Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Optis may not be so bad after-all (?)

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 10:19 PM
don hall
Safety Car

Received 218 Likes on 172 Posts

Default Optis may not be so bad after-all (?)

Having owned a '93 ruby vert for 12 years, and a '92
dark red metallic coupe for 3 years, I feel qualified to express my opinion on our beloved opti ( C4 '92-'96).

After perusing the C7 forums, including the ZO6, out of curiosity and envy, I realize our opti may not be the bane of the C4.

Having seen a crystal red, supercharged C7 up close,
and performing auto-x, I was very enthralled. What a beautiful car. That was the source of my envy. I knew at 83+, I was never going to own a $100K+ vette, but I could read about them, and look at photos.

C7 forum threads educated me on the failures of a $100K+ Corvette. Without the benefit of C7 owners documenting their C7 problems on the forum, one would never know about the C7.

My '93 opti failed at 35K miles, and was replaced by a dealer = expensive. The opti lasted another 10K miles before I sold my '93. My '92 opti was replaced at 65K miles by the second owner = cost of NOS opti. Taken out of storage after a year for sale, the '92 opti failed after 1.6K miles. '92 now has an AIP opti installed by a local shop for $300 labor (opti furnished).

In summary, drove the '93 for 12 years/45K miles -replaced 1 opti. Have driven the '92 for 3 years/2K miles - replaced 1 opti. Some optis have lasted 100K+ miles according to forum posts.

When compared to the C7 failures, although most failures are under warranty, our opti pales in comparison to C7 replacement costs.

As a side note, my neighbor has a 1972 Ferrari 365 Daytona. Some say it is one of the most beautiful cars ever produced. I was able to compare my '93 ruby vette to the '73 Ferrari 365 on a daily basis.

Without prejudice, I vote for the '92-'96 C4, with full understanding that the vette has the benefit of 20 years of modern styling.

Yes, I understand the Dayton value is $600K+, and the '92-'96 Corvette value is $8K+.

My vette provides with me with much satisfaction.
Although in-and-out is a chore, once in, and the Corsas start 'barking'.....'heaven'.

Last edited by don hall; 11-08-2015 at 10:50 PM.
Old 11-08-2015, 11:13 PM
gdl2165
Pro

Received 116 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by seabright
My vette provides with me with much satisfaction.
Although in-and-out is a chore, once in, and the Corsas start 'barking'.....'heaven'.
And that's what it's all about in my opinion. You can't beat the C4 for sheer bang-for-the-buck.

I tend to agree with you on the opti, I think they really get more of a bum rap than they deserve, particularly the later ones that came vented from the factory. Mine had over 130,000 miles on it when I installed my cam last year. I decided to put in a new AIP unit while I had it apart "just because". Ran like crap with the new one so I ended up using the new cap and rotor and just put my OE one back in. It had no corrosion or any signs of other problems so I say the venting works. I'm over 135,000 miles now and running strong.

Love your car by the way with those wheels. It's unusual to see anyone go with anything other than stock or the 5-spoke style.
The following users liked this post:
don hall (11-08-2015)
Old 11-09-2015, 02:05 AM
bob arrowsmith
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Default wheels `

I like the wheels I have a 96 and would like to know where you got your wheels and do they have a deep dish for the backs ,,,thanks
don hall (11-09-2015)
Old 11-09-2015, 10:19 AM
don hall
Safety Car

Received 218 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by bob arrowsmith
I like the wheels I have a 96 and would like to know where you got your wheels and do they have a deep dish for the backs ,,,thanks
Thank you for the wheel compliment, bob arrowsmith.

The wheels are made by CRAY: http://www.craycorvettewheels.com

My specific wheels:
http://www.craycorvettewheels.com/co...ls-rims-manta/

The wheels have an inside deep-dish:

Last edited by don hall; 11-09-2015 at 01:43 PM.
Old 11-09-2015, 10:40 PM
rsc337
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I had 125k on my 92 Opti when I replaced it along with new seals and a water pump. It was still working great but I didn't trust it with that many miles so I replaced it with a Duralast and it's been working great also. When I put in the new water pump I made a drain for the bottom drain hole so it doesn't spray any water on the Opti. The Duralast has a lifetime warranty and I still have my good working Original that I could put back on with a new cap. Good luck.
don hall (11-09-2015)

Get notified of new replies

To Optis may not be so bad after-all (?)

Quick Reply: Optis may not be so bad after-all (?)