C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

'96 Vette as a first car

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 05:23 PM
Rikmann
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '96 Vette as a first car

I am a junior in high school and I am wondering if a 1996 Corvette is a good idea. I am also wondering if it is possible to fit a C7 steering wheel and keep the airbag features. Are there any things I should know about either question, I just can't stand those early 90's steering wheels.
Old 11-14-2015, 05:38 PM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

Received 144 Likes on 136 Posts

I don't think driving a corvette as a daily driver is a good idea, keep it as more of a weekend car so you don't get bored of it or to used to enjoying it. I just graduated high school a couple months ago. There is plenty of fun more reliable cars (Not that a 96 vette isn't reliable) I would just pick something else and buy a corvette in a couple years as a second car, just my two cents. People are gonna wanna see the condition and pics of the corvette and offer advice. I'd recommend you take it, the people on this forum (not me) know what they're talking about and are very knowledgeable. Welcome to the forum!
The following users liked this post:
Rikmann (11-14-2015)
Old 11-14-2015, 05:42 PM
Rikmann
Cruising

Originally Posted by BrandensBeast
I don't think driving a corvette as a daily driver is a good idea, keep it as more of a weekend car so you don't get bored of it or to used to enjoying it. I just graduated high school a couple months ago. There is plenty of fun more reliable cars (Not that a 96 vette isn't reliable) I would just pick something else and buy a corvette in a couple years as a second car, just my two cents. People are gonna wanna see the condition and pics of the corvette and offer advice. I'd recommend you take it, the people on this forum (not me) know what they're talking about and are very knowledgeable. Welcome to the forum!
What are some other reasons that prevent the C4 from being a daily driver, they're relatively cheap and they look badass.
Old 11-14-2015, 05:47 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

my 94 has been a great daily driver. just becareful a lot of power and the rear end can get away from you. a lot more fun than a honda and good gas milage if you keep your foot out of it.

Last edited by antfarmer2; 11-14-2015 at 05:49 PM.
Rikmann (11-14-2015)
Old 11-14-2015, 05:48 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Many people will say there is no way a high school student should own a Corvette. I say that life is too short not to. Go for it! Now - if you ever get snowy of icy roads you will need an alternate way of getting around as the rear wheel drive cars with wide tires are not the best choice
I doubt that a C7 steering wheel will fit. But, do a search for a Corvette salvage yard and ask them. They should know.
Go to www.redlinegoods.com and take a look at their C4 steering wheel covers. My old 91 is in their ad pic. They do real nice work and come up with any color combo you can think up.
Good luck!
The following 2 users liked this post by corvetteronw:
1993C4LT1 (11-15-2015), Rikmann (11-14-2015)
Old 11-14-2015, 05:50 PM
Rikmann
Cruising

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
my 94 has been a great daily driver. just becareful a lot of power and the rear end can get away from you.
Thanks for the info! Are matinence costs and insurance manageable? What would you advise one who wishes to own a c4 to do?
Old 11-14-2015, 05:55 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

if the car was taken care of they can be great if not can be a money pit talk to your ins first.

look in the for sale section in here.

Last edited by antfarmer2; 11-14-2015 at 05:57 PM.
Rikmann (11-14-2015)
Old 11-14-2015, 06:00 PM
Rikmann
Cruising

Originally Posted by corvetteronw
Many people will say there is no way a high school student should own a Corvette. I say that life is too short not to. Go for it! Now - if you ever get snowy of icy roads you will need an alternate way of getting around as the rear wheel drive cars with wide tires are not the best choice
I doubt that a C7 steering wheel will fit. But, do a search for a Corvette salvage yard and ask them. They should know.
Go to www.redlinegoods.com and take a look at their C4 steering wheel covers. My old 91 is in their ad pic. They do real nice work and come up with any color combo you can think up.
Good luck!
I want a nice steering wheel that looks modern but still fits with the car. I also need a wheel that has an airbag.
Old 11-14-2015, 06:02 PM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

Insurance in YOUR name would be an absolute joke, for me I just turned 18 yesterday but the quote when I was 17 was 2600 for 6 months, under your parents name if you register it as a classic is penny's compared to that.
Rikmann (11-14-2015)
Old 11-14-2015, 06:07 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Originally Posted by Rikmann
I want a nice steering wheel that looks modern but still fits with the car. I also need a wheel that has an airbag.
save your money and look out the windshield.
Rikmann (11-14-2015)
Old 11-14-2015, 06:08 PM
patriotpa
Melting Slicks

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Let me tell you a story...

In the late 70's a kid I went to high school with, Nathan DeStefano, crashed his brand new 'Vette Mommy and Daddy bought him. He killed himself with it BEFORE his high school graduation.

I went to high school with him in Altoona, PA.

You need EXPERIENCE for a high performance car. Learn to walk before you fly so you don't kill yourself.... or someone else.
Rikmann (11-14-2015)
Old 11-14-2015, 06:33 PM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by patriotpa

In the late 70's a kid I went to high school with, Nathan DeStefano, crashed his brand new 'Vette Mommy and Daddy bought him. He killed himself with it BEFORE his high school graduation.

You need EXPERIENCE for a high performance car. Learn to walk before you fly so you don't kill yourself.... or someone else.
Much agreed, take it easy. I drive a truck that's slow as a snail compared to some friends cars, the vette is faster then all of them and I have yet to drive it.
Rikmann (11-14-2015)
Old 11-14-2015, 06:45 PM
Rikmann
Cruising

Originally Posted by patriotpa

I know that that car is fast, there's no way in hell that I would drive it in an unsafe manner.
Old 11-14-2015, 06:47 PM
patriotpa
Melting Slicks

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Rikmann
I know that that car is fast, there's no way in hell that I would drive it in an unsafe manner.
Yeah. Uh-huh. We all said that. I'm glad my 1st car was so slow it couldn't get out of it's own way. I still drove it like I stole it, flew off hills, ridiculous speeds, etc. A 'Vette would have been a VERY bad idea.
Rikmann (11-14-2015)
Old 11-14-2015, 06:54 PM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

A useful video you should watch! Shows how easy you can get in trouble with a vette or any fast car for that matter.
The following 2 users liked this post by BrandensBeast:
laboss1 (11-18-2015), Rikmann (11-14-2015)
Old 11-14-2015, 06:57 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Location matters. A 96 is 300-330hp stock. It's a lot but nothing crazy. I was in school when vipers came out and a kid got to drive the Zr1 and viper, he also owned a camaro back then. Use your brain and respect it. The steering wheel is a $50 grant away.

There are commuter cars that are 300hp now. It's about condition and location.

Last edited by pologreen1; 11-14-2015 at 06:59 PM.
Rikmann (11-14-2015)
Old 11-14-2015, 10:51 PM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

For a first car a corvette has one huge advantage, it can only hold the driver and one passenger. Can't think of any others.
Rikmann (11-14-2015)

Get notified of new replies

To '96 Vette as a first car

Old 11-14-2015, 10:52 PM
DATeem
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Maintenance is maintenance on any car but...Most of us cannot resist adding, beefing up or tricking out our cars-especially a first car and the corvette certainly is not the cheapest to add to or repair. It is also kind of a pain to work on compared to many other domestic or imports. Consider cost of tires (probably double what you might pay for a Toyota or other common vehicle) as well as wheels or exhaust etc.

Insurance is probably going to be VERY expensive-even if you are on your parents policy. Even the most responsible young person has a driving learning curve and is most at risk the first couple of years driving.

Another factor you might consider is a good/bad thing and that is how the crowd you hang with will react. Good might be the attention you would get but that could also be kind of a pain. How many buddies are going to want to drive it, to ride it and maybe pressure you to drive at times or in a manner that you might not if alone. The corvette is also not the most practical for giving rides, hanging with friends etc. There is something to be said for a sedan or coupe with more doors and versatility for every day use.

I have had more than my share of cars over the years and am glad I waited a bit to own the corvette. I was also a cop for thirty plus years and now sell auto insurance. Some of the best young guys I have known made some of the dumbest mistakes and pushed their limits one time too many. For the ton of money you will spend on insurance you could save a couple of years and get a nicer and better equipped corvette.

But...if you can afford it, go in with eyes open and take it easy, then what the heck. One way or the other your first car will probably be one of your most memorable. The corvette might be a better second or third car to look forward to after you have had a chance to gain experience. Then again, I was one of those young but mostly responsible guys that pushed the limits, crashed a few cars, had a few close calls and spent a ton of money on cars. Good luck.

Last edited by DATeem; 11-14-2015 at 10:59 PM.
Rikmann (11-14-2015)
Old 11-14-2015, 11:26 PM
trilkb
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Get a fbody....you will want the back seat. Probably lower insurance too, plus they are alot more fun for burnouts and donuts, the corvettes weight ratio and wider rear tires tend to make it harder to mess around in i've found. 2nd gear punches from 25-30mph in a lt1 fbody will light the tires up, in a vette you just go. Just remember when they regain traction its violent and you often get shot the way the wheel is pointing. You could get a ls1 fbody for the price of a clean 96 corvette.

I pretty much daily drive my 95 6 speed though. It has its good and bad parts. I am glad I have a 2nd car though for the days when I dont want to drive it doing errands and such.

Last edited by trilkb; 11-14-2015 at 11:32 PM.
Old 11-14-2015, 11:41 PM
Rikmann
Cruising

Originally Posted by trilkb
Get a fbody....you will want the back seat. Probably lower insurance too, plus they are alot more fun for burnouts and donuts, the corvettes weight ratio and wider rear tires tend to make it harder to mess around in i've found. 2nd gear punches from 25-30mph in a lt1 fbody will light the tires up, in a vette you just go. Just remember when they regain traction its violent and you often get shot the way the wheel is pointing. You could get a ls1 fbody for the price of a clean 96 corvette.

I pretty much daily drive my 95 6 speed though. It has its good and bad parts. I am glad I have a 2nd car though for the days when I dont want to drive it doing errands and such.
I'm not planning to do burnouts in the Corvette, I am mostly drawn to the car because it looks/is badass, it is fast, cheap, and can/will earn street credit. It also has show AND go.The main purpose of the car is to daily it.

Last edited by Rikmann; 11-14-2015 at 11:41 PM. Reason: comma instead of period

Quick Reply: '96 Vette as a first car