C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Confused about how headlight relays

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 04:52 PM
triumphmaster
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Confused about how headlight relays

Hi, I am having a problem with my left headlamp not opening, I think that there are 3 relays for this 1984 C4. 1 is a headlight motor relay and the other (2) headlight relays. I want to replace all 3 so it is new again, but I am unsure if the 2 headlight relays are the same and the headlight motor relay is the different one. Been researching for many hours and I would really like to have some help on this one please. Anybody with knowledge on this could you PLEASE HELP? THANKS

Last edited by triumphmaster; 04-02-2016 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-02-2016, 05:35 PM
jts90vette
Pro

Received 230 Likes on 148 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist

Did you check the "pucks"? They turn to dust after several years.

http://www.parts123.com/corvettecent...050f&ukey=9294

If these are gone the head light will not open.
Old 04-02-2016, 07:27 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by jts90vette
Did you check the "pucks"? They turn to dust after several years.

http://www.parts123.com/corvettecent...050f&ukey=9294

If these are gone the head light will not open.
I don't believe his has the pucks.
Old 04-02-2016, 08:59 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Op - it would be foolish to buy 3 relays!! Foolish ..

I'm guessing you don't have the FSM (Factory Service Manual) You really need it.

The headlamp doors are on two separate circuits and each of the "actuator"relays is supplied power from a separate fusible link. Some have struggled for years with diagnostics. It might be considered "safe to assume that" if you swapped the actuator relays "side to side" the non-operable function travels. That doesn't always seem to be true though.
You could try - the actuator relays might be 10031018 OR you can check the part numbers on all three relays and post those numbers.

The HL door diagnostics are a full page and a half I believe.

I have an '84 FSM in .pdf I can sell you. Use the email link when you click on my user ID works best - or PM me.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:13 PM
jts90vette
Pro

Received 230 Likes on 148 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
I don't believe his has the pucks.
Yes Sir, you are correct. 1988 and up, if I'm not mistaken again?.
Old 04-03-2016, 03:32 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

There are no "headlight" relays. The 3 relays are all for the headlight motors, one for each side and one to reverse the polarity.

You can test your relays by swapping the left and right and see if the problem follows.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:46 PM
triumphmaster
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi and Thanks for all the GREAT ADVISE! I picked up a manual and removed all three relays, they were basically covered in a black tar substance and I could not see one contact point on the relay or pigtail. I have gone all in already so I am not going to stop now. I will get the three relays and carefully clean all the pigtails. I believe that there are two fusible links on the inner left fender well and one did not have voltage at the far end, so I will replace it with the proper gauge ,put it all back together and I believe my problem will be solved. Thanks To all who replied and the advise that you have given me! This 84 c4 only has 12000 miles on it and I have tuned it with the best qualility parts that I could get, so why stop now, IT'S A CORVETTE!!!! Thanks Again!!
Old 04-04-2016, 12:49 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by triumphmaster
Hi, I am having a problem with my left headlamp not opening, I think that there are 3 relays for this 1984 C4. 1 is a headlight motor relay and the other (2) headlight relays. I want to replace all 3 so it is new again,
You're guessing. Not a good idea for solving problems.

I will get the three relays and carefully clean all the pigtails. I believe that there are two fusible links on the inner left fender well and one did not have voltage at the far end, so I will replace it with the proper gauge ,put it all back together and I believe my problem will be solved.
You're still guessing. Your FSM says the fusible links are near the firewall bulkhead connector (pg. 8A-40). I'm not sure what you are identifying as the fusible links. Can you provide a picture?

With the info provided, all we can do is guess, so I'm going to guess the problem is really in the headlight motor, not the relays. The limit switches inside the motor must be clean in order to operate properly. A dirty limit switch will cause the exact problem you are experiencing. Here's a link to a Cliff Harris repair procedure:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...placement.html

If you decide to open the motor, be sure to apply a light weight white grease (Lubriplate or CRC Sta-Lube) to the motor bushings.

Old 04-04-2016, 03:04 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Hi and Thanks for all the GREAT ADVISE! I picked up a manual and removed all three relays, they were basically covered in a black tar substance and I could not see one contact point on the relay or pigtail.
That's dielectric grease and needs to be in there to keep the connections waterproof. When the plug is inserted into the relay it wipes off the pins and makes a connection.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:02 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
There are no "headlight" relays. The 3 relays are all for the headlight motors, one for each side and one to reverse the polarity.

You can test your relays by swapping the left and right and see if the problem follows.

Get notified of new replies

To Confused about how headlight relays

Quick Reply: Confused about how headlight relays