C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1995 doors unlock when i shut the door

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 10:00 PM
chadk
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 1995 doors unlock when i shut the door

Weird thing going on. When I close the drivers door both door will unlock. I don't have a FOB for the PKE. Is this functionality something programmed into the car or do I have an electrical gremlin? All the lock/unlock buttons work properly. I think this is with the key in the ignition only because I can lock my doors and close them and they stay locked when I have the keys on me.
Old 10-22-2015, 10:17 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

would you rather lock your keys in your car?
The following users liked this post:
chadk (10-24-2015)
Old 10-22-2015, 10:55 PM
chadk
Racer

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
would you rather lock your keys in your car?
No. Of course not. If by design then this is great idea. I have never seen this done before and wondered if this was part of the PKE system. Most cars lock the doors when the shifter is moved to drive. I never seen one unlock the door.
Old 10-23-2015, 12:24 AM
Gunho
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Correct. The PKE will unlock the doors if the key is still in the ignition even without a fob.
chadk (10-24-2015)
Old 10-23-2015, 10:34 AM
steve1657
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunho
Correct. The PKE will unlock the doors if the key is still in the ignition even without a fob.

And if the key is not in the ignition, lock door then close; your alarm should now be activated.
chadk (10-24-2015)
Old 10-24-2015, 12:46 AM
chadk
Racer

cool! good to know. I wish this was adopted to some of my other cars.

Thanks for reply
Old 03-15-2016, 02:33 AM
vetttony
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for you great help 8Vette7. The car tyre sensors work all 4 as I drove it last night for 80 miles or so. The chap had replaced the rear sensors as I met him last night. He also said that he managed to connect the fob and the horn beeped. It's not working now and think it must be the fob. I wonder if there is a test to see if it emits a signal? On another note I have a slight oil leak and it hits the exhaust we cleaned the area but couldn't see where it's coming from. It was quite wet under there. It looks dry 6" above pan all round the engine apart from maybe the very front of the engine.
Old 03-15-2016, 03:09 AM
Gunho
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by vetttony
Thanks for you great help 8Vette7. The car tyre sensors work all 4 as I drove it last night for 80 miles or so. The chap had replaced the rear sensors as I met him last night. He also said that he managed to connect the fob and the horn beeped. It's not working now and think it must be the fob. I wonder if there is a test to see if it emits a signal? On another note I have a slight oil leak and it hits the exhaust we cleaned the area but couldn't see where it's coming from. It was quite wet under there. It looks dry 6" above pan all round the engine apart from maybe the very front of the engine.
Unfortunately the fob drains batteries fast. I always keep a spare around. Try replacing the battery and the fob should work. For awhile. LOL
Old 03-15-2016, 03:31 AM
vetttony
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately the fob drains batteries fast. I always keep a spare around. Try replacing the battery and the fob should work. For awhile. LOL
Thanks, I changed it and so did the previous keeper who imported it as he obviously had this problem also. I do believe him that he did pair it recently but maybe it's completely dead now. I don't suppose the car battery going dead due to a light left on has anything to do with it as it won't pair. I'll try one more time now and re read codes today to see if there are any repeat offenders!
Old 03-15-2016, 06:25 PM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by vetttony
Read in the manual how the fob is supposed to work. The horn honking doesn't sound like a problem. If you still think you do have a problem post details.

Get notified of new replies

To 1995 doors unlock when i shut the door

Quick Reply: 1995 doors unlock when i shut the door