C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Best Weatherstripping

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 03:08 PM
billy mild
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Best Weatherstripping

Who has the best weatherstripping? I see some people talk about Corvette Rubber, or Ecklers. Is there really any difference between the brands?

I need the rear hatch weatherstripping, as well as the door piece to stop water getting in on my knees.
Old 11-02-2015, 03:45 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

I have seen folks like wilcox
Old 11-02-2015, 04:46 PM
Red89'-L98
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
FL Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor'13

DO NOT BUY IT FROM ECKLERS.

I bought the most expensive set from ecklers and within about a year now, and spot visible to sunlight is cracking and deteriorating. I contacted them over phone and never got any good response. I PM'd a guy on here and they tried to help at first and kept saying someone would call me, but they never did and now I have given up. At this point it is too late for me to change it as in a few weeks I will be leaving for a few months.

From what I have heard on here, wilcox is the best by far.
Old 11-02-2015, 05:25 PM
J W Drew
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Wilcox has the best. I think their supplier is Corvette Rubber (made in USA). However, it's my understanding, hatch seals are not available "made in USA" so you have no choice but trying an import.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:46 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Youll have better results getting latex. My wilcox rear hatch cracked in the corners within weeks. And that was just from sitting in my garage and having been opened a handful of times. I also took care closing it and making sure the corners were tucked in from the glass. Pretty unhappy with that. My Ecklers latex door mains are doing good so far. Latex b-pillar from lonestar caliper is doing good as well.
Old 11-03-2015, 05:13 AM
kenmohr
Drifting

Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by J W Drew
Wilcox has the best. I think their supplier is Corvette Rubber (made in USA). However, it's my understanding, hatch seals are not available "made in USA" so you have no choice but trying an import.
American made--http://www.steelerubber.com/ Iused their hatch seal and it fit perfect. Made right there in Texas.

Old 11-03-2015, 06:45 AM
85vetteguy
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Dt86
Youll have better results getting latex. My wilcox rear hatch cracked in the corners within weeks. And that was just from sitting in my garage and having been opened a handful of times. I also took care closing it and making sure the corners were tucked in from the glass. Pretty unhappy with that. My Ecklers latex door mains are doing good so far. Latex b-pillar from lonestar caliper is doing good as well.
Same result here. Bought the kit from Willcox mainly for the rear hatch. Installed it and the corner seperated within 2 weeks. Very dissappointed. I don't even want to install the rest now.
Old 05-13-2018, 03:54 AM
mortengj
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,
Im a new member here ,Im a happy c4 1995 owner from Norway. The car is in excellent condition. But I have a problem after replaced all weatherstripping. The side windows will not fit in the A pillar gasket.It looks to me that the gasket are not building enough bow ,the window looks ok in the upper and lower part of the A-pillar.But in the mid section the window bow is almost outside the gasket.I have tried all the adjusting,but it seems to me that the gasket are the problem..
I bought a 7 pieces ws-set from Ecklers 1.5 years ago,but because of busy job situation,I haven't done the job before now,and discover the problem.
I know I read about this problem on internet,but are there anyone here with the same problem that could advice/help me with this problem,I would be VERY HAPPY

Best regards
Morten Gjerde
Norway

Last edited by mortengj; 05-13-2018 at 03:55 AM. Reason: missing word
Old 05-13-2018, 08:08 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

As a hedge against the new rubber cracking (weathering) I learned (on this FORUM?) about using silicone based protectant i.e., tire shine protectant on all seals.

After 10 years now, the rubber I installed is still like the day it was new.

I bought from Corvette Rubber, but also from WILCOX. in both cases!

Far as the hatch corners go, you'd think by now that issue would have been solved. It has been a common complaint that I've read about since I bought my first Vette in 2002!

Last edited by Paul Workman; 05-13-2018 at 08:12 AM.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:58 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Guys.. I'll give you my 2 cents on this.. Stay away from the imported stuff... and stay away from the silica stuff.. CRC makes the best product on the market place. The Laytex stuff, while at one time it was working... it developed an issue with sticking to the door glass.

While the door mains may work good, the A and B pillar and the roof panel stuff would stick to the door glass.... And, sadly, if it's Laytex, it's imported as well.

The only stuff I'll install in my shop is CRC brand and thank goodness that CRC decided to finally make the rear hatch weatherstrip. I really don't like the way the corners look, but they work perfectly. The corners have a weird dip to the... but they still work and the corners don't separated. (unless your dog chews up the weatherstrip, but that's another story).

Willcox

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 05-13-2018 at 10:01 PM.
Old 05-13-2018, 10:09 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

Wilcox worked fine in mine..

Lube the hatch corners with dielectric grease.
The following users liked this post:
puterami (09-16-2019)
Old 05-16-2018, 03:33 PM
mortengj
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,
thanks for all comments/tips about my weatherstrip problem. Im gonna buy a new front roof/A-pillar gasket and hope it will solve the problem.
Morten
Old 05-17-2018, 12:00 PM
car addict
Burning Brakes

Received 224 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by kenmohr
American made--http://www.steelerubber.com/ Iused their hatch seal and it fit perfect. Made right there in Texas.
Steele Rubber's hatch seal is no longer made in USA. I bought one a couple weeks ago and it's stamped "MADE IN INDIA." Steele and Soffseal used to be top notch (JMO).
Old 05-18-2018, 07:21 AM
kenmohr
Drifting

Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by car addict
Steele Rubber's hatch seal is no longer made in USA. I bought one a couple weeks ago and it's stamped "MADE IN INDIA." Steele and Soffseal used to be top notch (JMO).
So I have been told. A shame, mine has been excellent.
Old 08-22-2018, 06:57 PM
grinditout
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Wilcox, sold me this, and it was split within the first year, now it is junk.

Old 08-22-2018, 06:59 PM
grinditout
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Old 09-15-2019, 08:45 AM
mmkkpro
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Rear hatch weatherstriping

Good morning guys, I am working on my 1990 ZR-1 and am researching rear hatch weather stripping. I found a site on ebay called INDY motorwerks, they have USA made products and their rear hatch weather stripping is all one piece, meaning the 45° corners are molded as one piece where as all others I have seen even oem are two piece. Have any of you guys used or heard of this company? They have a very good rating, any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To Best Weatherstripping

Old 09-15-2019, 09:28 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

Originally Posted by mmkkpro
Good morning guys, I am working on my 1990 ZR-1 and am researching rear hatch weather stripping. I found a site on ebay called INDY motorwerks, they have USA made products and their rear hatch weather stripping is all one piece, meaning the 45° corners are molded as one piece where as all others I have seen even oem are two piece. Have any of you guys used or heard of this company? They have a very good rating, any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
maybe they buy from crc.

guys, the hatch corner issue has been solved. crc made it a different way.

wilcox supplies from crc.

wilcox if you are out there can you lets us know id there has been any issues with the new hatch corner design. thnx.
Old 09-15-2019, 11:43 AM
car addict
Burning Brakes

Received 224 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by mmkkpro
I have bought a few items from Indy Motorworks by way of Ebay. I got good service and had no "issues."
Old 09-15-2019, 11:59 AM
mmkkpro
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Rear hatch weather stripping

Thanks guys, I'm going to give them a try. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Best Weatherstripping