C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

'96 Vette as a first car

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 04:00 PM
patriotpa
Melting Slicks

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by softwarejanitor
I disagree. When we coddle the young we don't let them make the mistakes that they learn from. We are interfering with evolution and in the bigger picture (think not within the mere limited terms of our lifetimes which are statistically insignificant) I think that has the danger of dooming mankind.

As has been said, a Corvette, especially one as mild as most stock C4s, isn't that irrational or irresponsible other than perhaps the insurance cost. But beyond that as I've said, if he is reponsible and meant to survive, he probably will. If he does something and kills himself in a car, which he could in any car and I'd say not necessarily any more likelty in a C4 than a lot of other cars you'd probably not argue about, then perhaps that's what is supposed to happen.

...then, by that "logic" he needs a used Veyron, and all pilots should start out flying a Citation X.
The following users liked this post:
Rikmann (11-22-2015)
Old 11-21-2015, 04:12 PM
MavsAK
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by patriotpa
...then, by that "logic" he needs a used Veyron, and all pilots should start out flying a Citation X.

What about "The C4 is a Dog compared to modern cars" don't you understand?

We aren't talking about a C6, C7, Hellcat, or modern performance car.
We're talking about an aged sports car, which is only as quick as a modern sedan, but has the benefits of vastly better handling than most.

Have you driven a car built in the last 5 years? Ten? The C4 ain't fast man, no matter how hard you want to think otherwise. The only Fast C4s out there, have been modified at this point.

C4s aren't fast. A teenager is going to drive the car the way they are going to drive it regardless of if it's a C4, 2015 Camry, late model pickup (also a dog).

A C4 is hardly a Veyron..it's not even a Camaro SS.
There's kids I wouldn't trust with a VW Beetle, and there's others that I'd trust with a Veyron long before I would most adults.

It just depends on the kid in question.

Last edited by MavsAK; 11-21-2015 at 04:13 PM.
Rikmann (11-22-2015)
Old 11-21-2015, 04:22 PM
Christi@n
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by MavsAK
What about "The C4 is a Dog compared to modern cars" don't you understand?

We're talking about an aged sports car, which is only as quick as a modern sedan, but has the benefits of vastly better handling than most.

Have you driven a car built in the last 5 years? Ten? The C4 ain't fast man, no matter how hard you want to think otherwise. The only Fast C4s out there, have been modified at this point.

C4s aren't fast. A teenager is going to drive the car the way they are going to drive it regardless of if it's a C4, 2015 Camry, late model pickup (also a dog).

A C4 is hardly a Veyron..it's not even a Camaro SS.
There's kids I wouldn't trust with a VW Beetle, and there's others that I'd trust with a Veyron long before I would most adults.

My 1995 lt1 hit 0-60 in 5sec it is full oem, and don't think that is not fast, when i push on throttle she kick me in the ***, against the seat
Rikmann (11-22-2015)
Old 11-21-2015, 04:29 PM
MavsAK
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Christi@n
My 1995 lt1 hit 0-60 in 5sec it is full oem, and don't think that is not fast, when i push on throttle she kick me in the ***, against the seat
0-60 in 5 seconds is not fast for a modern car man. Seriously. A freaking Camry pulls to 60 in the 5s these days.

"kicking hard in the seat" Isn't impressive. That's Seat of the pants, and torque. That has nothing to do with the car's performance other than how it Feels.

They run in the low 14s and high 13s out of the box.

That's C4 territory.
You do realize new base corvettes bang out 60 in under 4 seconds right?

That Camaros are well into the MID 4 seconds?

5.3 to 5.6 seconds, to 60 mph, just isn't fast anymore, period.
That's why mine isn't stock.
Rikmann (11-22-2015)
Old 11-21-2015, 04:29 PM
Christi@n
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rikmann
I am a junior in high school and I am wondering if a 1996 Corvette is a good idea. I am also wondering if it is possible to fit a C7 steering wheel and keep the airbag features. Are there any things I should know about either question, I just can't stand those early 90's steering wheels.
I would avoid a vette as first car, you need to get some experience before, i would stay on car with less power but is just my opinion.
Rikmann (11-22-2015)
Old 11-21-2015, 04:30 PM
patriotpa
Melting Slicks

What about "The C4 is a Dog compared to modern cars" don't you understand? NOTHING

Have you driven a car built in the last 5 years?YES Ten?YES The C4 ain't fast man, no matter how hard you want to think otherwise. The only Fast C4s out there, have been modified at this point.

C4s aren't fast. No, but it's a sports car, and will be driven as such. Kids (and some adults on this forum) will have to push the envelope. I'd rather the kid get some experience walking before he flies. A teenager is going to drive the car the way they are going to drive it regardless of if it's a C4, 2015 Camry, late model pickup (also a dog). Agreed. With a LACK OF EXPERIENCE.

A C4 is hardly a Veyron..it's not even a Camaro SS.Ever hear of comparison by analogy? It's used in normal discussions.

Let's see what he ends up with and how long before the 1st crash and/or fatality.

Last edited by patriotpa; 11-21-2015 at 04:30 PM.
Rikmann (11-22-2015)
Old 11-21-2015, 04:31 PM
Christi@n
Drifting

0-60 in 5 seconds is not fast for a modern car man. Seriously. A freaking Camry pulls to 60 in the 5s these days.

"kicking hard in the seat" Isn't impressive. That's Seat of the pants, and torque. That has nothing to do with the car's performance other than how it Feels.

They run in the low 14s and high 13s out of the box.

That's C4 territory.
You do realize new base corvettes bang out 60 in under 4 seconds right?

That Camaros are well into the MID 4 seconds?

5.3 to 5.6 seconds, to 60 mph, just isn't fast anymore, period.
That's why mine isn't stock.
I'm getting what are you saying that's right.. But what i would say to the guy that would get vette as first car, is to purchase a car that make 0-60 in 10 seconds or more.

As far as vette make 0-60 in 5 seconds instead 2,9 she is however a supercar, powerfull, fast, and IMO she requires a little bit experience to drive it

Last edited by Christi@n; 11-21-2015 at 04:33 PM.
Rikmann (11-22-2015)
Old 11-21-2015, 04:36 PM
Brackneyc
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am sure there are many current family cars which can keep up with, or go faster than a c4. The issue is that not every idiot with a driver license wants to test the guy driving the Accord.

Guys who drive vettes know what this means.
Rikmann (11-22-2015)
Old 11-21-2015, 04:40 PM
MavsAK
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by patriotpa
Let's see what he ends up with and how long before the 1st crash and/or fatality.
Do you really think kids, care about what the car is, if they're going to push the envelope? If what the car was, really mattered then no kid would have wrecked their VW Beetles with their thundering 60 hp, 90s sedans, 00s sedans, 2010+ sedans, ever. Guess what? It doesn't take a genius to find wrecked sedans and utterly slow cars, all day and night long that were driven by teenagers.

Just what in the hell is he going to drive "before he flies"? when a FREAKING CAMRY, ACCORD, or ALTIMA, is as fast as a C4? Hell there's TRUCKS these days that are as fast as an 84 model C4, or faster.

If a kid is the type to drive dangerously, they're going to whether it's a VW Beetle, or sports car.

"He needs experience!" you say? With what exactly? An Average Every Day Car, is just as fast.
The only reason the C4 doesn't make a good first car, or good first only car, is maintenance. It takes either a good disposable income, to pay mechanics to maintain one (and there's quite a few shops that turn them away the second they see them, or hear about anything "complicated" that needs worked on), or decent wrench skills, and a still decent disposable income, to buy parts.

And then your car is down while you are waiting on parts to come in the mail.

THAT is why an old Corvette isn't a good first car. Not because it's "Some really fast car!" Because it isn't.

And that's ok. The newest C4 made is 19 years old.
Rikmann (11-22-2015)
Old 11-21-2015, 04:44 PM
patriotpa
Melting Slicks

This is the Internet. Therefore, since it's an important contest to you....you win.
Rikmann (11-22-2015)
Old 11-21-2015, 04:45 PM
MavsAK
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Brackneyc
I am sure there are many current family cars which can keep up with, or go faster than a c4. The issue is that not every idiot with a driver license wants to test the guy driving the Accord.

I don't really have that problem. Most people that "test" other drivers, also will test your other ride too, just as often. With the C4, I worry more about the car being vandalized by some jackass who has a case of envy. (and I have fallen victim to this with TWO different sports cars. One was the C4, and another was my Firebird. I had someone key my freaking leather seats when I left the top down while parked at a grocery store with the vette, and someone slash a tire in the firebird when it was parked in the drive way at my house...and I live in the freaking country)

I get people that drive like jackasses, just as often in my C4 as I do my truck, where they drive like 10 under the speedlimit, then try to race you when you go around them in the passing zone.
Rikmann (11-22-2015)
Old 11-21-2015, 04:52 PM
Christi@n
Drifting

It is just my opinion

I would never give a Mustang to inexperienced horseman.
Same way i wouldn't give a Vette to an inexperienced driver.

Would stay with something less nervous
Rikmann (11-22-2015)
Old 11-21-2015, 05:06 PM
Christi@n
Drifting

Originally Posted by pologreen1
Location matters. A 96 is 300-330hp stock. It's a lot but nothing crazy. I was in school when vipers came out and a kid got to drive the Zr1 and viper, he also owned a camaro back then. Use your brain and respect it. The steering wheel is a $50 grant away.

There are commuter cars that are 300hp now. It's about condition and location.
My first car was 40 hp
Rikmann (11-22-2015)
Old 11-21-2015, 05:27 PM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts

Originally Posted by Brackneyc
The issue is that not every idiot with a driver license wants to test the guy driving the Accord.

I drive a Vette. I've been tested exactly once, and it was in jest (the dude was driving an old pickup). Even if I wanted to race people on the street all the time, nobody will. So I guess I don't know what you mean.
Rikmann (11-22-2015)
Old 11-21-2015, 10:31 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

If a kid is the type to drive dangerously, they're going to whether it's a VW Beetle, or sports car.
This is really the crux of this whole thread. It's been stated already, but it's true, and it's the bottom line. How do I know? My first car was a Trans Am. Never had any kind of accident in that car, drove it 100,000 miles (year round in New England, to boot), had it ~5 years. Proper responsibility, and proper driving training was what made it work just fine for this guy...with a "death wish".
Rikmann (11-22-2015)
Old 11-22-2015, 01:25 AM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 206 Posts

OK, guys, I think you scared him off.
Rikmann (11-22-2015)
Old 11-22-2015, 06:20 AM
Christi@n
Drifting

Originally Posted by DinoBob
was not my intent. Just ensure that he has logical thought, thinking with head instead than heart.

IMO if you had to get vette at all costs, the best advice i can give you, is to promise yourself to go on track every time you want to deeply push on throttle d

Last edited by Christi@n; 11-22-2015 at 06:20 AM.
Rikmann (11-22-2015)

Get notified of new replies

To '96 Vette as a first car

Old 11-22-2015, 08:50 PM
Rikmann
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DinoBob
It's not that, I just don't have the time to reply to every single comment.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:19 PM
Rikmann
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Karvette
What does this have to do with the original post? NOTHING

This thread has 73 replies to a post by a 23 year old {as per his profile} that says he is a junior in high school and has not replied to it in the last 2 pages. Let this thread die.

Could this have been started by a TROLL?
No, I put a different age so I would be able to post. I haven't posted due to constraints in time.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:22 PM
Brackneyc
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MatthewMiller
I drive a Vette. I've been tested exactly once, and it was in jest (the dude was driving an old pickup). Even if I wanted to race people on the street all the time, nobody will. So I guess I don't know what you mean.

Maybe it only happens in c-5s, or in my area.

I routinely took my c-5 on 500-1000 mile road trips. I have seen it more than a few times, and not from guys in old pick up trucks.

Last edited by Brackneyc; 11-22-2015 at 09:25 PM.

Quick Reply: '96 Vette as a first car