C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

"Service ASR, Cooling Fans, etc

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 07:45 PM
alyle5864
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default "Service ASR, Cooling Fans, etc

In another thread I sought help in solving an issue with my cooling fans not coming on, either normally or in ECM Diagnostic mode. Relays checked good, fans came on when jumpered in the harness. Checked the ECM line and checked okay. Result was the fault was in the Ignition line to the relay coils. Started at the fuse panel since the signal come thru the "Gauges" fuse. Checked the fuse in place and checked good. Wiring diagram indicated other items powered from the same line. Checked the EGR solenoid line with a test light. Light came on telling me the feed was good from the fuse. Pulled the fuse and checked the EGR line again, no power. Put the fuse back in and now no power to EGR solenoid.

Moral of story: I pulled out the fuse and rechecked it, checked good. I noticed that the legs of the fuse looked gray and dull. Obviously the fuse had not been replaced for some time, possibly the original fuse. So I put in a brand new 10 amp fuse, with shinny contacts, and BAM. Fans now work in ECM Diagnotic mode, and normally.

Took the car out for a drive. I had been having the Service ASR light come on everytime I drove the car within a couple blocks of starting. After replacing most of the fuses in the fuse block with brand new fuses, the Service ASR light DID NOT come on during the drive. Neither did the Service Engine Soon light.

It appears the Service ASR light coming on may have been a result of a fuse not making good contact , thus not passing full voltage thru.

Just something to look into if any of you are experiencing the same issues. I have now replaced every fuse I can find with brand new fuses.

Quick Reply: "Service ASR, Cooling Fans, etc