E brake warning light won't illuminate

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 10:55 AM
thewraith77
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E brake warning light won't illuminate

Hello,

How do I fix or replace my emergency brake warning light, on 1984 Corvette? It will not illuminate when I set the parking brake. Can anyone help please!

Thank you everyone.

Last edited by thewraith77; 06-15-2015 at 11:09 AM.
Old 06-15-2015, 11:45 AM
kg4fku
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by thewraith77
Hello,

How do I fix or replace my emergency brake warning light, on 1984 Corvette? It will not illuminate when I set the parking brake. Can anyone help please!

Thank you everyone.
Are you sure it is not a stuck switch?
Old 06-15-2015, 11:52 AM
thewraith77
7th Gear

Originally Posted by kg4fku
Are you sure it is not a stuck switch?
I'm not sure if its the switch. I don't even know where the switch is located, and if it's the switch, how do I know if its on the frits?
Old 06-15-2015, 12:58 PM
kg4fku
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by thewraith77
I'm not sure if its the switch. I don't even know where the switch is located, and if it's the switch, how do I know if its on the frits?
There should be a switch located at the base of the handle. I don't have an 84 so I can't be sure and I am unable to locate any exploded diagrams to post.

However, most E-Brake or parking brake handles have small switches in the base. This switch is usually feed with one wire and the base of the switch is grounded. When the handle is pulled, the switch is allowed to extend into the "closed" position which allows the circuit to be completed to ground. This circuit activates or energizes the parking light bulb. It is a momentary push button switch except this one activates in the "up" or "extended" position rather in the "depressed" or "down" position.

Sometimes these little switches get gummed up or something gets wedged in them and does not allow them to extend.
Old 06-15-2015, 01:04 PM
thewraith77
7th Gear

Originally Posted by kg4fku
There should be a switch located at the base of the handle. I don't have an 84 so I can't be sure and I am unable to locate any exploded diagrams to post.

However, most E-Brake or parking brake handles have small switches in the base. This switch is usually feed with one wire and the base of the switch is grounded. When the handle is pulled, the switch is allowed to extend into the "closed" position which allows the circuit to be completed to ground. This circuit activates or energizes the parking light bulb. It is a momentary push button switch except this one activates in the "up" or "extended" position rather in the "depressed" or "down" position.

Sometimes these little switches get gummed up or something gets wedged in them and does not allow them to extend.
OK, thank you. I'll go check that out and see what I can find.
Old 06-15-2015, 01:18 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

My 89 has the same problem, it is not the switch in the handle, but something in the info center on the dash. When I take the cluster out it works, but then when it goes back together it is a hit or miss affair.

Get notified of new replies

To E brake warning light won't illuminate

Quick Reply: E brake warning light won't illuminate