Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Anyody Remember The Old GM Van Nuys Camaro Plant?

Old 04-04-2017, 02:00 PM
Nokones
CF Senior Member

Location: Almost moved from Plumas Lake CA and almost moved to Litchfield Park AZ

California has decriminalized crime over the last few years. Possession of Meth is a ticket and and there is no jail time for property and theft crimes, just cross-of-gold speech. Nobody goes to jail anymore. The cops don't even bother with these crimes anymore because nothing is done anymore.

Please, don't get me started about peoples' behavior problems and lack of respect of others in public and the driving in regards to safety and the law.

Its gotta be the drugs.
Old 04-05-2017, 02:08 AM
LouisvilleLT4
CF Senior Member

Oh really Nokones? You must visit California a lot to have gathered all that information. Did you have any photos from your trip?
Old 04-05-2017, 08:34 AM
Renfield
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Nokones View Post
All the people with a honest income are leaving the state and taking their money with them. Everything either has a enormous regulation fee or is being taxed to death. Now, marijuana is taking over along with a lot of people sponging off of society. Nobody in California contributes to society they just sponge off of public assistance. Either they are a care taker for their sick grandma with a toe nail ache or they have this make up disability so they don't have to work and collect a public assistance pay check and sit home some their dope. California is becoming a waste land of a bunch of society deviates.
You're going to need a lot of cheese with all that whine. Maybe you should move to Kansas.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:23 AM
Nokones
CF Senior Member

Location: Almost moved from Plumas Lake CA and almost moved to Litchfield Park AZ

Originally Posted by LouisvilleLT4 View Post
Oh really Nokones? You must visit California a lot to have gathered all that information. Did you have any photos from your trip?
Yes, I visit California quite abit. There are a few days a year I don't visit California. Sorry, no pictures. Maybe on my next visit.

Last edited by Nokones; 04-05-2017 at 09:31 AM.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:25 AM
Nokones
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Renfield View Post
You're going to need a lot of cheese with all that whine. Maybe you should move to Kansas.
No whine for me so I don't need the cheese. Just stating the facts ma'am.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:26 PM
ghoastrider1
CF Senior Member

As a over the road tractor trailer driver, I can say something needs to be done about the air in The LA valley. As you descend the pass into LA, you can see a huge grey cloud over the city/valley. As you get lower, your eyes start and you can smell the bad air. Not blaming the factories, its many things. Its a great looking city and after a good rain, looks even better. Weather is wonderful. Traffic is crazy busy. You might be surprised at all the automotive loads I took out of Larado headed to Detroit or the east coast. Hopefully, the factories in St. Louis and other places continue to stay where they are. The cost of moving to mexico may save companies money but in the long run are costing American workers to much.

Last edited by ghoastrider1; 04-05-2017 at 12:27 PM.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:58 AM
Renfield
CF Senior Member

No whine for me so I don't need the cheese. Just stating the facts ma'am.
Well precisely none of your so-called facts were in evidence on my last visit to SoCal. Pretty sure friends and family would've updated me on your fantasy land vision.

Really Kansas needs you. Brownback has a tax cut just for you. Do California the favor of leaving.
Old 04-06-2017, 12:19 PM
Nokones
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Renfield View Post
Well precisely none of your so-called facts were in evidence on my last visit to SoCal. Pretty sure friends and family would've updated me on your fantasy land vision.

Really Kansas needs you. Brownback has a tax cut just for you. Do California the favor of leaving.
Ooooh Ok, you "visited" California. Well, now I understand.

I'm sure Kansas would gladly welcome me.

You're not picking on Kansas are you? There is nothing wrong with Kansas.
Old 04-06-2017, 02:51 PM
Renfield
CF Senior Member

Ooooh Ok, you "visited" California. Well, now I understand.

I'm sure Kansas would gladly welcome me.

You're not picking on Kansas are you? There is nothing wrong with Kansas.
Nothing wrong with Kansas? How would you know? Did you visit?

Like I said, go to Kansas. Put California out of your misery. Or vice-verse.

You deserve Kansas.
Old 04-06-2017, 06:05 PM
mike100
CF Senior Member

I special ordered my 92 1LE in late '91 to be delivered here in San Diego Co. It only took 5 weeks and the car was getting PDI'd at the dealership before i was ready to make the down payment.

Last edited by mike100; 04-06-2017 at 06:08 PM.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:20 PM
the kid C6
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs View Post
A lady acquaintance of mine had an 86 Firebird. She worked in the plant in administration. She was good looking, had big *****, and the workers liked it when she came out in the plant. They knew her. She bought her Firebird through the channels for employee orders, knew her VIN and scheduled build date. When her car was built, she followed it along taking pictures. The workers KNEW who's car they were building. And it was still a total POS. Stuff fell off. Trim didn't fit. Lots of stuff just quit working. She sold it two years later and got a Honda Civic. She was still there when the plant closed, but I don't know what she did afterwards.
You don't think that may have had something to do with the bad construction?
Old 01-19-2018, 01:48 AM
kendogtallant

[QUOTE=C4.Ray;1591450249]Today, I was reading about the huge Van Nuys GM Plant in Van Nuys, Calif. This mega factory plant made all the Camaros and Firebirds up to about 1993. Beginning in 1940. Was wondering if any of you guys knew the Plant personally, and what it was like? Why did the plant shut down? Today, it's a chessy shopping center. Did GM lease the land or sell it outright to a developer? This was huge financial blow to the San Fernando Valleys. Today all of Van Nuys is mostly a Mexican city in America, if you did not know. Where did all those factory workers go? Did they stay in the Valley?

What an interesting history it is ....[/QUO
I retired from the Van Nuys plant what would like to know. Kenneth
Old 01-19-2018, 01:49 AM
kendogtallant

I retired from the Van NUYS Plant
Old 01-19-2018, 03:49 AM
*89x2*
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by mike100 View Post
I special ordered my 92 1LE in late '91 to be delivered here in San Diego Co. It only took 5 weeks and the car was getting PDI'd at the dealership before i was ready to make the down payment.

There was a thread over on the third gen f body site looking to document the 1LE Heritage Z cars, recently. Maybe you are already on that site, too and saw the thread. It's pretty neat.

Also, there was a thread on Norwood, and maybe some Van Nuys pics, too. One or two posters worked there and provided some detailed info.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:36 PM
TBSS/85vette
CF Senior Member

In 1982 I bought a brand new Camaro Z28 and brought it by my moms house on the way home. My brother opened and closed the passenger door and the complete side mirror fell off and broke on the ground. Over the next 12 months the car continued to fall apart until it mercifully got totaled by a drunk driver. This thread explains some things to me.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:44 AM
cuisinartvette
CF Senior Member

Thanked 1,074 Times in 986 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

union costs, drugs alcohol were a problem in the plant theres your qc problem, knew a few that worked there
Grew up in the sfv that place is a chithole getting out of ca soon as I can raise a few bux. Its little mexico; a true santuary state pretty much ruined.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:57 AM
Renfield
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by TBSS/85vette View Post
In 1982 I bought a brand new Camaro Z28 and brought it by my moms house on the way home. My brother opened and closed the passenger door and the complete side mirror fell off and broke on the ground. Over the next 12 months the car continued to fall apart until it mercifully got totaled by a drunk driver. This thread explains some things to me.
Most on this forum seem to think GM is beyond reproach and that there has never been an automobile manufacturer better.

Prepare yourself for a flood of excuse makers.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:52 PM
JrRifleCoach
CF Senior Member

Location: Criminals obey guns laws like politicians follow their oath to office Republik of Kalifornico"
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette View Post
Its little mexico; a true santuary state pretty much ruined.

Makes this look better and better every day

Except I'd go with a different name for liberal kali. Leave "California" to those that still live the dream.

Last edited by JrRifleCoach; 01-22-2018 at 03:55 PM.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:09 AM
abe soto

Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs View Post
I recall Van Nuys was #36 of 36 GM assembly plants for quality. Dead last. It showed in the product, too.

A lady acquaintance of mine had an 86 Firebird. She worked in the plant in administration. She was good looking, had big *****, and the workers liked it when she came out in the plant. They knew her. She bought her Firebird through the channels for employee orders, knew her VIN and scheduled build date. When her car was built, she followed it along taking pictures. The workers KNEW who's car they were building. And it was still a total POS. Stuff fell off. Trim didn't fit. Lots of stuff just quit working. She sold it two years later and got a Honda Civic. She was still there when the plant closed, but I don't know what she did afterwards.
what the hell does her big ***** have to do w anything?
Old 01-30-2019, 10:00 PM
larryinalabama
CF Senior Member

I grew up in that area. All i remember is California was constantly fining the plant for pollution problems and Japanese cars were perceived as better cars so not many really cared about the plant. The workers also had a bad reputation, which wasn't totally unfounded.

The plant didn't really seem to be a big deal but like Bush Gardens many of us were sad to see that area come to a end.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyody Remember The Old GM Van Nuys Camaro Plant?

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: