C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

5 Reasons Why The C4 Corvette Is Worth It

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 07:56 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
I REALLY REALLY like the photo-effect on this picture! Saved it to my PC -- it's so good!

I agree: Nice, VERY nice piece of photo editing - to an already beautiful car. But, if it were me, I'd "shop" that big harry arm out of the picture!

Jess tweekin' PLRX a leetle...
The following users liked this post:
PLRX (01-21-2016)
Old 01-21-2016, 09:34 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by MavsAK
What more do you need?

She's easily modified carrying the most mass produced engine of all time (The Gen 1 SBC), with the widest aftermarket imaginable for speed parts.

It just needs more pep, but otherwise drives like a modern sports car.

I've been an F Body, and Corvette guy since I could remember.
What has need got to do with anything? You don't need any Vette. You WANT it.

Not true. I am considering an LS swap simply because I find it harder and harder to get someone to tune the "old stuff". I can get an LS tune much easier than an L98 or even LT1.

It's an acceptable starting platform.

Biggest mistake I did was to buy a 91 F-body brand new. If I had any smarts back then in my early 20s, I'd have gone to auto classes and did my own maintenance instead of relying on a warranty that was getting more and more voided after you screw with the car. Not that it is GM's fault for not standing behind your screwing with it. When my F-body got smashed, I transplanted the motor and trans to a 91 Vette since that was the last year of the L98s and I had an L98 that was pushing 400HP
Old 01-21-2016, 10:28 AM
MavsAK
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
What has need got to do with anything? You don't need any Vette. You WANT it.

Not true. I am considering an LS swap simply because I find it harder and harder to get someone to tune the "old stuff". I can get an LS tune much easier than an L98 or even LT1.

It's an acceptable starting platform.

Biggest mistake I did was to buy a 91 F-body brand new. If I had any smarts back then in my early 20s, I'd have gone to auto classes and did my own maintenance instead of relying on a warranty that was getting more and more voided after you screw with the car. Not that it is GM's fault for not standing behind your screwing with it. When my F-body got smashed, I transplanted the motor and trans to a 91 Vette since that was the last year of the L98s and I had an L98 that was pushing 400HP
They make plenty of EFI upgrades computer wise for the SBC (not the LT1..cause no one wants to fool with making ECMs JUST for the Optispark.).

Holley, FIRST, FAST, and quite a few others, make ECMs that will easily control a fuel injected gen 1 engine. Many of them are even self tuning, and are damn near plug and play.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:36 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MavsAK
They make plenty of EFI upgrades computer wise for the SBC (not the LT1..cause no one wants to fool with making ECMs JUST for the Optispark.).

Holley, FIRST, FAST, and quite a few others, make ECMs that will easily control a fuel injected gen 1 engine. Many of them are even self tuning, and are damn near plug and play.
My issue is when I talk to shops, less and less of them want to tune the "Old Stuff". I am not totally certain as to whether self tuning is going to be as good as a skilled tuner on a dyno. I accept it is "good enough" for most people but I tend to be more nit-picky which is why I want to dyno tune. That is about the reason why I am even considering an LS swap for the day when the engine breaks and nobody with a dyno wants to write programs for that "Old Stuff". Over the years, I see less people doing L98 tuning as opposed to the newer systems.

How adaptable are those systems and are they popular for tuners? I definitely will not tune my own but self tuning is ok to get me to the tuner which is why I ask if they will tune those systems or will they reject the assignment? Sure, we can build anything but if nobody wants to tune it, either you DIY or be willing to accept a self tuning option and wonder if the manufactur back pedaled a little off the top in cases of liability. I saw my tuner do it, tested, re-did it, tested till it started to fall off then he went to the previous tune and worked the rest of the curve and then re-test.
Old 01-21-2016, 12:27 PM
aquablue95
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
I REALLY REALLY like the photo-effect on this picture! Saved it to my PC -- it's so good!

I think your thumbs-up needs to have one comin' right back at ya!!!

that is an awesome pic !!
Old 01-21-2016, 03:41 PM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts

If your wanting to go with an aftermarket computer I would use the megasquirt if it was me.

http://www.diyautotune.com/tech_arti...t1_lt4_l99.htm

Ive messed with several holley setups of late helping others and I do not care for them personally.

I was looking at putting a turbo on the Miata I bought my wife and ran across this :

After watching that I really want to get a chance to fool with one now. Seems like a nice setup.
Old 01-22-2016, 05:26 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

This should get your C4 hearts pumpin!

H P Bushrod (01-22-2016)
Old 01-22-2016, 01:47 PM
L98Justin
Pro

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

WOW, Bruce "Caitlyn" Jenner drove in the Corvette challenge???? You learn something new every day
Old 01-22-2016, 01:58 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by L98Justin
WOW, Bruce "Caitlyn" Jenner drove in the Corvette challenge???? You learn something new every day
He is modified as are many of our cars
Old 01-22-2016, 02:33 PM
ColaBear
Burning Brakes

Received 150 Likes on 119 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalis4

He is modified as are many of our cars
Just the opposite I would think, you want to more ball’s in your race car while he is removing his.
Old 01-22-2016, 02:56 PM
L98Justin
Pro

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by ColaBear
Just the opposite I would think, you want to more ball’s in your race car while he is removing his.
Old 01-22-2016, 06:22 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

He turned in his man card, couldn't handle the Thunder of a Corvette.
Old 01-22-2016, 08:19 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 93Rubie
He turned in his man card, couldn't handle the Thunder of a Corvette.
It was a tragic mistake of nature. He was a woman trapped in a man's body. But now that is changed and he is a woman in a woman's body.

So..... How indecent would the proposal have to be to get any guy here to spend a night with Kaitlyn Jenner? IMO, it would be easier to find him a guy to make a lady out of him than to find a guy to spend a night with such a FUGLY woman.
Old 01-22-2016, 08:56 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts

I think his oldest daughter is kinda hot.
Old 01-22-2016, 11:32 PM
TexasRaider
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, now that is some profound thread drift right there....
95tealconvert (01-23-2016)
Old 01-23-2016, 07:17 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 1993C4LT1
I think his oldest daughter is kinda hot.
Assuming she did not follow in Daddy's footsteps? Or does it not matter either way to you?
Old 01-23-2016, 06:45 PM
95tealconvert
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 69 Posts

It was a tragic mistake of nature. He was a woman trapped in a man's body. But now that is changed and he is a woman in a woman's body.

So..... How indecent would the proposal have to be to get any guy here to spend a night with Kaitlyn Jenner? IMO, it would be easier to find him a guy to make a lady out of him than to find a guy to spend a night with such a FUGLY woman.
What does this have to do with the thread? If I wanted to discuss Jenner I would look elsewhere as I thought we were talking about 5 reasons to own a C4 vette.

Get notified of new replies

To 5 Reasons Why The C4 Corvette Is Worth It

Old 01-23-2016, 07:23 PM
JD Shredds
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts

Lmao. How we got to this point... Ive no clue.
Old 01-23-2016, 07:44 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JD Shredds
Lmao. How we got to this point... Ive no clue.
Many own cars as like Vettes for sex appeal. How many get off on others telling them how good the cars look?
Old 01-25-2016, 04:45 PM
MavsAK
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

My issue is when I talk to shops, less and less of them want to tune the "Old Stuff". I am not totally certain as to whether self tuning is going to be as good as a skilled tuner on a dyno. I accept it is "good enough" for most people but I tend to be more nit-picky which is why I want to dyno tune. That is about the reason why I am even considering an LS swap for the day when the engine breaks and nobody with a dyno wants to write programs for that "Old Stuff". Over the years, I see less people doing L98 tuning as opposed to the newer systems.

How adaptable are those systems and are they popular for tuners? I definitely will not tune my own but self tuning is ok to get me to the tuner which is why I ask if they will tune those systems or will they reject the assignment? Sure, we can build anything but if nobody wants to tune it, either you DIY or be willing to accept a self tuning option and wonder if the manufactur back pedaled a little off the top in cases of liability. I saw my tuner do it, tested, re-did it, tested till it started to fall off then he went to the previous tune and worked the rest of the curve and then re-test.
EZ EFI, and the various other big name systems, are pretty widely supported. 24xx uses the LS ECM, which pretty much says it all on their support.

Most of the modern systems, can get pretty close to a dyno tune on their own, with little more than some basic inputs. Many of which already have baseline programs they change on the fly from my understanding.

They probably leave room on the table, but it's going to be vastly better than a stock tune trying to run a cam, stroker, heads etc etc etc, that's for sure.

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/...g-efi-systems/

From the article
Anyone who thinks self-learning EFI is only viable for weenie-spec engine combos needs to think again. During the R&D process, FAST engineers tested a Chevrolet Performance 572 crate motor on the dyno using the XFI system, and extracted 630 hp from the big-block after two hours of tuning. After swapping it out for the EZ-EFI system, the self-learning ECU netted the same 630 hp in just two dyno pulls. "To tune the EZ-EFI system, all you have to do is drive the car. I can't explain it any simpler," says Brian Reese of FAST.

Last edited by MavsAK; 01-25-2016 at 04:48 PM.

Quick Reply: 5 Reasons Why The C4 Corvette Is Worth It