Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Anyody Remember The Old GM Van Nuys Camaro Plant?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 12:07 PM
FresnoVette
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by abe soto
what the hell does her big ***** have to do w anything?
Apparently you're neither a car guy or a male.
Old 01-31-2019, 01:10 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

Distraction to the workers,,,, equals poor quality maybe.... (*)(*)
Old 01-31-2019, 05:14 PM
vette196
Melting Slicks

Received 262 Likes on 206 Posts

She was well like throughout the plant. I'm sure good looking/big *****/**** had something to do with it
Old 02-06-2019, 08:59 AM
tx75vette
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had several 3rd gen camaros and firebirds and do not recall the quality being any worse than any other GM car.
These cars generally get driven hard with no maintenance or up keep.
What I read is the plant shut down because of California's high pollution standards.
Old 04-28-2019, 05:27 PM
VegaNova
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Happened to see this while doing some googling and don't see a lot of clear definitive answers about why the Van Nuys plant shutdown. This is probably because there isn't a single clear reason for the shutdown which most people hanker for but isn't realistic.
One reason,low quality, which some here have given is a major one though. The Plant was notorious for poor QC throughout; in fact, one guy I used work with had a Firebird made there and he always made a point to tell to never buy a 'f****g Firebird or Camaro from that f*****g plant'. His dad had a Camaro from the same vintage and after he drove it for 150 miles, the center console and glove box fell apart; then the drivers side windows broke, the a/c failed, and the brake lights started blinking intermittently. All fresh stuff from the factory. Another thing was that when he brought the Firebird into the dealer for maintenance, the mechanics would find weird crap floating around in the car like extra bolts, candy wrappers, even a magazine once. Or stuff that wasn't fastened down tightly or missing nuts. So there were definitely QC issues there.
IMHO, it was a plant among many in the Big 3 that was vulnerable to shutdown for many small to medium reasons which coalesce into 1 big failure. As a California plant specifically in the San Fernando Valley, the air quality issue was important to note. Since the SFV is basically a large basin where pollution can easily collect into and concentrate, any major industrial plant was subject to investigation. Not only did the paint fumes from the Plant become a big issue but some of the industrial water waste was an issue. In fact, most of the aviation industrial base in the SFV eventually suffered because of the same issue when the inhabitants found out that aerospace shops like Lockheed were dumping industrial water straight into the watershed resulting in a huge amount of stuff like Chromium-6 pluming into the drinking water supply.
But, probably, the biggest factor was the utter failure of GM management and UAW management and their corresponding workforces to actually come to grips with overseas competition. The fact that NUMMI was a gamechanger in production methodology but not accepted by GM and the UAW as a serious competitor to the way they had done thing traditionally was a major factor to the shutdown. If you get a chance, you should read up on how NUMMI was "implemented" by GM and how all the players did or didn't use NUMMI effectively. That GM (and the rest of the Big 3 with 40% plus marketshare) went from almost 50% market share for GM alone in the '60s to going bankrupt in 2009 should tell you something. People who want to bs you about California over-regulations, blah, blah, really have no idea of what they're talking about. They're only invested in grinding their own bs; not trying to answer your question.
Old 04-28-2019, 06:12 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

They need to bring that place back vs making them overseas
Old 06-24-2019, 10:38 PM
Robert Bowers
2nd Gear

My Firebird Esprit was built there in 1979
Old 06-24-2019, 10:49 PM
Robert Bowers
2nd Gear

Interesting...I ordered my 79 Firebird and it was delivered June 23 of that year. I was only 21 and the first car I bought myself. It was in terrible shape. The paint was scratched requiring repaint. The hood was so misaligned the windshield wipers stopped the first day I drove it. The rear window wasn't properly sealed and leaked. The door Pwr window wouldn't work if it was damp weather. The alternator wires were constantly coming loose causing starting problems. The carb had a terrible hesitation that remained until years later I had it rebuilt. The Dealer was awful and would fix nothing. Remember I was only 21 with no experience. But I loved the car..and would have never bought a competing Mustang in 79. Just marked it up to experience and the reason there are no Firebirds or American cars anymore...
Old 06-25-2019, 07:57 PM
PacerX
Burning Brakes

Received 354 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Bowers
Interesting...I ordered my 79 Firebird and it was delivered June 23 of that year. I was only 21 and the first car I bought myself. It was in terrible shape. The paint was scratched requiring repaint. The hood was so misaligned the windshield wipers stopped the first day I drove it. The rear window wasn't properly sealed and leaked. The door Pwr window wouldn't work if it was damp weather. The alternator wires were constantly coming loose causing starting problems. The carb had a terrible hesitation that remained until years later I had it rebuilt. The Dealer was awful and would fix nothing. Remember I was only 21 with no experience. But I loved the car..and would have never bought a competing Mustang in 79. Just marked it up to experience and the reason there are no Firebirds or American cars anymore...

No American cars? Cars in general have taken it on the chin in the sales department. Everybody wants minivans... which are called "SUV's" for some reason nowadays.

The quality perception thing is a real problem, and it hasn't been licked yet. My Cadillacs and Camaro convertible have (all 5) been really, really, REALLY good. Even the Deville with the dreaded NorthStar (to be clear, pre-2005 cars definitely have a serious problem).

Last edited by PacerX; 06-25-2019 at 09:43 PM.
Old 06-27-2019, 03:08 PM
toddbvanslyke
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

While interesting, what does this have to do with Corvettes?
Old 06-30-2019, 02:21 PM
*89x2*
Team Owner

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,075 Posts

My F Body was made at VAN. I've had two now from that plant. Both were fine cars.
Old 06-08-2021, 12:31 PM
John M. Goodman III
1st Gear

Default Seriously doubt reason given for plant closure. All parts were shipped in by rail. F

[QUOTE=chiefttp;1594442087]Someone asked why the plant closed?, here's your answer.....California Liberals

"Production moved to Sainte-Thérèse Assembly in Quebec due to air quality remediation efforts."[/QUOT

E]
Old 06-08-2021, 06:40 PM
Nokones
Drifting

Received 231 Likes on 158 Posts

My 1990 Camaro 1LE was made at the Van Nuys Plant. I believe General Motors pulled/closed all their facilities in California. The Fremont assembly line was closed back in the 70s or early 80s, The South Gate facility, not sure if the South Gate was an assembly or just an administrative facility and I think it is gone, and the I believe the Delco Battery plant in Anaheim is gone. I use to play my Little League games at the Little League field at Delco the Battery Plant next to the Santa Ana Freeway.

I'm sure some of you are wondering what does the Van Nuys Plant have to do with Corvettes, well some of the 3rd Gen. Camaros had some Corvette parts assembled on the Camaros at the plant. So, I believe that will have some nexus for the discussion.
Old 06-11-2021, 12:05 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Grew up not far from there. Many took buyouts for their jobs when it went to canada...lots of issues with drugs/booze
Van nuys is a chithole has been for many yrs;moved out in '14

Quick Reply: Anyody Remember The Old GM Van Nuys Camaro Plant?