C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Mods hurt resell?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 01:15 PM
GRKLGHTNG
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TorchTarga94
Tastefully done mods won't hurt a C4's value, but it won't help it either.

If I was C4 Shopping today and saw one with a hurst short throw, corsa exhaust, and a-molds, I would prefer it to a completely stock car with a whispering exhaust and cheesy sawblades.
Completely agreed! There's only a hand full of C4's out there that are really holding their value, and/or may have a chance of appreciating in the future. These are the cars that if modified would probably hurt their value. I have a '96 w/ just shy of 25k mi, a really nice car, has it's value bottomed out yet, not sure. We all have to keep things in perspective, the Corvette was designed, and built, to be a high performance sports car. As such, it's designed to be able to take a certain amount of occasional abuse. They aren't made of glass (ok, technically fiberglass reinforced plastic), so with the proper maintenance, they'll be able to take what is dished out to them. Bottom line, we're not talking about, low production C1's or C2's. IMHO, doing certain simple modifications, that could be viewed as universally acceptable, should not adversely affect resale value in and of themselves. HAPPY THANKSGIVING FOLKS!
Old 11-26-2015, 01:42 PM
GRKLGHTNG
Instructor

Originally Posted by TA

Unfortunately, this is the case. I probably would have sold my 91 years ago, but its worth far more to me than it is to anyone else.
Well said! Love your avatar, RIP Tony Soprano/James Gandolfini.
Old 11-26-2015, 01:52 PM
GRKLGHTNG
Instructor

Originally Posted by FOURSPEEDVETTE
Isn't it funny how people who do all the modifications or buy it that way feel his is the best and most valuable C4, and the guy who keeps his all stock and in great condition makes the same claims. This argument can go on forever. The fact is, if the owner likes and enjoys the one he has, it's worth far more to him than anyone else. People who cry here every time they get a chance to about how worthless C4's are or compare them to something as pathetic as a Honda Civic should probably move on to another interest in cars. No real C4 Corvette enthusiast really cares about it's value, high or low. We'll still keep them for what they are. America's true sportscar.
Old 11-28-2015, 07:41 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Radio, Tremec transmission plus brakes (drilled and slotted rotors with ceramic pads) were done to my 86 before I bought it. I paid nothing extra for these items in my purchase price. These weren't a deal breaker to me as they were all reversible. Had there been body or sufficiently significant mods done to the car, it's unlikely I'd have gone for it.

IMO it all depends on what was done and if it's reversible or not if desired.

Quick Reply: Mods hurt resell?