C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

96 Vette = Whack a mole

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 02:31 PM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by kimmer
I understand your concerns on your 20 year old car. This is what I got into 2 weeks after I bought mine all the time thinking I just want to drive it.

That just hurts to see.
Old 10-30-2015, 03:57 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by Renfield
I broke it? Big ASSumption for an ant.

The delrin bushings were not enough. Both units were installed by the dealer from junk yard parts. And the bushings in the armature were completely gone. That's why it was binding in the other post, where you suggested going to ebay or a junkyard.

Eckler's reman. units on 20% off were comparable in price to junk yards. Both are in now and working.

The reason I had the driver's side out so much was a lack of familiarity with these units, when the delrin kit failed. Once I realized the whole unit was junk, I replaced them.
sorry for my ASSumption but when you tear something apart a dozen times not knowing what your doing or asking for help it is still my ASSumption.
Old 10-30-2015, 04:27 PM
Renfield
Drifting

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
sorry for my ASSumption but when you tear something apart a dozen times not knowing what your doing or asking for help it is still my ASSumption.
"That's why it was binding in the other post, where you suggested going to ebay or a junkyard."

I have no idea why you seem to delight in a p1ssing contest. But you might try reading before you reply. I DID ask in a separate post, and you responded.
Old 10-30-2015, 04:31 PM
Renfield
Drifting

Originally Posted by whalepirot
I applaud you for taking the high road and not blasting back at the few who have nothing positive to say. There is an ignore option, which may be underused.
Good to know. I think I've found the perfect poster to use it on.
Old 10-30-2015, 04:50 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

sorry for trying to help and can not keep up with all your posts best to stick with one and not scatter them about. and expect others to keep up with them.

Last edited by antfarmer2; 10-30-2015 at 09:04 PM.
Old 10-30-2015, 06:32 PM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by RollaMo-LT4
So, I have to correct you when you say "every other C4 headlamp".

My '96 with over 120,000 miles has never had any headlamp issues.
They work just fine every time I use them.

My '96.....99K miles....no headlamp issues to date.
Old 10-31-2015, 07:34 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
sorry for trying to help and can not keep up with all your posts best to stick with one and not scatter them about. and expect others to keep up with them.
antfarmer2

It is perfectly clear why you can't keep up with your posts.

Thanks for your insights.
Old 10-31-2015, 07:46 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by renfield
i would like to own one car in my life with a working fob before i die.
lolol ....
Old 10-31-2015, 10:10 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

antfarmer2

It is perfectly clear why you can't keep up with your posts.

Thanks for your insights.
I have no problem keeping up with my posts only a dozen or so and some were to share info. but when trying to help others with thiers is is difficult when they have multiple posts for the same issue. and looking at yours I helped you before when you were unable to find your plug to hook up your code reader. with most new posters till I figure out how much they know. I start out with that they know very little. you started off by calling your new to you vette a POS because of a few minor problems. then told us you had torn apart your headlights a dozen times. that is where my ASSumption came in that you broke it. from my experience when someone tears something apart that many times they do not know what they are doing and most likely doing more damage than good. as far as my pissing match sorry I do not see it. as far as blocking me feel free it will not hurt my feelings.

Last edited by antfarmer2; 10-31-2015 at 10:18 AM.
Old 10-31-2015, 01:51 PM
MavsAK
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Maybe. But I whaled on mine. I supercharged it for a few years too.

There's an old saying that it's easier to push a slow car hard than to drive a fast car slow.
Supercharged it probably still made less power than the LT1 starts at.

It also still doesn't make my statement any less true. You supercharged your miata. you probably also took care of routine maintenance, most people? Don't even change the oil regularly, particularly domestic owners.

As far as your issues with the vette go, man that's a drop in the bucket.
Here's what I've had to do to mine over the last 3 years.

Intake Gaskets (which I took the opportunity to swap on, an edelbrock high flow base, SLP runners, and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator)

Fuel injectors (yes all 8. Took the opportunity to upgrade to bosch 3s)

Fuel Pump (took the opportunity, and upgraded to a 255 lph fuel pump)

2 Ignition control modules

1 Ignition coil

Plug wires, 2 sets of plugs

Radiator rotted the end of the hose inlet, so I took the chance to upgrade this with a Dewitts Radiator

Rear Leaf spring cracked, so upgraded it with a VBP Sport Spring

New Bilsteins

The entire brake system, save for the brake booster.

Tires (and used that as a chance to move up to an 18" wheel so I can cram C6 ZO6 brakes onto the car later)

Every fuse in the car.
Fixing the wiring behind the HVAC controls and stereo.

Wiper arm transmission on the drivers side.

Weatherstripping around the A pillar, dash to door seals, and door gaskets.

2 Tops. (One I bought is just -enough- off shaped that it can't be used without damaging the top...so I had to get a -second- top, this one a fiberglass top off a 94..which worked like a charm)

Tach filter

MAF sensor
MAF Burn Off Relays

Knock Sensor

Coolant Temp sensor

2 Thermostats (one I bought went bad)

Hoses

All of the vacuum lines

So about that POS you own? Not so much.

That was just the stuff I -had- to do. That's not the entire laundry list of things I've done since owning it. But everything else was stuff I -wanted- to do.

Last edited by MavsAK; 10-31-2015 at 01:54 PM.
Old 10-31-2015, 04:32 PM
trilkb
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

My service engine light came on today!
Old 10-31-2015, 10:17 PM
Renfield
Drifting

Originally Posted by MavsAK
Supercharged it probably still made less power than the LT1 starts at.

It also still doesn't make my statement any less true. You supercharged your miata. you probably also took care of routine maintenance, most people? Don't even change the oil regularly, particularly domestic owners.

As far as your issues with the vette go, man that's a drop in the bucket.
Here's what I've had to do to mine over the last 3 years.

Intake Gaskets (which I took the opportunity to swap on, an edelbrock high flow base, SLP runners, and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator)

Fuel injectors (yes all 8. Took the opportunity to upgrade to bosch 3s)

Fuel Pump (took the opportunity, and upgraded to a 255 lph fuel pump)

2 Ignition control modules

1 Ignition coil

Plug wires, 2 sets of plugs

Radiator rotted the end of the hose inlet, so I took the chance to upgrade this with a Dewitts Radiator

Rear Leaf spring cracked, so upgraded it with a VBP Sport Spring

New Bilsteins

The entire brake system, save for the brake booster.

Tires (and used that as a chance to move up to an 18" wheel so I can cram C6 ZO6 brakes onto the car later)

Every fuse in the car.
Fixing the wiring behind the HVAC controls and stereo.

Wiper arm transmission on the drivers side.

Weatherstripping around the A pillar, dash to door seals, and door gaskets.

2 Tops. (One I bought is just -enough- off shaped that it can't be used without damaging the top...so I had to get a -second- top, this one a fiberglass top off a 94..which worked like a charm)

Tach filter

MAF sensor
MAF Burn Off Relays

Knock Sensor

Coolant Temp sensor

2 Thermostats (one I bought went bad)

Hoses

All of the vacuum lines

So about that POS you own? Not so much.

That was just the stuff I -had- to do. That's not the entire laundry list of things I've done since owning it. But everything else was stuff I -wanted- to do.
The first month?

You're right. My pains are not worthy by comparison. Mine got me to work and back today. Again.

And the working headlights are a treat.

Last edited by Renfield; 10-31-2015 at 10:26 PM.
Old 10-31-2015, 10:58 PM
Silver96ce
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Renfield, when the foibles of the car get you down, do as you did originally and post about it. Most of the members will commiserate or try to pump you up. And some may give you a hard time. That seems to be the nature of all forums.

I know a C4 is definitely not a "perfect" car but I try to look at it this way - it was made to be a world beater (at the time) at a relatively low price point. At the time of introduction, it outhandled just about anything else on the road regardless of price or pedigree. And it's power was comparable again to most of what was on the road at the time. Over its run, new technologies were used in it such as an ABS, traction control, adjustable suspension, fiberglass springs, etc. But since it was built to a lower price point than its' contemporary rivals, materials and components other than suspension or drivetrain often suffered.

And since it is currently the "bastard" child in the Corvette hierarchy, the buy-in is still very cheap. Fortunately for me, I always liked the C4 and wanted one for years. So for me the cheap price was a plus not a minus.

So we have to perform more maintenance, repairs and upgrades to make up for the shortcomings. Most of the time I don't mind but like you sometimes it gets to me as it did to you. That's when I walk away for a few days to regroup.

So please stick around and continue to contribute. The more, the merrier.

The following users liked this post:
Renfield (11-01-2015)
Old 11-01-2015, 01:47 AM
MavsAK
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

The first month?

You're right. My pains are not worthy by comparison. Mine got me to work and back today. Again.

And the working headlights are a treat.
Over 3 years...but quite a few of that was in six months of ownership!

I got a heater core now that's going to need replaced soon.

Once you get over the Neglect and Abuse factors, it'll be a damn near bulletproof car. I could probably drive to California and back without a hitch now (I live in NC).
Renfield (11-01-2015)
Old 11-01-2015, 08:49 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

They were doing the same crap every other C4 headlamp does, from what I read here. I have had the driver side out about a dozen times. Installed delron bushings. Nylon gear is perfect. Motor itself works fine. Bind is in the*actuator.

The kit was maybe $12, plus a crazy $10 s/h.The delrin bushings were not enough. Both units were installed by the dealer from junk yard parts. And the bushings in the armature were completely gone.That's why it was binding in the other post, whereyou*suggested going to ebay or a junkyard.

I was trying to help you. this is some of the confuseing info you gave us. sorry if I offended you.

Last edited by antfarmer2; 11-01-2015 at 08:50 AM.
Old 11-16-2015, 09:27 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Default Feeling much better

The second month with Lucy has been a much better experience. I've tackled the most heinous failures, and now I'm learning to live with the little stuff while choosing the next fix. It's not so much that I've lowered my expectations. More like broadened them.

She drips on my knee in the rain, the HVAC occasionally flashes me and goes defrost, and I use a bluetooth OBDII dongle to kill the CEL almost daily when it pops up for the P1441 code. Oh, and I have to use an actual key to open the door.

But the tires hold air, the wheels face forward, and the drivetrain goes giddyup on the finest generation Corvette ever. What's not to like?

antfarmer2, I don't know what to tell you. Miscommunication is rampant on these forums. I'm sorry for the disconnect in our communication and appreciate your attempts to help. Bygones.

Cheers all.
antfarmer2 (11-16-2015)
Old 11-18-2015, 12:35 PM
softwarejanitor
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The 1984 C4 I used to have although it was low milage (68k when I got it) looked nice, had quite a few little issues that I had to deal with when I got it... A bunch of those were cosmetic, but there were some mechanical and electric ones. Once I got through all that though it was pretty much trouble free for quite a while right up until an uninsured idiot took a corner too hard, crossed over the center line and t-boned me and totalled my car. Dohh!

The 1989 I got to replace it has had a few issues as well... one of the headlight motors, a couple injectors went bad, then the battery and alternator... This car sat a lot... only 41k when I got it last month and the previous owner only put 18k on it in 19 years he owned it. But I'm hoping that now that I am past the initial issues I will get some trouble free service out of it since it is my daily driver and I sold the 2002 Monte Carlo SS that was my backup. If the 1989 isn't running I only have my 1980 C3 or I'm dependent on my wife to drive me around in her 2015 Silverado... And I'm really hoping that now that I've got a modern stereo in it and getting it all the way I want it that I don't get hit by some a-hole again...

Get notified of new replies

To 96 Vette = Whack a mole

Old 11-30-2015, 09:45 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Originally Posted by softwarejanitor
The 1984 C4 I used to have although it was low milage (68k when I got it) looked nice, had quite a few little issues that I had to deal with when I got it... A bunch of those were cosmetic, but there were some mechanical and electric ones. Once I got through all that though it was pretty much trouble free for quite a while right up until an uninsured idiot took a corner too hard, crossed over the center line and t-boned me and totalled my car. Dohh!

The 1989 I got to replace it has had a few issues as well... one of the headlight motors, a couple injectors went bad, then the battery and alternator... This car sat a lot... only 41k when I got it last month and the previous owner only put 18k on it in 19 years he owned it. But I'm hoping that now that I am past the initial issues I will get some trouble free service out of it since it is my daily driver and I sold the 2002 Monte Carlo SS that was my backup. If the 1989 isn't running I only have my 1980 C3 or I'm dependent on my wife to drive me around in her 2015 Silverado... And I'm really hoping that now that I've got a modern stereo in it and getting it all the way I want it that I don't get hit by some a-hole again...
Now everyone is really going to kill me for whining because the Bose still works. At least the FM does. The cassette adapter I use with my iPhone didn't work and I had to McGuyver it out.

The "M" car has a fantastic stereo system that I never used. Borla exhaust was too loud. Most of the time I wore earplugs or noise canceling in-ear 'phones.

Three months on and I'm feeling much better about Lucy. Which is good because now I'm using what I've learned on her to work on the other new vette in the driveway, a 95 Polo.

Vette Fever spread to the wife. She makes this funny giggle and a huge smile covers her face when she taps the go pedal. Headlamp bushings and horns went in right after the oil change/lube! Up next: emergency hood releases all around.

Still haven't listed the "M" car yet. It's hard to let go of a car that has performed so well for so long. But it's looking mighty lonesome.
Attached Images  
KYC4 (11-30-2015)
Old 11-30-2015, 11:04 AM
KYC4
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 39 Posts

Renfield, I am glad that you are enjoying your C4 now. Indeed it's a real PITA when you look forward to owning a car with the aura and visceral appeal that a Corvette offers and you get less than stellar results in the initial honeymoon phase.

Nice to see another in the stable! Do fill us in on the '95 please. And don't forsake the 'M' car...you held onto it for as many years as you did for reasons of the heart. Go and driver her...she deserves that.

And as for the miscommunication between you and any other members on points made I can tell you that 'typeface' is a dangerous place to me without a plan. My job has me in constant contact with clients via Facebook, email, texts and Twitter. I use emoticons and emojis quite often and always add an extra sentence when I feel I need to make sure no offence is intended. I see stuff like this all day and it can snowball quickly. Glad that things have been explained and all worked out. It's a pretty tight group here on CF and we all do look out for one another. The 'Debbie Downers' usually get bored and move on.

Again, it's good to have you here, sir. Enjoy ALL of your vehicles and thanks for sticking it out.

Later,

Lee
Renfield (12-01-2015)
Old 11-30-2015, 12:45 PM
Renfield
Drifting

Originally Posted by KYC4
Renfield, I am glad that you are enjoying your C4 now. Indeed it's a real PITA when you look forward to owning a car with the aura and visceral appeal that a Corvette offers and you get less than stellar results in the initial honeymoon phase.

Nice to see another in the stable! Do fill us in on the '95 please. And don't forsake the 'M' car...you held onto it for as many years as you did for reasons of the heart. Go and driver her...she deserves that.

And as for the miscommunication between you and any other members on points made I can tell you that 'typeface' is a dangerous place to me without a plan. My job has me in constant contact with clients via Facebook, email, texts and Twitter. I use emoticons and emojis quite often and always add an extra sentence when I feel I need to make sure no offence is intended. I see stuff like this all day and it can snowball quickly. Glad that things have been explained and all worked out. It's a pretty tight group here on CF and we all do look out for one another. The 'Debbie Downers' usually get bored and move on.

Again, it's good to have you here, sir. Enjoy ALL of your vehicles and thanks for sticking it out.

Later,

Lee
Thank you for the kind words, Lee! I'm still overwhelmed with fixes but you know in for a penny, in for a pound. And of course you're right about this inter web thingy. Easy to start a dustup over nothing. I don't want to leave anyone raw. Life's too short, and Corvette fans are all okay in my book.

Karen went wild looking for one, once she had a ride in mine. "I've never owned a fun car!" was the quote I liked best. We put over a thousand miles on mine scouring the area for another winner. I so regret not getting pictures of a couple bow-wow moments on that journey.

This one has been driven, but well maintained. 138K miles. It has both tops, but the tires were junk. Replaced with Nitto 555 which Discount Tire had to mount twice. It had the Tire Pressure Warning system but it seems inoperative, as is the PKE (surprise!) Interior needed/needs much TLC. I scrubbed the tan carpet furiously. Her cruise is working, for now, and a can of R134a brought the HVAC back to life.

Otherwise very stock and seemingly unmolested, down to the paper air filter. She even got the window sticker in the holder with the original owners manual.

And the way she drives, that low-key deep-green paint is her friend. Valentine One is coming.

Cheers!
George
KYC4 (11-30-2015)

Quick Reply: 96 Vette = Whack a mole