C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Need options or is It time to consider Parting Out

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 10:59 AM
TJM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need options or is It time to consider Parting Out

We have had zero interest in our C4 racer. Not terribly surprising, most Road Guys won't even spell C4....

Drag racers have not been tried, but a lot of value is lost in the suspension.. and I am guessing a 3:45 is not all that attractive to Drag racers...

It offers a complete Automatic to size speed conversion... 100%

The motor is Gen 1 but that would be best sold on C1 - C3..anyway,...

Just sort of sad..........

Tried Ebay, Craig's List Racing Junk.... Here....

Any thoughts out there???
Attached Images    
Old 02-22-2016, 11:06 AM
seeyouinajif
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks too nice to part- but when deciding to part or sell whole it comes down to what's it worth in parts vs. what's it worth as a car?

Having parted a few cars myself I will share that the spread should be large if you decide to part, it's a lot of work dealing with people and offers and shipping and paypal fees and craigslist ect.

What are you trying to get for the car?
Old 02-22-2016, 11:21 AM
skullandbones
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I think you're potential buyer list is very short. You would have to market this racer to a niche that probably spends more time on racing web sites than ebay or craigs list. Then you might find that one person out of a thousand in the general population who would be drawn to it. If you have time to take it to the track for track days like with ProMotor Sports or something like that, you might get some interest especially if it performs well.

I've only parted out one car in my whole life. I think I got about 50% of what I had in the parts. It took two years. How much fun did you have building and racing it? Some of the value is there which you don't usually recoup.

JMHO: It looks too nice to part but that may end up getting you the most money.

Good luck,

WEK.

Last edited by skullandbones; 02-22-2016 at 11:30 AM.
Old 02-22-2016, 11:31 AM
TJM
Drifting

Originally Posted by seeyouinajif
Looks too nice to part- but when deciding to part or sell whole it comes down to what's it worth in parts vs. what's it worth as a car?

Having parted a few cars myself I will share that the spread should be large if you decide to part, it's a lot of work dealing with people and offers and shipping and paypal fees and craigslist ect.

What are you trying to get for the car?
Settle for $10,000.00 Can be driven if BRAVE!!! It is a true road race car and is has windows as creature comforts!!

Full lists of all parts expenses and builds Dyno MAPS of he computer.. all of it...

Building a spec racers......
Old 02-22-2016, 11:38 AM
seeyouinajif
Instructor

Yeah that price will be tough as there are a lot of entry level road race cars for that price that are more popular and can run in nice big classes (miata, e30, ect).

Good luck with the sale
Old 02-22-2016, 11:43 AM
TJM
Drifting

Originally Posted by skullandbones
I think you're potential buyer list is very short. You would have to market this racer to a niche that probably spends more time on racing web sites than ebay or craigs list. Then you might find that one person out of a thousand in the general population who would be drawn to it. If you have time to take it to the track for track days like with ProMotor Sports or something like that, you might get some interest especially if it performs well.

I've only parted out one car in my whole life. I think I got about 50% of what I had in the parts. It took two years. How much fun did you have building and racing it? Some of the value is there which you don't usually recoup.

JMHO: It looks too nice to part but that may end up getting you the most money.

Good luck,

WEK.

$25,000 in it, but that's over five years of tracking. The present from is freshened and improved .. but we are out of the PLAY phase and have to build something "spec"...

Still have my '89.. so it's not like Post Partum!!!!
Old 02-22-2016, 11:55 AM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Received 191 Likes on 158 Posts

Have you thought about taking it to any of the Tudor Sports car races (Sebring/Road Atlanta) and listing it for sale? Big money at those races and there might be a few privateers in the croud that would ****** it up.
Old 02-22-2016, 12:35 PM
skullandbones
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by TJM
$25,000 in it, but that's over five years of tracking. The present from is freshened and improved .. but we are out of the PLAY phase and have to build something "spec"...

Still have my '89.. so it's not like Post Partum!!!!
Wow! You are deep into it. But it also sounds like you have had a lot of fun in tracking for five years. I still think catering to a racing crowd is your best bet like the above poster suggests. The richer the event, the better chances. To some people 25K is pocket change but you have to find them.

From your avatar it looks like you are building more future racers. You thought car racing was expensive. You are going into the real money pit.

I wish you the best in your efforts!

WEK.
Old 02-22-2016, 02:23 PM
seeyouinajif
Instructor

PCA will be at road atlanta last weekend of march/first weekend of april. They definitely have money to spend.
Old 02-22-2016, 03:01 PM
vetteLT193
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 524 Likes on 314 Posts

I have seen your ad and IMO 90 percent of your problem is the car looks terrible. Take it outside, clean it up, take some really good pictures of inside, outside, etc. Make sure you get the whole car in the picture, the whole engine bay, etc.

I know it's a race car and will have been banged up in areas but from the pictures posted it is not enticing at all. Pictures are the first sell, then all your detail will get people lured in after they get the itch from looking at the pictures.

Get notified of new replies

To Need options or is It time to consider Parting Out

Quick Reply: Need options or is It time to consider Parting Out