Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Well, this was nice and complimentary... And in a C4...

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 09:07 AM
Elba Mike
Safety Car

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

Originally Posted by Renfield
Just don't like stickers of any kind on a work of art, regardless of the sentiment. It always bothers me. If my bumper had a scar that ugly, I'd be headed to the body shop.

Anyone can attach one, whether they are your "blood" brother or not.
Everyone is aware of, and understand, that. It's not meant to be a get out of jail card. It could be a sworn officer, a family member, or a private citizen showing support for Law Enforcement Officers.

Your original response seemed more anti-cop than anti bumper sticker, If I misunderstood your true intent, I apologize
Old 11-06-2015, 09:52 AM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

Received 144 Likes on 136 Posts

400 HP and that sticker is still on the tire? I don't believe it!
Old 11-06-2015, 10:32 AM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandensBeast
400 HP and that sticker is still on the tire? I don't believe it!
I crewed up and put the 500hp Sticker on the tires so its not going anywhere till I hit the NAWSSS!!
Old 11-06-2015, 10:35 AM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

As far as the Thin blue line sticker goes, I am not a police officer. I have until recently worked very closely with police officers and my sister is an Assistant DA. I bough the car from a police office and he asked me to leave it on there to show support.
Old 11-06-2015, 11:06 AM
dclafleur
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

I love my C4, I've thought about trading my Z06 for a B2K or a ZR-1. That being said people frequently laugh at me liking C4s so much and I've generally been ok with it because it's my car not theirs.

Recently I've been working with more people in their mid 20's who grew up with C4's like I did and I see a lot of love/nostalgia for them with that group too. I don't know that a C4 will ever be "iconic" for everyone, but I do think there will be a crowd of people who appreciate them and have fond memories of them just like every Corvette before it.
Old 11-06-2015, 11:51 AM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

Received 738 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by dclafleur
I love my C4, I've thought about trading my Z06 for a B2K or a ZR-1. That being said people frequently laugh at me liking C4s so much and I've generally been ok with it because it's my car not theirs.

Recently I've been working with more people in their mid 20's who grew up with C4's like I did and I see a lot of love/nostalgia for them with that group too. I don't know that a C4 will ever be "iconic" for everyone, but I do think there will be a crowd of people who appreciate them and have fond memories of them just like every Corvette before it.

I've never experienced anyone "laughing" about, or over a C4, but I suppose it's possible. I've owned mine since new, taking delivery from a now defunct dealer. I have the car, and the dealer which sold it to me is gone, and so is my local servicing dealer. But now I do my own work

Anyways, I wanted a B2K when I bought this car, and still remember the back on black 1988 on the showroom floor. I bought my black/black 1989 a year later. And then 12 years after that, bought a B2K, never looking back

C4 Corvettes are great cars, and from what I'm seeing right now, the "tough ones" to own may be the C5 generation, with parts quickly fading away, and a ton of technology to support. The most I have to worry about on my 1989 are maybe the FX3 shocks. Everything else is fairly common.
Old 11-06-2015, 12:04 PM
06_LT1
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

First, the backstory. My mom - technically a stepmother, but the woman who raised me - was brought up by Depression parents, and dreamed for as long as she could remember about owning a Corvette. When my family moved to CA from PA, we were flat-*** broke, but after a decade of hard work, my parents' business started to prosper. Mom eventually got a used Jag, and then she had a sweet Camaro, and she had a Mustang in there somewhere, but she still longed for the Corvette.

In 1996, my Dad went to the Chevy dealership and purchased her the car of her dreams - a white Corvette (C4 LT1).

Mom loved her Corvette - there wasn't a person in town who had not seen the old lady with curly gray hair bombing around town in her white Corvette. She loved that car until the day she died.

That Corvette is now my Corvette, and every time I drive it, I feel like Mom's riding shotgun, and she's probably a little pissed that I keep turning off ASR. It's in near-new condition, with about 30K miles on it (yeah, thirty, NOT three hundred). I'll keep it until the day I die. When I took possession of it about 8 years ago, it had a massive 18,600 miles on it...she managed to pile on a massive 1,700 miles a year over those 11 years.

Now, one cool story: There are several. My C4 has no resonator and no mufflers - just a chambered exhaust. At Starbucks not that long ago, the 20ish girl working the window said she LOVED how the car sounded and asked me to make some noise, and I was happy to oblige...the chambered exhaust sounds amazing. I'm 90% sure that - if I wasn't happily married for 20+ years - she would have happily jumped into the passenger seat for some mischief.

Although I've done a few things to the car - the exhaust, a D44 3.73 swap, line locks for burnouts at the drag strip once or twice a year - it's still bone-stock as far as appearance. Makes me smile every time I walk through the garage and see "Mom's" car sitting there, always ready to head out for an adventure.

Last edited by 06_LT1; 11-06-2015 at 12:12 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by 06_LT1:
ch@0s (11-06-2015), MavsAK (11-11-2015), N227GB (12-22-2015)
Old 11-06-2015, 08:47 PM
Brackneyc
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was looking for a C-4 when I bought my C-5. EVERY C-4 I looked at was either beat to death, "modified" (re: cobbled up), or both. I had the C-5 for a few years, and recently sold it to buy another Jeep.

I got bored with that (after less than a year) since I no longer desire to go off-road, sold it, and now have a 1994 C-4. I finally have the Corvette I wanted in the first place. I enjoyed the C-5, and it was super dependable. But, I never shook the feeling that I really wanted a C-4.

Happy now, even though I only have a few weeks left of driving weather. Oh well, it will be parked next to my 67 Camaro for the winter, awaiting spring.
Old 11-06-2015, 09:02 PM
JD Shredds
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts

Yesterday I had a pair of moments in my C4 that put a smile on my face.

First off was in my neighborhood when I drove down a long road and a boy of about 12 was walking home with his backpack and he basically stopped in his tracks, dropped his jaw and spun around with the car as I drove by. I glanced in the mirror and he was still looking over his shoulder with that "whoa" look. That put the biggest smile on my face because 20 years ago I WAS that kid. And its why I drive this car today. Not all kids care about these things, so when I see the ones who do I know a budding enthusiast is on the horizon.

Less than an hour later I stopped in a shopping parking lot and a guy of roughly 50 B-lined for me and the Vette as enthusiastic as one could be. "Is that a 91, 92, 93?!" "94!" Then he went on how of all the Vettes, this gen is the one he wants to drive the most and how he drives its little sibling ('87 IROC). Touched on how C4's are under-appreciated and he said, "I mean, just look!" as he pointed to mine.

That's one of the things I love about Corvettes in general. They really do transcend generations. So often it gets you as a kid (as it did with me) and it never goes away. Brings that child-like enthusiasm right back at any age.
Old 11-07-2015, 07:38 AM
1stVetteFinally
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Callaway Chris
As many know, with my job, I get to drive some of the latest and greatest Corvettes. In fact, recently, the Callaway SC627 Stingray and Callaway SC757 Z06 have taken the Corvette enthusiast market by storm. That said, I have been known to wear my feelings for the C4 on my sleeve.

I've owned four of them, and still have three. So I'd say there aren't many more dedicated to the C4 than myself. In my spare time, I've gotten to know the details of the 1984-1996 Corvette, inside and out, top to bottom. As a Certification and Survivor Judge, along with duties as Division Director, for the Bloomington Gold Corvette Event for more than a decade, it's been a labor of love.

Anyways, out in my C4, I went for a quick drive and found myself grabbing lunch at a Chick-Fil-a drive through. The manager, who kept eyeing the car, blurted, "I absolutely love your car, it is so gorgeous!" She asked a few additional things about the car, and was clearly smitten over the machine.

Now, backing-up a Chick-fil-a at lunch rush might be close to a cardinal sin, but she risked it to share the love of the car. Pretty cool.

I've been around enough to know the C4 had been overlooked with newer, faster, sleeker, and now edgier designed Corvettes, but it's cool to get some love for the car from strangers. I personally love the ones of the 1984-1990 Corvettes, especially, and find the 1989 to be my favorite year for a multitude of reasons.

So, what's your story on the love for the C4?
I get that all the time, and my Vette is not in pristine condition, but it can shine like a diamond in a goats *** when it's clean.

Latest instance I got like that, I was at this guy's house with a few friends. One of my friends asked me if I still had the Vette (I wasn't driving it this day). I said yes, I still have it. It's at home right now. Another guy (that hadn't seen my Vette before) asked me what year I had. I said it's just a "regular" '92 coupe. (Here is where the actual instance happens) When I said that, the dude whose house we were at, who is a real DB, looked at me and said "Yeah, but it's a really clean car. Your car really looks good man". This coming from a guy that barely ever gives compliments and is generally a 24/7 A--hole.

I generally get at least a head nod or a thumbs up, if not an actual verbal compliment 8 out of 10 times that I drive it. People here in SE Virginia seem to really love the C4.

Old 11-07-2015, 08:32 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Elba Mike
Everyone is aware of, and understand, that. It's not meant to be a get out of jail card. It could be a sworn officer, a family member, or a private citizen showing support for Law Enforcement Officers.

Your original response seemed more anti-cop than anti bumper sticker, If I misunderstood your true intent, I apologize
I object to ALL stickers. I only object to bad cops and those who defend them. So definitely more anti-sticker.
Old 11-07-2015, 08:49 AM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 06_LT1
First, the backstory. My mom - technically a stepmother, but the woman who raised me - was brought up by Depression parents, and dreamed for as long as she could remember about owning a Corvette. When my family moved to CA from PA, we were flat-*** broke, but after a decade of hard work, my parents' business started to prosper. Mom eventually got a used Jag, and then she had a sweet Camaro, and she had a Mustang in there somewhere, but she still longed for the Corvette.

In 1996, my Dad went to the Chevy dealership and purchased her the car of her dreams - a white Corvette (C4 LT1).

Mom loved her Corvette - there wasn't a person in town who had not seen the old lady with curly gray hair bombing around town in her white Corvette. She loved that car until the day she died.

That Corvette is now my Corvette, and every time I drive it, I feel like Mom's riding shotgun, and she's probably a little pissed that I keep turning off ASR. It's in near-new condition, with about 30K miles on it (yeah, thirty, NOT three hundred). I'll keep it until the day I die. When I took possession of it about 8 years ago, it had a massive 18,600 miles on it...she managed to pile on a massive 1,700 miles a year over those 11 years.

Now, one cool story: There are several. My C4 has no resonator and no mufflers - just a chambered exhaust. At Starbucks not that long ago, the 20ish girl working the window said she LOVED how the car sounded and asked me to make some noise, and I was happy to oblige...the chambered exhaust sounds amazing. I'm 90% sure that - if I wasn't happily married for 20+ years - she would have happily jumped into the passenger seat for some mischief.

Although I've done a few things to the car - the exhaust, a D44 3.73 swap, line locks for burnouts at the drag strip once or twice a year - it's still bone-stock as far as appearance. Makes me smile every time I walk through the garage and see "Mom's" car sitting there, always ready to head out for an adventure.

Cool stories. Thank you for sharing them

I drove another one of my C4s yesterday, which I don't think my one kid had ridden in, for years. Anyways, she asked if it was faster than the one we drove the day before... I said it was... She said, "well, let's see"
Old 11-07-2015, 10:11 AM
jehuds10
Race Director

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by hcbph
What's not to love about the C4's? It was the machine that brought more innovations to the Corvette than any previous model IMO. It's not loaded up to the point you need $20K of test equipment to figure out you're out of gas, you can still work on it yourself.

It looks good and drives great.

Amen!
Old 11-10-2015, 04:50 PM
Daniel_Mc
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

As many know, with my job, I get to drive some of the latest and greatest Corvettes. In fact, recently, the Callaway SC627 Stingray and Callaway SC757 Z06 have taken the Corvette enthusiast market by storm. That said, I have been known to wear my feelings for the C4 on my sleeve.

I've owned four of them, and still have three. So I'd say there aren't many more dedicated to the C4 than myself. In my spare time, I've gotten to know the details of the 1984-1996 Corvette, inside and out, top to bottom. As a Certification and Survivor Judge, along with duties as Division Director, for the Bloomington Gold Corvette Event for more than a decade, it's been a labor of love.

Anyways, out in my C4, I went for a quick drive and found myself grabbing lunch at a Chick-Fil-a drive through. The manager, who kept eyeing the car, blurted, "I absolutely love your car, it is so gorgeous!" She asked a few additional things about the car, and was clearly smitten over the machine.

Now, backing-up a Chick-fil-a at lunch rush might be close to a cardinal sin, but she risked it to share the love of the car. Pretty cool.

I've been around enough to know the C4 had been overlooked with newer, faster, sleeker, and now edgier designed Corvettes, but it's cool to get some love for the car from strangers. I personally love the ones of the 1984-1990 Corvettes, especially, and find the 1989 to be my favorite year for a multitude of reasons.

Chris,
Let me start by saying you have “the job”! However I am right there with you. I am a car nut, doesn’t matter what make or model, I just love cars. When it comes to my personal garage it’s the C4 Corvette. We have had 6 of them and still currently have 4. As of now 2 89 ZF6, FX3, Z51 coupes a 91 ZR and a 96 GS however my absolute favorites are the 89’s. I like the pre facelift body, concave bumper, round lights and digi dash. The ZF6 with the L98 combined with the early dash make it such a unique year. The 89, to me, is just the most fun to drive and my favorite of the C4’s. At this point they are not the fastest, the most expensive, or even flashy but boy are they fun to drive. To me that is what it is all about, the drive. The newer platforms are much faster, better ride, and more refined however when I drive them they are all missing something to me. They just do not give me that driving enjoyment that the C4 does; it is almost as if I am disconnected in the newer generations. I guess with all the ninnies that the newer cars have it tends to disconnect the driver from the driving experience. Not really sure… Maybe that is it maybe it is not.... Anyway I agree with you. The C4 was such a unique and special time in GM and the Corvette hobby from the early racers that dominated in SCCA competition, to the B2K’s, to Challenge Corvettes, the ZR-1’s, R9G’s, and lots of other special models. All the racing accomplishments and what all came about really helped move the corvette hobby into a new generation of owners. It was the right people and the right car together at the right time. Also I must say the C4 owners are a great group of owners in and of themselves. It is a good group to be a part of.

Now… What are you doing eating in your car!!!!!!!!

-Daniel
Old 11-10-2015, 06:25 PM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

Daniel,

I promise, I did not open the bag until home. No eating in the car

And I agree, 1989 Corvettes are in my opinion, the best C4 of them all. Especially the RPO B2K cars
Old 12-10-2015, 10:13 PM
djpatrick35
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

I grew up with my dad's '84 in the garage and we went to every Corvette show in that car. Our family vacations were trips to the Assembly Plant (before there was a museum) and we went to Bloomington Gold, Funfest and Indycar races.

So, thanks to that car, I would always love C4s, but there were two models in particular that truly captured my heart - the ZR-1 and Callaway Speedster.

I remember watching Motorweek and wanting a ZR-1 as a 9 year old. The next year, I saw a green Callaway Speedster and wanted an Aerobody Callaway.

When I bought my first car, I always promised myself it would be a Corvette. Sure enough, it was. It was a 1988 35th Anniversary Edition. I worked two jobs for that car - my day job as a newspaper reporter and my night job as a club bouncer. A few years later, I managed to achieve one of those childhood dream cars by getting a C4 ZR-1. It revved to the moon and I loved having an 18-year old car that was faster than a majority of the cars currently on the market. That car was amazing.

Sadly, I wouldn't have that Z for long. While I still had a 2007 C6 convertible, that Z was my preffered Vette.

This year, I finally obtained a Callaway Corvette with my fantastic 2015 SC627, but my heart lies with an Aerobody C4. So when the C7 Callaway is paid off, I will have the best of both worlds and get either a CR-1 (Callaway ZR-1) or just build my best representation of one by getting another ZR-1, taking it to Lingenfelter for some extra power and putting an Aerobody on it.

Last edited by djpatrick35; 12-10-2015 at 10:42 PM.
Old 12-11-2015, 12:03 PM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

I've been around enough to know the C4 had been overlooked with newer, faster, sleeker, and now edgier designed Corvettes, but it's cool to get some love for the car from strangers..

C4 styling is so clean and understated compared to other cars; its timeless

Get notified of new replies

To Well, this was nice and complimentary... And in a C4...

Old 12-11-2015, 12:45 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

Originally Posted by mtwoolford
C4 styling is so clean and understated compared to other cars; its timeless
i agree the body is timeless.
the wheels and dash are not though.

but the wheels if changed to say, c6 wheels ( ) then the entire exterior looks like amazballs. ha. just my opinion.

the interior dash imo is fun, different, yes looks retro, but has all futureistic functionality not found on many cars today. i dont feel like im giving anything up in my 87 interior.

people who see my dash think its a benefit not a detriment.

but the 80's rims were always thought of by others (and me) as a detriment bigtime.

problem solved!!

Old 12-11-2015, 02:25 PM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
i agree the body is timeless.
the wheels and dash are not though.

but the wheels if changed to say, c6 wheels ( ) then the entire exterior looks like amazballs. ha. just my opinion.
Old 12-11-2015, 03:14 PM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by djpatrick35
I grew up with my dad's '84 in the garage and we went to every Corvette show in that car. Our family vacations were trips to the Assembly Plant (before there was a museum) and we went to Bloomington Gold, Funfest and Indycar races.

So, thanks to that car, I would always love C4s, but there were two models in particular that truly captured my heart - the ZR-1 and Callaway Speedster.

I remember watching Motorweek and wanting a ZR-1 as a 9 year old. The next year, I saw a green Callaway Speedster and wanted an Aerobody Callaway.

When I bought my first car, I always promised myself it would be a Corvette. Sure enough, it was. It was a 1988 35th Anniversary Edition. I worked two jobs for that car - my day job as a newspaper reporter and my night job as a club bouncer. A few years later, I managed to achieve one of those childhood dream cars by getting a C4 ZR-1. It revved to the moon and I loved having an 18-year old car that was faster than a majority of the cars currently on the market. That car was amazing.

Sadly, I wouldn't have that Z for long. While I still had a 2007 C6 convertible, that Z was my preffered Vette.

This year, I finally obtained a Callaway Corvette with my fantastic 2015 SC627, but my heart lies with an Aerobody C4. So when the C7 Callaway is paid off, I will have the best of both worlds and get either a CR-1 (Callaway ZR-1) or just build my best representation of one by getting another ZR-1, taking it to Lingenfelter for some extra power and putting an Aerobody on it.

There is a red CR-1 for sale w/ AeroBody, etc.

Quick Reply: Well, this was nice and complimentary... And in a C4...