actually have whitewalls on your Vette?
Old 05-19-2015, 11:06 AM
Pyro4117
Advanced

Originally Posted by 86V
Do You actually have whitewalls on your Vette?
You got a problem with that? I'm in good company!

It's a really charp chort, man, y'know? It's lowered to da ground, has twice pipes, candy-apple red and button top...
(Cheech and Chong for those of you too young to get the reference)

That did get me thinking about how trends change though. I started using it when white letter tires were the 'in' thing as otherwise I spent a lot of time scrubbing the letters with a steel wool pad.

It cleans the black part of the tire as well as it did the white letters (or whitewalls) back in the day. Now your tires are supposed to be shiny if you want to be one of the cool kids...

Oh well. That's why they have chocolate and vanilla. And strawberry and Cherry Garcia and...
Old 05-19-2015, 02:32 PM
N227GB
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18,'19-'20,'23

I use Surf City Beyond Black. Non-petroleum with UV protection, and it does not attract dust.

I had to look at the calendar to see it's been over two months since I applied any (Shrimp Festival Parade). While the tires aren't really shiny now, they still look clean and deep black.

The inside of the fender wells and mud flaps get some wiped on with a towel

That did get me thinking about how trends change though. I started using it when white letter tires were the 'in' thing as otherwise I spent a lot of time scrubbing the letters with a steel wool pad.
I just had the shop mount the tires so the white lettering was on the inside. In the 80s it was popular for some guys to dress up their 10 year old Buicks and Caddys with huge whitewalls and chrome curb feelers. Now it's all about skinny tires and huge rims.
Old 05-19-2015, 06:39 PM
KEG64
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

X2, great stuff, works great on most rubber
Old 05-19-2015, 06:50 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Fo the tires I use the cheapest brand. I just want to make them look clean and dark.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:54 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Poor boys natural shine. I keep a bottle in the rear cargo along with microfiber towels. I use it on everything. I dont put much on my tires because I dont want it slinging up into the wheel wells and possibly getting absorbed into the smc.

Quick Reply: what do you use to shine the rubber on your tires?