Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1985 Corvette Project

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 08:02 PM
Mishawaka
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I read in the thread that you installed a new fuel pump but the first thing I would do is check the pressure. Very nice read btw and love that you and your dad together have brought it back to life.
The following users liked this post:
junkyard_dog72 (12-15-2015)
Old 12-12-2015, 09:47 PM
Silver96ce
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Your starting problems may be with the cold start injector also know as the ninth injector. There could be a problem with it causing the hard starting.

Here's a link to an earlier thread regarding it -
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-now-what.html

The link for Fuel Injector Connection in the thread is an old one and here is the new link -
http://www.fuelinjectorconnection.com/

Contact them and see about sending in your injectors and cold start injector for cleaning and testing.
The following users liked this post:
junkyard_dog72 (12-15-2015)
Old 12-13-2015, 02:55 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

answers in ur quote

Originally Posted by junkyard_dog72
Thanks for all the compliments and advice!

So I have a few questions:
Does anyone have recommendations for an inexpensive indoor car cover for the winter? yup, i used 2 old queensized sheets. then i got this:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=180731374068

Chevrolet Corvette C4 6 Layer Car Cover 1984 1985 1986 1987 1988 1989 1990

The compressor clutches for the A/C locked up towards the end of summer, what are some recommendations for a new compressor/accessories that need to be replaced? Rock Auto has the cheapest and other CF vendors have it as well. FWIW We plan on using R4 because we have access to it.

What is the best way to clean up the wheels? I wet sanded all 4 and the drivers side turned out fine, but the passenger side where the sun was when it sat still look bad because of the clear coat.

------ check your classified for replacement salad shooters. i can buy 4 here for 100$. easier than refinishing. imo the 80's wheels make these cars look like....well... i dont like them. look up C6 wheels on a c4.

The radio (Bose) is an issue, as they all seem to be. It has been working better as of late, and the speakers sound fine when they get the signal but other times it goes out. Pushing between the ***** seems to bring it back occasionally or a numb in the road will do it. Is this an issue with the receiver itself? Ideally we would like to buy an adapter for the Bose and the new head unit and keep the old speakers in to avoid rewiring the system.

------cant help u here havnt attacked the bose. right now i use the mp3 cable and am working on bluetooth and a microphone for handsfree calling. all with factory head unit.

Where does everyone recommend the cluster get rebuilt? I have heard of batee and also looked into Keen Parts where it gets sent out through them for a rebuild. Currently the system flickers on occasion, doesn't light up at all(Did it for a week then stopped), only works when the headlights or marker lights are on (dim only, could see the numbers with enough sun), and occasionally works right.

----- batee is where id send mine. or id use the batee info and try to fix myself.

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-13-2015, 10:29 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Any chance you might share your budget and where you're at at this point?
Old 12-13-2015, 10:58 PM
PAPERBKWRITER
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Great to see you save this Vette. You and Dad are doing an awesome job. Keep the updates coming.
Old 12-15-2015, 11:46 AM
junkyard_dog72
Burning Brakes

Received 209 Likes on 114 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist- Modified
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2016 C4 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Mishawaka
I read in the thread that you installed a new fuel pump but the first thing I would do is check the pressure. Very nice read btw and love that you and your dad together have brought it back to life.
Originally Posted by Silver96ce
Your starting problems may be with the cold start injector also know as the ninth injector. There could be a problem with it causing the hard starting.

Here's a link to an earlier thread regarding it -
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-now-what.html

The link for Fuel Injector Connection in the thread is an old one and here is the new link -
http://www.fuelinjectorconnection.com/

Contact them and see about sending in your injectors and cold start injector for cleaning and testing.
Thank you! I'll definitely check the fuel pressure, and the start problems were after it was running in traffic and warm then sat for a while, but if cold start problems begin occurring this is the first thing I'll check. I started the car later that night(Saturday) as well as yesterday and it fired up normally so I'll continue to drive it and see if the issue arises again and go from there. These 60 degree December days in Cincinnati are the best!

Once again, thank you for your time in checking this out and your suggestions, it is all very helpful
Old 12-15-2015, 11:54 AM
junkyard_dog72
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RC000E
Any chance you might share your budget and where you're at at this point?

The budget was supposed to be around $6000, preferably less especially when we were looking at Trans Ams or Camaros, but the total cost has been around $8000 so far. There is still plenty to do without going through a full restoration but the main objective has been to get the car to run and drive reliably.
Old 12-15-2015, 11:55 AM
junkyard_dog72
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PAPERBKWRITER
Great to see you save this Vette. You and Dad are doing an awesome job. Keep the updates coming.
Thank You! Its been a fun and eventful ride so far
Old 12-15-2015, 12:35 PM
N227GB
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18,'19-'20,'23

My dad drove his '72 and I drove our '85 for a little cruise and then to grab some ice cream. It was definitely one of the highlights of the project by far!
They look great together!

As for some of the electrical bugs, I'd start looking at continuity and corrosion around connectors first. My 88 is a lower mileage car, always prospected from the elements, but I find stuff like this -

Intermittent driver's side door lock switch:

Faster holding a wiring harness ground point to the frame, inside the driver's foot well:

Here's the ground point:

After seeing the condition of that switch, I pulled all the connectors and switches for the driver's door to clean everything up. Long term plan is to go through the whole car with a little brass brush and a can DeoxIT.

Last edited by N227GB; 12-15-2015 at 12:37 PM. Reason: fixed picture link
Old 01-07-2016, 02:44 PM
junkyard_dog72
Burning Brakes

So after a couple more good weather winter drives, the next and probably expected problem has arisen. The brake line going towards the rear underneath the battery from the master cylinder is leaking. It feels like there are two lines so we plan on getting the car up in the air to find the failing line. The pedal is still firm and fluid was at the low line in the rear cylinder of the master, so I topped that off and it has leaked more since Christmas, below is a picture. It is not back to the low mark yet, its still toward the top and has since slowed considerably. Heres a pic of the leak underneath the car
Old 01-07-2016, 11:31 PM
mcguirjf
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Gauge fix - batee! Get support. Get videos on YouTube.

Give this video series a check on diagnosis of the fuel injectors.

If you have the original injectors, they probably due for replacement. FIC has the best deal for a set of rebuild Bosch injectors.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:25 AM
junkyard_dog72
Burning Brakes

After further investigation the brake fluid leak is from the seal between the master cylinder and brake booster. A new Reybestos master cylinder is on its way right now so hopefully we have time to work on installing that and bleeding the brakes. Thankfully theres been some snow to keep me from wishing i could take it out right now!

On another hand, does anyone have experience with the "Four Seasons" brand AC Compressor/kit from Rock Auto? It seems to be the most affordable option by far and is R4 compatible(I have R4 freon for the car). If not is there any relatively economical AC option to get it running again? The compressor needs replacing due to a locked compressor. Thanks to all!
Old 02-09-2016, 11:53 AM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts

After further investigation the brake fluid leak is from the seal between the master cylinder and brake booster. A new Reybestos master cylinder is on its way right now so hopefully we have time to work on installing that and bleeding the brakes. Thankfully theres been some snow to keep me from wishing i could take it out right now!

On another hand, does anyone have experience with the "Four Seasons" brand AC Compressor/kit from Rock Auto? It seems to be the most affordable option by far and is R4 compatible(I have R4 freon for the car). If not is there any relatively economical AC option to get it running again? The compressor needs replacing due to a locked compressor. Thanks to all!
I had to replace the brake master cylinder on my 85. It was fine when I bought the car but started leaking after use. Makes sense after sitting for a long amount of time!
Old 02-09-2016, 01:37 PM
gwalsh88
Burning Brakes

Received 803 Likes on 163 Posts

The Car is looking Great! keep it up!
Old 02-09-2016, 10:09 PM
junkyard_dog72
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chstitans42
I had to replace the brake master cylinder on my 85. It was fine when I bought the car but started leaking after use. Makes sense after sitting for a long amount of time!
It seems to be one of those things like the fuel pump, gas tank and radiator that was bound to happen with a car like this. Like when the distributor module failed in the summer, it is likely a good thing it happened when it did. With 6 inches of snow on the ground theres plenty of time to install the new master cylinder and to bleed the brakes the right way.

On a side note, is there any chance you're doing a video on the 78 Silver Anniversary Vette from the for sale threat in C3? I've always liked that 78/79 style and with the Anniversary Package, 4 speed and L82 it seems to be the best of the best for those years.

Originally Posted by gwalsh88
The Car is looking Great! keep it up!
Thank you! I see all of these great C4 projects that are fun to watch and learn from and it makes me want to make this car even better. Its a great car, especially when it runs and drives
Old 02-10-2016, 01:14 PM
KYC4
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 39 Posts

That's a terrific save with this '85! Glad it found a good home with you and your father. Once my '88 is up and running this summer we will have to meet up (I live right across the river in Northern Kentucky). You planning on going to the Keep Open House July 6th?

Keep up the terrific work!

Later,

Lee

P.S. Where was your build sheet located on the tank?
Old 02-11-2016, 09:34 PM
junkyard_dog72
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by KYC4
That's a terrific save with this '85! Glad it found a good home with you and your father. Once my '88 is up and running this summer we will have to meet up (I live right across the river in Northern Kentucky). You planning on going to the Keep Open House July 6th?

Keep up the terrific work!

Later,

Lee

P.S. Where was your build sheet located on the tank?
Thanks! Its great to find another local C4 forum member! I plan on being at the Keen open house, I've made many many trips down there for parts. They're top notch people who appreciate all Corvettes and are extremely helpful and knowledgable. Thanks for the kind words!

The build sheet was on the side facing the front of the car(I think). Heres a picture if it helps

Get notified of new replies

To 1985 Corvette Project

Old 02-15-2016, 02:34 PM
junkyard_dog72
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DaveP85C4
Neat project and thread. Thanks for taking the time to write and update the thread.

I like the color choice. I may have considered retaining the 2-tone, because 2-tone is just so 80's. My 85 is 2-tone blue.

Your intermittent, hot restart, rough running, issue may be the MAF sensor. The 85 is a one year only MAF, burn off module, and ECM. In 86 it all upgrades to the 165 ECM. The multec injector failures and hot start are well known. But only affect 89-92. The 85-88 Bosch EV1's aren't affected by ethanol. They can get dirty or clogged, but this affects hot or cold.

Interesting input regarding your trans cooler failure. I've owned my car since new, and have only change the coolant a couple of times in conjunction with other repairs. I only drive it a couple of hundred miles a year. But now I'm concerned about corrosion damage to the trans cooler. I have the 4+3. The overdrive is plumbed into the cooler. I do not want coolant in the overdrive. Parts for your automatic are available, parts for the overdrive, not so much. Thanks for making me think.

Last question: What part of the country did that car get driven Winters in? Pretty crusty. My hat is off to you guys that will deal with this kind of crustiness. I'm a Southern Californian. I seldom see this kind of deterioration.

Nice car. Be proud.
Once the weather gets warmer and I start driving the car more often I'll see if the warm startup issue still exists and go from there. If it does I'll absolutely look into that and hope it isn't the MAF sensor because of the cost. In regards to the corrosion with the cooling lines, the car was sitting outside during Cincinnati winters for a few or more years. The temperatures have been mid 40s to 10 below during those times with a bunch of snow so its probably an instance of this car sitting outside for so long and not common. For everyone's sake I hope it was a one off instance because that rebuild/radiator was crazy expensive

In regards to the two tone, I really did like the original two tone paint and one of my paint ideas was C7 blade silver over C7 cyber gray in a modern twist of the original. My dad isn't the two tone fan I am but after browsing C7 forums and looking at shark gray in person we both really liked the way the color changes in the sun. I am a two tone fan and saw a blue two tone 85 at the Cincinnati Cavalcade of Customs, which was pretty cool to see. Thank you for the kind words!

On another note, theres an almost identical car in terms of color, condition, problems and price on the local craigslist. http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/cto/5423686000.html

Last edited by junkyard_dog72; 02-15-2016 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Added CL Link
Old 02-16-2016, 11:36 AM
Zoldier
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The car looks great. Looks like you started off just like I did with my 87 project by replacing the fuel tank. You got me motivated to get up and do some more work to mine. Thanks.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:57 PM
junkyard_dog72
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Zoldier
The car looks great. Looks like you started off just like I did with my 87 project by replacing the fuel tank. You got me motivated to get up and do some more work to mine. Thanks.
I remember reading that thread and seeing the rust all the way up to the cap from the gas tank and thinking we were lucky it wasn't that bad. I just reread the thread and its amazing to hear it run again; its one of the greatest feelings and the biggest relief hearing all of your hard work bring it to life again. And your interior looks just about perfect!

Quick Reply: 1985 Corvette Project