double din radio installed and dash trim won't fit over it

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 11:18 PM
1992Corvette
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default double din radio installed and dash trim won't fit over it

Hello,

I have a 1992 Corvette coupe and just recently installed a Pioneer AVH-X3600BHS double din radio with Infiniti 3-way 6x9's in the back and nothing in the front yet (not sure on what speakers I want to go in the front, in place of the factory bose speakers). Before starting this install I took my time to read through the topics on the forms about this and I knew there would be some slight modifications necessary but I ran into a tough spot now as I got everything wired/mounted and when I try to fit the dash trim back over the center area where the radio & hvac controls are it doesn't fit over the new radio. I had cut out the plastic peice behind the original radio as it was necessary for the install and I used the metra install kit and mounted the side brackets to the radio so it could be bolted in where the factory radio bolted down. Everything looks great but the dash trim will not fit over the new radio now. I was wondering if anyone here come accross an issue like this and did you have to trim your dash trim to make the radio fit? On the sides of the radio where the brackets bolt up there are holes where I could move the brackets forward so the radio would sit alittle deeper into the dash but when you try to install the radio and line up to bolt it in place the radio will not go far back enough to mount the radio in the dash (not enough room behind the radio as it doesn't slide in any further). So now with the mounting brackets moved back a hole the radio will bolt into place but the face of it sticks out to far and the trim will not fit over it. Am I going to have to sand/trim my dash peice to fit around the radio? If so it doesn't look like I would have to take off much to fit. Its not like the radio is sticking way out, it seems to be perfectly aligned with the hvac control panel but when you go to install the trim it doesnt fit all the way around the radio completely. Radio needs to come through the dash panel a bit and the opening in the panel will not allow it to do so. If I go this route & trim my dash peice what would be the best way to mark up how much needs to be cut. When I try to install it I cant seem to line it up in a way to get an idea on how much. It seems to me that I should just start to sand it down a little at a time and retry fitment, continuing to sand it down until it fits. Just hoping someone has a faster/easier way as this seems like its gong to be time consumming and I already have alot of time inolved withe the install as is since all new wires had to be ran and I had to take most of the interior apart, passenger seat out, etc. Everything is back in and setup correctly with the only problem witth the dash trim not fitting over the radio. Any help/advise would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Steve
Old 05-17-2015, 02:33 AM
Roys92BlackRose
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I intend to do this someday as well and during my research if I remember correctly there is a bit of trimming of the fascia required, especially the corners that are rounded off where the radio is usually squared off. Search the forums, I know there are pics of installed double din units in a c4. Good luck.
Old 05-17-2015, 04:48 AM
maddogwyatt
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't know if it's any help, but when I fitted my single DIN unit, I just left the outer stereo trim ring off, and then the dash panel just slid over it. Does your double-DIN have a removable surround?
Old 05-17-2015, 11:21 AM
1992Corvette
Advanced

Thank you for the responses. No there isn't a trim piece on the radio that can come off. The corners & the bar between the radio & hvac controls seem to be the problem. Accross the top pf the radio is a slot for disc to go in and the trim covers that area and is very tight around the corners. So it sounds like the first response is right & I'm going to have to trim the dash trim a bit to fit with the new stereo. Seems like my only option since the radio will not go into the dash any further. I'll probably just sand it down & try and refit. Anyone who has had to trim the dash peice to fit with the new radio install and can offer some insite and/or advise on how to proceed I would appreciate it. I am fine with cutting the dash trim as i am not going to put the factory radio back in (didn't work at all when I bought the car). Once the works done I'll either wrap the dash trim in something or just paint it. Any tips on how to trim/cut or sand the dash peice to fit would be greatly apprecaited.

Thanks!
Steve
Old 05-17-2015, 11:53 AM
fatboywilly
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Radio Fitting.....Remove some material

Did you remove some of the plastic dash material from behind the radio? I had to trim some plastic from down inside the dash before installing the radio because the area for the radio is NOT deep enough for the radio to slide back where it needs to be. I never had to trim the trim at all. Looks like a factory install. Good luck.

Thanks!
Steve[/QUOTE]
Old 05-17-2015, 12:01 PM
Ozzstar
Pro

Received 256 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by maddogwyatt
I don't know if it's any help, but when I fitted my single DIN unit, I just left the outer stereo trim ring off, and then the dash panel just slid over it. Does your double-DIN have a removable surround?
I also left the trim ring off, had to notch the bezel slightly, and then used a black sharpie marker to make the metal radio retainer bezel blend in
Old 05-17-2015, 12:02 PM
1992Corvette
Advanced

yes I did cut out the plastic that was behind the factory radio to get my new one to fit all the way into the dash but the trim is tight around the edges of the new radio & also the piece of the trim / plastic border between the radio & hvac controls seems like its too thick. This part of the trim covers the top edge of the radio where the cd's are inserted. Unfortunately I think I'm stuck in a position where I don't have any other choice but to trim the panel down. Maybe if I take the radio back out with the front dash trim and try to test fit it out of the car. Maybe this way I can set the trim face down, line the radio up to it and mark along the edges of the trim around the radio to give me some sort of a guideline on how much of the dash piece needs to be trimmed down to fit.
Old 05-17-2015, 12:07 PM
1992Corvette
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ozzstar
I also left the trim ring off, had to notch the bezel slightly, and then used a black sharpie marker to make the metal radio retainer bezel blend in

you did have to trim the dash piece that goes over the radio? How did you mark up the bezel to determine how much you needed to trim/cut off? What did you use to trim the bezel to fit? I was planning on using a rotary grinding tool w/a round little sander band about the diameter of a dime & maybe a 1/4" or so long. It seems to fit perfectly along the edges of the bezel and will sand it down much faster then I could do by hand.
Old 05-17-2015, 05:32 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

Default subbed!!

thumbs up
Old 05-17-2015, 10:19 PM
1994DelawareCoup
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Don't trim anything

I put a double din pioneer I'n my 94 And had the same problem. My problem was that the radio sat to far over to the passenger side for the console trim to fit. My solution was to trim the metro bracket (plastic) to remove the extra plastic behind the mounting screws. The other side of the solution was to use screws that recessed into the the metro bracket. Burred the top of the bracket with a large drill bit so screw head sat flush with the bracket. Hope this helps. If you need a pic pm me your cell number and I'll text a few. My dash is still not put together.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:38 PM
1800Wing
Flatulent Dwarf
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

>>>I was planning on using a rotary grinding tool w/a round little sander band about the diameter of a dime <<<

I've used my Dremel tool on similar applications, I'd recommend setting your Dremel in a stationary device and using a piece of wood as a "fence" to guide your trimming along the faceplate....I've done some by hand and invariably something catches the edge of the abrasive wheel and sends it into the work piece with far more vigor than I had intended.

later, tiny
Old 05-18-2015, 04:55 PM
Ozzstar
Pro

Received 256 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by 1992Corvette
you did have to trim the dash piece that goes over the radio? How did you mark up the bezel to determine how much you needed to trim/cut off? What did you use to trim the bezel to fit? I was planning on using a rotary grinding tool w/a round little sander band about the diameter of a dime & maybe a 1/4" or so long. It seems to fit perfectly along the edges of the bezel and will sand it down much faster then I could do by hand.
Yes a dremel tool works great. Careful measurements then test and fit then test and fit again, till the housing clears. The car cover is on my car right now or i would take some pics for you of the radio. Check out my video on Youtube "climate control repair- C4 Corvette" and at the 9:01 mark you will see the radio installed. I have since installed another Sony receiver which fit in the exact opening, same dimension. If you have lost either of the 2 metal retaining clips on the back of the black plastic bezel let me know. It may persuade me to film a vid on making replacements clips which are nearly impossible to find. Take it easy- Ozz
Old 05-18-2015, 05:01 PM
1992Corvette
Advanced

Default retaining cllips

Originally Posted by Ozzstar
Yes a dremel tool works great. Careful measurements then test and fit then test and fit again, till the housing clears. The car cover is on my car right now or i would take some pics for you of the radio. Check out my video on Youtube "climate control repair- C4 Corvette" and at the 9:01 mark you will see the radio installed. I have since installed another Sony receiver which fit in the exact opening, same dimension. If you have lost either of the 2 metal retaining clips on the back of the black plastic bezel let me know. It may persuade me to film a vid on making replacements clips which are nearly impossible to find. Take it easy- Ozz

hello,

Actually the retaining clips on the back of my trim are broken. They were like that when i got the car and only a small peice of medal is left in the holes on each side of the trim. I know what your talking about and I haven't been able to find them to purchase online anywhere so if you know how to make replacement clips I would love to know how. What do they do anyways just help keep the trim up tight against the radio, etc? Any help you can offer I would greatly apprecaite it. I will take a look at your utube video also. Thank you!

Steve
Old 05-26-2015, 10:27 AM
1992Corvette
Advanced

So I finally was able to complete the radio install this weekend. I had to modify the factory trim piece that goes over the radio, hvac controls, etc. to fit the new Pioneer double din radio. The opening for the radio itself was too small & some minor adjustments had to be made to the back of the bezel as well. I had to square off all four corners of the opening for the radio, sand/grind down the edges of the opening to open it up slightly larger to fit the new radio. This consisted of a lot of trial and error, sanding/grinding & trying to fit, sand/grind try to fit, etc. I ended up having to make the piece that goes between the radio & hvac controls thinner to clear the top of the stereo and when trying to refit again I noticed it still was not sitting flush on the dash as it should. On the back of the radio bezel the trim is built up a bit so it would sit flat against the factory radio. I had to grind this area down to allow the trim to now sit against the new radio. To anyone who's considering to install a new deck and has the factory bose system let me just say this is a pain in the ***. Between running the new wiring harness from the factory radio up under my dash/under the glove box and over to the opening in the dash to the radio, running all new speaker wires throughout the car, running the wire for the hands free calling mic, fitting the radio into the dash & modifying the dash piece to fit I probably have around 15-18 hours invested in this project. Took the passenger seat, carpet, door drim & lower part of the dash on passenger side right out of the car to do the wiring. Ran the harness neatly under the dash and to the radio opening & ran the rear speaker wires down the passenger side of the center console and over to the back speakers. The front speaker wiring only had to go from the opening in the dash, under & accross the lower dash and down to the foot well where the factory speakers are located (used factory mounts for front speakers). Once this is done you still have to reinstall everything that you took out of the interior and tie the harness for the new radio into the new harness I just ran in the car & get the deck installed properly.

Since I had cut/trimmed, sanded & grinded the factory trim that goes over the radio, hvac controls, etc I either had to sand it down smooth and paint the trim or use some vinyl wrap to cover the trim. I had some of the 3m carbon fiber vinyl wrap that I recieved in the mail as a sample since I was interested in the product. It turned out the sample piece of the carbon fiber wrap was large enough to cover the dash trim so I just wrapped it in the gloss black carbon fiber. With all the work now completed the install looks great, very clean & professional looking job. The new stereo sounds great too and has all the modern features. I have HD radio, bluetooth connection to my phone which also plays music from the phone through bluetooth, hands free calling system, navigation, optional hook up for a rear back up camera (didn't use this feature) & a usb port, which I ran from the back of the radio and into the center console. Now when I open the "ash tray / coin holder" door I have a port to connect another accessory via the usb port. I am very happy with the turn out and saved myself a ton of money doing it myself. Was quoted around $1,800.00 to have it done in a professional shop & the owner told me it was because he would have to gut the interior and run all new wiring for the radio harness & speakers. The hardware would of been the exact same equip that I installed myself and I was able to keep it under $600.00. Thats not bad considering the stereo I got & Infiniti speakers all the way around. I used 3-way 6 x 9's in the rear & I think it was 5-1/2 for the fronts (not 100%). I saved over a grand & didn't have to gut the entire car like the shop owner had told me. I attached a couple pictures below. Not the greatest since I took them at night on my cell phone but I'll get some better pics of the install today. Anyone who is about to take on this same project and has any questions let me know. I'd be glad to help. First thing I would recommeend is getting a factory service manual and look up what color wiries are on the factory radio harness and what each one is then compare it to your new harness. Mine was not a match for color to color so I had to make my own wiring diagram and tag which wires went where & capped off the ones that were not needed. Any questions feel free to ask! Thanks for reading my post.

On another note I have a question/request. Anyone who has taken the dash trim out that goes over the radio, etc. will know exactly what I am refering to. When you remove this trim piece and look at the back side there should be two clips located here. One on each side of the radio opening. The previous owner must of broken mine or something because when I removed this trim from my car I found that I didn't have these metal clips anyone. All that was there is a tiny piece of metal sticking out where the clips should be. It almost looks like someone had cut them off at some point. I have looked online to see if I could purchase just these clips but have not had any luck. I wanted to know if anyone on the forum knows how to fabricate these metal clips and/or has a spare set that I could possibly buy? If anyone knows how to make these clips I would pay you for them if you wanted or if you could explain how to make them I could try and fabricate them myself as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated since it doesn't seem like I'll be ablle to buy them from any vendors and I don't want to buy a new trim just for the clips.
Attached Images  

Last edited by 1992Corvette; 05-26-2015 at 10:41 AM. Reason: adding pictures
Old 05-26-2015, 10:43 AM
1992Corvette
Advanced

Default sorry can't seem to load more then one pic at a time!

second pic
Attached Images  
Old 05-26-2015, 10:46 AM
1992Corvette
Advanced

third pic / notice I setup a custom background on the radio that says pioneer, corvette w/the symbol & navigation & menu. Its like it was designed specifically for this car/deck.
Attached Images  
Old 05-26-2015, 10:48 AM
1992Corvette
Advanced

one last picture of the radio
Attached Images  
Old 05-26-2015, 01:55 PM
HGUNHNTR
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks awesome.