C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Transparent roof headliner blackout panel

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 09:46 AM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

Default Transparent roof headliner blackout panel

Does anyone have one of those "Transparent roof headliner panels" that are sold by Midamerica Corvette parts for about $60.00? Not the static kling type with tiny holes. It's a padded headliner type panel that's designed to block out sunlight on the transparent roof and it just clips into place. Just wondering how it looks and if it's worth looking into.

Last edited by FOURSPEEDVETTE; 02-11-2016 at 09:48 AM.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:41 AM
N42375
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

I installed the headliner in my 90 coupe 3 years ago. I bought mine from Zip Corvette out of Michigan. I think I paid about $55 with a free shipping coupon that they had on a special. It has plastic taps that slip in under the weather stripping. You can install it while sitting in the drivers seat. Works great. Your brains no longer get roasted on a sunny day. Wouldn't want to be without it if you are planing those long all day trips.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:00 PM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

Can it be installed and uninstalled when you want? Does it decrease your headroom? Does it look "finished" from the outside looking into the top?

Last edited by FOURSPEEDVETTE; 02-11-2016 at 11:00 PM.
Old 02-12-2016, 10:34 AM
N42375
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

To answer your questions- 1. Yes 2. Very little-I'm 6-4 and my head does not touch the liner
3.Yes
Old 02-12-2016, 11:40 AM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Received 1,389 Likes on 920 Posts

Originally Posted by N42375
I installed the headliner in my 90 coupe 3 years ago. I bought mine from Zip Corvette out of Michigan. I think I paid about $55 with a free shipping coupon that they had on a special. It has plastic taps that slip in under the weather stripping. You can install it while sitting in the drivers seat. Works great. Your brains no longer get roasted on a sunny day. Wouldn't want to be without it if you are planing those long all day trips.
It's good to hear somebody had a good experience with this item. The fit on mine was so poor that, even after trying to trim/modify it to fit better, I finally gave up and threw the POS in the trash. The tabs didn't fit into the targa properly, and the panel puckered and sagged in the middle. Nothing I was able to do fixed it, short of gluing it to the targa, which I was not about to do.

I hope it works better for the OP than it did for me, if he decides to buy one. The one I bought came from Mid America, but it's probably the same item from the same manufacturer, regardless of the vendor you buy from.

Live well,

SJW
Old 02-12-2016, 01:07 PM
Churchkey
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Mine fit well however the back side of it was white material that showed trough the targa.

Flat black rattle can paint fixed it.
Old 02-13-2016, 08:49 AM
Wezel
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I tried one a few years ago. Could never get it to fit right. Returned it for a refund.
Old 02-13-2016, 07:54 PM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by SJW
It's good to hear somebody had a good experience with this item. The fit on mine was so poor that, even after trying to trim/modify it to fit better, I finally gave up and threw the POS in the trash. The tabs didn't fit into the targa properly, and the panel puckered and sagged in the middle. Nothing I was able to do fixed it, short of gluing it to the targa, which I was not about to do.

I hope it works better for the OP than it did for me, if he decides to buy one. The one I bought came from Mid America, but it's probably the same item from the same manufacturer, regardless of the vendor you buy from.

Live well,

SJW

Yup....same here.
Old 02-18-2016, 02:32 PM
stingray71
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by SJW

Live well,

SJW
Mine came with 2 suction cups that were applied to the center area to keep it from sagging. It took about 10 minutes to get it installed correctly around the edges, so I didn't change it that often. Once it was installed, it looked pretty good.
Mine had a white background (facing up), but I believe that is to reflect the heat. Black would just absorb heat from the sun.
Old 02-18-2016, 03:57 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by FOURSPEEDVETTE
Does anyone have one of those "Transparent roof headliner panels" that are sold by Midamerica Corvette parts for about $60.00? Not the static kling type with tiny holes. It's a padded headliner type panel that's designed to block out sunlight on the transparent roof and it just clips into place. Just wondering how it looks and if it's worth looking into.
Hi

I have had my targa headliner insert for more than six years, is very easy to fit and remove and cannot be seen from outside.
My targa roof is the blue tint one, looks just like a solid roof in and out.
The headliner insert is straight not following the contour, which some describe as sagging however I am very happy with it.

See pic's below, of what the insert looks like.

Old 02-22-2016, 08:15 PM
GRIS
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

Another slant, I have got great results with the static-cling job with all the holes. On my '87 I would put it in for the summer so the ac could keep up & take it out in winter for the light. When I got a solid top for the '87 I put it in the '96 and have never taken it out. I'm 6'2" so head space matters.

Last edited by GRIS; 02-22-2016 at 08:17 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:43 AM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Mine works fine, and I only tried driving without it once in moderate temps and was roasting. So either it’s in or the whole panel is off.

Get notified of new replies

To Transparent roof headliner blackout panel

Quick Reply: Transparent roof headliner blackout panel