Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Who else is fed up with their C4?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 08:03 PM
Klondike
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

Default Who else is fed up with their C4?

96 LT4. The most beautiful POS I've ever owned.
Cost more in maintenance than any other three cars I've ever owned and has spent more time on a lift, jack stand or just laying dead in the garage than it has on the road. I'm ready to part the damn thing out but my wife won't let me. If I knew I could get enough money from a video of a maniac in full rage, I'd beat that miserable bastard into sand on camera !
That makes me feel much better now. Have a nice day.
Old 12-04-2015, 08:06 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

drag it up here i'll take it.,,..,whats wrong bunkie?
Old 12-04-2015, 08:29 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Sorry to hear your having issues, Hopefully they are all behind you now. If its not your DD step away for a bit than decide what to do. Cars are like a women some good some great some not worth a crap and never will be.....

Last edited by FASTAZU; 12-04-2015 at 08:29 PM.
Old 12-04-2015, 08:40 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

We have all been there a time or two, just take a break and have a beer or ten. Give the girl a break, she is almost 20.
Old 12-04-2015, 08:44 PM
Klondike
Race Director

Broke down since 4th of July. Injectors pouring full flood. Pulled injector fuses and did fuel pump pressure test & it held 40+ lb. for over 2 days.
1. MAP sensor Ok
2. Mass air checks Ok
3. New temp sensor & harness
4. New Opti (what I thought it was to begin with)
5. Checked every ground I can find + tracing through the wiring harness. No joy.
Went sour while driving & had to be trucked home 300 mi. I've been under the hood till I'm going freakin' nuts. The only thing I can think of is maybe the computer had a stroke and went brain dead.
Old 12-04-2015, 08:47 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Klondike
Broke down since 4th of July. Injectors pouring full flood. Pulled injector fuses and did fuel pump pressure test & it held 40+ lb. for over 2 days.
1. MAP sensor Ok
2. Mass air checks Ok
3. New temp sensor & harness
4. New Opti (what I thought it was to begin with)
5. Checked every ground I can find + tracing through the wiring harness. No joy.
Went sour while driving & had to be trucked home 300 mi. I've been under the hood till I'm going freakin' nuts. The only thing I can think of is maybe the computer had a stroke and went brain dead.
I assume ALL injectors are dumping fuel? How did you confirm this?

Have you put a noid light or a test light on the injector connectors? Do they pulse? Or on solid?

Is the fuel pressure regulator broke? If that diaphragm goes bad it will DUMP raw fuel into the intake. Remove vacuum hose and see if it is wet.
Old 12-04-2015, 09:02 PM
Klondike
Race Director

Forgot, replaced Fuel pressure Reg too, just to make sure. Can't confirm all injectors are wide open because I can't keep it running long enough. Raw fuel out the exhaust and so much, it's going past the rings into the oil.(changed that too). I'm going to see if the computer has gone nuts. Got a friend with an LT4 that I can put my computer in and see if it will run in that car.
Old 12-04-2015, 09:13 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I think I may have mentioned this to you before, but if you have a scanner with real time data check the coolant temp with the engine running. I had the exact same fueling issue on my 95 Impala SS and the coolant sensor was reading -40, which sent the computer into wacko mode. I know you changed the sensor and harness already, but humor me. I also had the hot dying problem that the ICM mod seemed to have solved. Now if I could only find the miss all would be good. How about you come and beat up mine, and I will go beat up yours ?
Old 12-04-2015, 09:14 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

might be better to put his in yours so you don't gas up his oil
Old 12-04-2015, 09:36 PM
Whiteonrice
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

With my 95 roadster it seems there's always something. Thankfully I don't have to depend on it as I have a few alternatives. I had a Polo green LT4 coupe previously that really was the worst car I ever owned.

Good luck hope you figure it out or you can always sell tickets to the video I'd be in.
Old 12-04-2015, 09:50 PM
Klondike
Race Director

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
might be better to put his in yours so you don't gas up his oil
I'd know quick enough if it starts and runs at all. Code reader is useless if it won't run long enough to tell me anything. I checked grounds to the computer and all the harness leads I could, before I went brain dead and blind from counting harness pin to computer holes. Finding NOTHING out of normal. The only thing I haven't done in the last couple of months is plug everything back in and see if it runs. That would just **** me off more and still not tell me what was wrong in the first place. It would also make me Leary of taking it on the road for risk of it happening again.
I work on it till I get frustrated and pissed and then it takes me a few days before I can even look at it taking up space in my garage.
These computer run cars have so many interconnected links that finding the one little missing piece of the puzzle is hell on me.
Fuel, Air, Spark, timing....I mean, how simple could it be?
I used to be able to fix ANYTHING. USAF Radar, Guitar amps, credit card machines and any kind of engine was a snap. But this thing has really crushed my confidence. Everything seems to be as it should be, but it still has a problem.
Old 12-04-2015, 09:58 PM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

If the key was on and engine not running and you had steady injector flow, (noid light), then there is a short in the wiring harness. You can either hunt down the short or replace the harness. If it is only a steady flow when it is running, or a very high pulse when running, then a problem with the computer or one of the sensor/sensor inputs.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:54 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

my wife won't let me[/I]

The following users liked this post:
Jon Hekking (12-04-2015)
Old 12-05-2015, 12:09 AM
Klondike
Race Director

Originally Posted by DanielRicany
If the key was on and engine not running and you had steady injector flow, (noid light), then there is a short in the wiring harness. You can either hunt down the short or replace the harness. If it is only a steady flow when it is running, or a very high pulse when running, then a problem with the computer or one of the sensor/sensor inputs.
I've replaced the Temperature sensor and its harness too, because I had trouble with that connector before. Checked all the injector grounds back to the PCM RED connector plug, and they are all OK. Going to get back into the rest of the sensor to PCM harness next week when after a little down time to look through the wiring diagrams again.
I'm checking with a couple of shops next week to see if they can test the computer out of the car (cause mine just refuses to run) and I'm also testing it in a friends LT4. I'm going to do a computer swap to see if the problem goes with the computer or stays with my car.
This weekend though, I'm going up to a friends ranch with my guns and shoot the **** out of some stuff just to get frustrations out.
Old 12-05-2015, 12:23 AM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

This weekend though, I'm going up to a friends ranch with my guns and shoot the **** out of some stuff just to get frustrations out.
Gee. I hope the Corvette doesn't end up being some of that "stuff".
Old 12-05-2015, 01:30 AM
CRUZN C4
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I've owned my 90 going on six years with no end in sight. I'm finally got quite a bit of issues addressed, however there's a few spots that are showing their age and they're no biggie because I will be addressing them soon. One of the few here that love my C4.
Old 12-05-2015, 01:43 AM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts

I actually enjoy working on my c4 as much as driving it. So that probably helps

Get notified of new replies

To Who else is fed up with their C4?

Old 12-05-2015, 09:23 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

I've replaced the Temperature sensor and its harness too, because I had trouble with that connector before. Checked all the injector grounds back to the PCM RED connector plug, and they are all OK. Going to get back into the rest of the sensor to PCM harness next week when after a little down time to look through the wiring diagrams again.
I'm checking with a couple of shops next week to see if they can test the computer out of the car (cause mine just refuses to run) and I'm also testing it in a friends LT4. I'm going to do a computer swap to see if the problem goes with the computer or stays with my car.
when you pulled the fuse it would hold pressure. if you plug it back does it leak? if so trace the wires from the fuse to the injectors. might have a mouse playing with you.
Old 12-05-2015, 10:26 AM
skullandbones
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

After your computer experiment (great idea), you really need to take it to a reputable shop if it is not fixed. You can have an adulterated file (fuel table) or something similar that would have you chasing your tail looking for mechanical fixes for a while. If you really enjoy the chase then go slow and be able to walk away and go shooting! I understand your frustration though. I was stuck in the mountains with a broken car with electrical problem. Had to have it towed 250 miles and then put on another trailer and towed the rest of the way home.

I was expecting to see a list of 20 or so things that you hated about your C4 but it sounds like you just have one persistent issue. The down side is you don't have it running so that can jack up your bill at the shop.

Good luck,

WEK.
Old 12-05-2015, 10:37 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Was many many many times, why I dont own em anymore
Still admire from a distance thats about it.

If it werent for the web and forums no way could I have kept em going
TOoooo many problem$ (all gens.....read C7 tech sometimes wow)

Hope you get your sorted or sold soon!

Will never understand it...have had some not so nice chevelles, camaros caminos, workvans (all old chevys) that would go forEVER without touching them but the Vettes...maybe thats why, when I was a teen ya never saw the old guys not driving them much over 35. They knew a little something about these cars.

Last edited by cv67; 12-05-2015 at 10:39 AM.

Quick Reply: Who else is fed up with their C4?