Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Inside the car reverse light signal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 10:22 PM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts

Default Inside the car reverse light signal?

I installed a backup camera on my 87 convertible today and Im to the point that I need a signal to trigger the radio when the cars in reverse.

Any ideas if theres anything inside the car that has power when the cars in reverse? Well power or ground. I can use either.

I know the reverse light switch is in the transmission (outside the car) and the wires for the reverse lights themselves at the back of the car (outside the care) but I need something inside to keep from running another wire outside the car if I can help it.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:55 PM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Ok I figured out where to pull the signal from but I don't know the wire colors for sure. In case someone else needs this info later I'll post the wire colors etc when I get a chance to finish this tomorrow hopefully.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:02 PM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Ok I mentioned pictures but considering what I went thru to get to the wire for the reverse lights on the shifter there was no way to get the camera in there. So...

The wire you want is light green. Sticks out great so no problem identifying it.

Its in the plug that goes into the huge switch on the side of the automatic shifter. Remove the console lid and lift it up as far as you can (which isn't far enough because of the shifter **** which I didn't feel like trying to remove).

The plug has several wires in it but the light green is so bright in color its easy to spot. Seeing it is EASY, doing anything with it is a royal PAIN.

But that's the wire you need to tap for the reverse signal. It goes 12volt hot aka positive when the cars in reverse.

Again sorry for no pictures but there just wasn't anyway for me to get the camera on it.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:24 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Good job let us know how you like it. I got one from the factory for the wifes Hummer but I never use it just foget it has it lol
Old 06-10-2015, 08:31 PM
crowz
Melting Slicks

I like it so far. I will post some pics of it in action in a few days. Weathers horrible here with weird sudden lightning storms forming hourly so I have the car back covered up again.

I need to aim it up higher but I don't know if I can. It works fine but the grid it puts up is too low to the ground to be as useful as it would be aimed up more.

Been working between storms to get it done
Old 06-12-2015, 08:14 AM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by crowz
I like it so far. I will post some pics of it in action in a few days. Weathers horrible here with weird sudden lightning storms forming hourly so I have the car back covered up again.

I need to aim it up higher but I don't know if I can. It works fine but the grid it puts up is too low to the ground to be as useful as it would be aimed up more.

Been working between storms to get it done
I was thinking of adding one but I know the mounting location would be hard to determine. My other car has one and I'm used to it and you can't even notice it has one ( factory) Where did you mount your camera? Can you tilt the lens or offset it with a half of a rubber grommet so it won't be so low

Last edited by enventr; 06-12-2015 at 08:16 AM.
Old 06-12-2015, 08:30 AM
crowz
Melting Slicks

I went beside the tag light above the tag. Its almost invisible there and looks factory. I'll try to shoot a pic of it today.
Old 06-12-2015, 02:04 PM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Heres the pics of the backup camera. Car needs washing but weather isn't being nice for that.
Attached Images    
Old 06-12-2015, 02:06 PM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Also all that stuff on the back of the car that looks like its been hit are actually reflections of stuff behind the car.
Old 06-12-2015, 02:12 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Also all that stuff on the back of the car that looks like its been hit are actually reflections of stuff behind the car.
Lol so dirty I can see you nice car. Looks like you can use the camera to hunt knight crawlers. Can you see anything behind you yet?
Old 06-12-2015, 02:29 PM
crowz
Melting Slicks

It actually will show an 18 wheelers trailer worth to the left and right and covers a wide area up too. Was worried about the downward angle but it has a 170 degree field of view and night vision. I need to shoot some pics of the screen with it on. Just haven't had a chance to drive it with the weather being crappy.

Heres the camera. Not bad for $15.99

Amazon.com : SallyBest® Waterproof Night Vision High Definition 420TVL Car Rear View Camera Universal Auto Parking Reverse Vehicle Backup Camera with 170 Degree Viewing Angle : Car Electronics Amazon.com : SallyBest® Waterproof Night Vision High Definition 420TVL Car Rear View Camera Universal Auto Parking Reverse Vehicle Backup Camera with 170 Degree Viewing Angle : Car Electronics
Old 06-12-2015, 04:17 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

It actually will show an 18 wheelers trailer worth to the left and right and covers a wide area up too. Was worried about the downward angle but it has a 170 degree field of view and night vision. I need to shoot some pics of the screen with it on. Just haven't had a chance to drive it with the weather being crappy.

Heres the camera. Not bad for $15.99

Amazon.com : SallyBest® Waterproof Night Vision High Definition 420TVL Car Rear View Camera Universal Auto Parking Reverse Vehicle Backup Camera with 170 Degree Viewing Angle : Car Electronics
Good deal
Old 06-13-2015, 11:12 AM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

Heres the pics of the backup camera. Car needs washing but weather isn't being nice for that.
It does look like factory and a great price. You did a nice installation.
Old 06-13-2015, 12:09 PM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by enventr
It does look like factory and a great price. You did a nice installation.
Thanks !
Old 06-13-2015, 12:10 PM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DaveP85C4
There's a big plug in the passenger kick panel. You can pull it out over the top of the kick panel. It's the interface between the IP harness and the rear lamp harness. The lt green wire is in there too. Probably a lot easier than disassembling the console.
That probably would be easier for younger folks. At my age its probably easier to do the console just because I don't do upside down with my head in the floorboard as well as I did when I was younger

But if you can handle being inverted like that your idea would be better than what I did probably.
Old 05-16-2017, 02:16 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts
Default sorry for digging up a 2015 thread but

That probably would be easier for younger folks. At my age its probably easier to do the console just because I don't do upside down with my head in the floorboard as well as I did when I was younger

But if you can handle being inverted like that your idea would be better than what I did probably.
I know crowZ is still very active and he may have further comments on this. I am about to install a back up cam in my 86 but I have the 4+3. This thread has been about automatics so far.
Wondering if anyone can make a comment to add to this thread so that when other people come along they will find it as well if they have the manual for where to tap into the reverse light signal.

cheers. VT.
Old 05-16-2017, 03:09 PM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
I know crowZ is still very active and he may have further comments on this. I am about to install a back up cam in my 86 but I have the 4+3. This thread has been about automatics so far.
Wondering if anyone can make a comment to add to this thread so that when other people come along they will find it as well if they have the manual for where to tap into the reverse light signal.

cheers. VT.
For my '92 I bought a camera that has a reverse wire integrated into the video cable. That way once you've run the video cable to your radio and connected the camera end of the cable to the backup lights you don't need to find a wire inside the car. The funny thing is after I got it all wired up I found the backup light switch on the ZF6 isn't working, so I have to replace it or clean it and hope it works.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:08 AM
A Peter C4
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts

Some off the new wireless cameras,lens portion just tap in at reverse wire right near rear plate , 1 wire for power and activation, then power is only needed at camera screen in car.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:40 AM
crowz
Melting Slicks

I never did put a backup camera on the 4+3 coupe I had years ago so I don't have any first hand experience but the info posted about by others should solve it for you.

Get notified of new replies

To Inside the car reverse light signal?

Quick Reply: Inside the car reverse light signal?