Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Anyody Remember The Old GM Van Nuys Camaro Plant?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 03:58 AM
C4.Ray
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Anyody Remember The Old GM Van Nuys Camaro Plant?

Today, I was reading about the huge Van Nuys GM Plant in Van Nuys, Calif. This mega factory plant made all the Camaros and Firebirds up to about 1993. Beginning in 1940. Was wondering if any of you guys knew the Plant personally, and what it was like? Why did the plant shut down? Today, it's a chessy shopping center. Did GM lease the land or sell it outright to a developer? This was huge financial blow to the San Fernando Valleys. Today all of Van Nuys is mostly a Mexican city in America, if you did not know. Where did all those factory workers go? Did they stay in the Valley?

What an interesting history it is ....

Last edited by C4.Ray; 02-01-2016 at 04:01 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Cosi Lane Preston (01-26-2022)
Old 02-01-2016, 04:43 AM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts

Van Nuys Assembly was a General Motors automobile factory in Van Nuys, California. The plant opened in 1947 producing Chevrolet Advance Design trucks. Later it would produce several different models including Chevrolet full-size (Caprice, Impala, etc.), Chevrolet Corvair, Chevrolet Greenbrier, Chevrolet Chevelle, Chevrolet Nova/Buick Apollo/Oldsmobile Omega/Pontiac Ventura, and Chevrolet Camaro/Pontiac Firebird. It also produced the Chevrolet Monte Carlo and the Buick Skylark. The plant was closed in 1992 when Camaro/Firebird production moved to Sainte-Thérèse Assembly in Quebec due to air quality remediation efforts.

Sign for the commercial complex
The site was razed in 1998. A retail and industrial complex, known as The Plant, resulted on the 68-acre (28 ha) site, as well as Station 81 of the Los Angeles Fire Department. The retail portion totals 365,000 square feet (33,900 m2) and is home to 35 retail stores and restaurants. A 16-screen movie theater honors the site history with an automotive theme décor. GM continues to operate a car-testing facility on 27 acres (11 ha) next to The Plant.
Attached Images       
the kid C6 (04-01-2017)
Old 02-01-2016, 07:54 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

the camaro went to Canada. and a big bunch of the workers came to Texas to build the caprice. it looked like little Mexico moving in. music in the plant went from country to salsa. then bigger radios came in. it got very heated then the plant made the rule you could not plug in your radio. then every one gave up batterys cost to much. once it calmed down. you could buy some good Mexican food untill the food vendor in the plant complained and the plant shut them down. the older workers rode the job bank in Cali untill they could retirer.
The following 2 users liked this post by antfarmer2:
Cosi Lane Preston (01-26-2022), the kid C6 (04-01-2017)
Old 02-01-2016, 08:46 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by C4.Ray
Today, I was reading about the huge Van Nuys GM Plant in Van Nuys, Calif. This mega factory plant made all the Camaros and Firebirds up to about 1993. Beginning in 1940. Was wondering if any of you guys knew the Plant personally, and what it was like? Why did the plant shut down? Today, it's a chessy shopping center. Did GM lease the land or sell it outright to a developer? This was huge financial blow to the San Fernando Valleys. Today all of Van Nuys is mostly a Mexican city in America, if you did not know. Where did all those factory workers go? Did they stay in the Valley?

What an interesting history it is ....
I photographed the entire assembly line when I was on staff at the L.A. Daily News in the mid 80's. It was a full page photo story. We were headquartered in Van Nuys at the time. Yea, great mexican food!

It was dark, filthy, nasty stuff in there. Nothing at all like the line at the BMW facility here in SC (which I photographed for BMW).

What happened was well documented in a film called "Roger and Me." That was about Flint, MI, but the story is the same.
The following 2 users liked this post by Renfield:
Cosi Lane Preston (01-26-2022), the kid C6 (04-01-2017)
Old 04-01-2017, 01:52 AM
Cosi Lane Preston
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I Remember the Old GM Van Nuys Camaro Plant Very Well

I hired in on April 13, 1976, at the GM Van Nuys Plant located in Van Nuys, CA, at the young age of 19. I was one of very few women in the body shop where my first job was spotwelding rocker panels on the Chevy Nova and Buick Skylark. I had replaced another gal who could not learn the job within the required time of three days. I worked on the main frame while cars were on car trucks and cars were held together by bars until welded together. No one can ever tell me that I don't know what hard work really is. I met my husband there who went through two plant closures, the Van Nuys Plant in 1992, and then his relocated plant in Muncie, Indiana, Delco Remy Battery Plant. He retired at 30 years seniority from Bedford Foundry in 2004. He began his GM career in Santa Fe Springs, CA, at GM Parts Warehouse, where when laid-off, began at the GM Van Nuys Plant.
I ended my five-year GM Van Nuys Plant employment in 1981 when I was on a lengthy layoff and opted for the TRA College Retraining where I attended Los Angeles Valley College and stdied Executive Secretarial Procedures. I would later take my children along with a group of homeschooled children and their parents for a tour of the Van Nuys Plant.
the kid C6 (04-01-2017)
Old 04-01-2017, 09:20 AM
JungleCat
Safety Car

Received 252 Likes on 174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Interesting history. The 1989 IROC-Z I had back in the day was built there.
Old 04-01-2017, 09:34 AM
Cjunkie
Melting Slicks

Received 172 Likes on 134 Posts

SMH all those jobs lost.
Old 04-01-2017, 08:21 PM
Cjunkie
Melting Slicks

Received 172 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs
I recall Van Nuys was #36 of 36 GM assembly plants for quality. Dead last. It showed in the product, too.

A lady acquaintance of mine had an 86 Firebird. She worked in the plant in administration. She was good looking, had big *****, and the workers liked it when she came out in the plant. They knew her. She bought her Firebird through the channels for employee orders, knew her VIN and scheduled build date. When her car was built, she followed it along taking pictures. The workers KNEW who's car they were building. And it was still a total POS. Stuff fell off. Trim didn't fit. Lots of stuff just quit working. She sold it two years later and got a Honda Civic. She was still there when the plant closed, but I don't know what she did afterwards.
Did Honda give her a job?
Old 04-02-2017, 07:33 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Originally Posted by Cjunkie
Did Honda give her a job?
Why would Honda hire unskilled labor?
Old 04-02-2017, 08:40 AM
OH THREE Z
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 280 Posts
2018 C4 of Year Finalist

Seems to be a theme with the camaro. I live in cincinnati and grew up about 5 miles away from the norwood plant (camaro/firebird was built there from 67-87). As a kid in the 80's i remember seeing in amazement all of the assembled cars sitting in the shipping lot off if the highway. Ive heard stories about lousy attendance and poor work ethic running rampant. I must say that the 85 Norwood IROC i had in high school was pretty good from a quality issue. I am currently restoring an 88 Van Nuys IROC
Old 04-02-2017, 09:01 PM
chiefttp
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts

Someone asked why the plant closed?, here's your answer.....California Liberals

"Production moved to Sainte-Thérèse Assembly in Quebec due to air quality remediation efforts."
Old 04-02-2017, 10:33 PM
JWMorrisey
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

As I grew up in N. KY, I remember the Norwood GM plant. They built F-bodies here till the plant closed.

GM closed it in late '87-early '88 and leveled the buildings. I think it's still a vacant lot all these years later.

My VERY FIRST car ( was still too young to drive) was a 1954 Chevrolet 2door. IT had the 'N' identifier in the VIN showing it was built in Norwood.

Jonathan.....
Old 04-02-2017, 11:08 PM
LouisvilleLT4
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Last edited by LouisvilleLT4; 06-30-2023 at 03:41 AM.
AgentEran (06-25-2019)
Old 04-03-2017, 08:19 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Originally Posted by LouisvilleLT4
Damn liberals, with their always sabotaging each useful place by commanding them to not completely wipe out the other surrounding useful places by literally chemically dissolving them over a period of decades as a side effect of these places' competitions for profit (and their shareholders' inattention to the big-picture community impact instead of share prices)... Californians should follow the good Lord's plan of breaking the basic rules of chemistry that define which things dissolve and change each other -- a set of rules perpetuated only by liberals, who should have never performed those experiments to record the repeatable behaviors of chemicals in the first place. Pollution, chemistry, the weather yesterday -- it's all their fault. Pollution laws got you down? Don't blame the pollution or the offending polluters, no. Blame the liberals. Blame a scientist. Shoot the messenger.

Don't let the OFF TOPIC pinhead get you down. He'll go grab his life sized so-called president doll by the ***** and feel better.

It had nothing to do with their dead last quality control. Losers always find someone else to blame. Just ask the Donald.

Do svidaniya, comarade.
AgentEran (06-25-2019)
Old 04-03-2017, 08:37 AM
Nokones
Drifting

Received 231 Likes on 158 Posts

Yes, I remember the Van Nuys plant. I went there on a field trip from school. My 90 Camaro 1LE was built there. My neighbor was a suit, in some capacity, at that plant.

Last edited by Nokones; 04-03-2017 at 08:38 AM.
Old 04-03-2017, 02:58 PM
chiefttp
Safety Car

LouisvilleLT4,
Nobody is against clean air, but ask yourself why GM didn't rebuild the plant, or modernize it, instead of closing it and turning it into a shopping mall or whatever. Businesses are leaving Cali as quick as they can, so are many of your citizens. Liberal policies, over regulation, and high costs ( due to liberal policies) have shut down factories with well paying jobs and in their place are Starbucks, yoga studios, aromatherapy stores and the like....tell me I'm wrong..I just spent some time in San Fran and it seems its become a magnet for bums and homeless types, and totally unaffordable..

Last edited by chiefttp; 04-03-2017 at 03:14 PM.
Old 04-03-2017, 04:04 PM
LouisvilleLT4
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by chiefttp
LouisvilleLT4,
Nobody is against clean air, but ask yourself why GM didn't rebuild the plant, or modernize it, instead of closing it and turning it into a shopping mall or whatever.
Maybe you should ask GM, they're the ones who fled from neighborly responsibility with nothing to hold them accountable for it

Get notified of new replies

To Anyody Remember The Old GM Van Nuys Camaro Plant?

Old 04-03-2017, 04:53 PM
chiefttp
Safety Car

Same thing is happening here in Jersey, though to a lesser extent. Businesses and people will leave when things are getting out of control.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:35 AM
Nokones
Drifting

Received 231 Likes on 158 Posts

All the people with a honest income are leaving the state and taking their money with them. Everything either has a enormous regulation fee or is being taxed to death. Now, marijuana is taking over along with a lot of people sponging off of society. Nobody in California contributes to society they just sponge off of public assistance. Either they are a care taker for their sick grandma with a toe nail ache or they have this make up disability so they don't have to work and collect a public assistance pay check and sit home some their dope. California is becoming a waste land of a bunch of society deviates.

Last edited by Nokones; 04-04-2017 at 12:54 PM.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:49 AM
chiefttp
Safety Car

I was amazed at the amount of homeless and bums in San Francisco when I visited there last month. My Wife really wanted to visit San Fran and she couldn't leave fast enough after bums pestered us everywhere we toured. One bum stole French fries from the people next to us at the In-N-Out burger place. That kind of **** illicites a quick response in New York, bums don't panhandle inside of resturaunts in Brooklyn.. but everyone there sat motionless afraid to help the couple being accosted. Like they were scared of violating the bums safe space or something..sad..see the same stuff in San Diego a lot too. Beautiful cities and A Beautiful State slowly dying...so let's legalize pot, and make them sanctuary cities because that will definately help the problems! That's why GM left Van Nuys...saw the writing on the wall.

Last edited by chiefttp; 04-04-2017 at 08:55 AM.

Quick Reply: Anyody Remember The Old GM Van Nuys Camaro Plant?