C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

94 6 speed security system will not allow start

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 11:25 AM
net_coma
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 94 6 speed security system will not allow start

I lost my keys and fob. Yes only one set, ("stupid is as stupid does.")

Everything was working as it should. GM data base does not provide the resistance value for my Corvette. Key cut codes only. I had a locksmith come make a key. He made keys for 1-14 resistance values. At #14 the car started. I realized that the battery was low and connected the charger. Connecting the battery charger has always activated the alarm which cleared when door locks were cycled. This time I am not able to clear the security lock. I have locked unlocked door with key and from inside car with the slide and with the switch. I have disconnected the battery, I have tried leaving ignition on for ten minutes then off for ten seconds and try to start. Nothing is getting me past or out of the security lock.

When I open the door the security light flashes, when door is closed the security light goes out and the lights and days lights start to flash. (Parking lights and dash lights) I have searched and read related posts for a couple of weeks and have not discovered the action to resolve.

I am not able to resolve this. Any and all assistance is desired and welcome. My hope and trust is in this amazing brain trust.
Old 06-08-2016, 01:33 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Sounds like you might just need a battery fully charged. And might have fried your alt.

Last edited by antfarmer2; 06-08-2016 at 01:37 PM.
Old 06-08-2016, 01:38 PM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 90 Posts

I'm not clear on what you are saying; is the alarm always sounding as long as the battery is connected? Can you still start the car?

Last edited by markKlein; 06-08-2016 at 01:39 PM.
Old 06-08-2016, 01:50 PM
net_coma
Advanced

Battery is fully charged, charge was completed earlier today. No change in symptoms. Alternator was fine last time the car started. Charger comment is only to point out that charger connection has always initiated the alarm.
Old 06-08-2016, 01:57 PM
net_coma
Advanced

No, the alarm is not always sounding. Car has not started in 2 months. Open door, alarm activates, press clutch, alarm activates. No security light illuminated or flashing on dash, this goes out when I close the door. Lights and dash lights then start to flash. I can hear the fuel pump start then pause as it should.

No, the car does not start. System is blocking the circuit to the solenoid and not allowing the start.
Old 06-08-2016, 03:17 PM
RollaMo-LT4
Race Director

Received 141 Likes on 116 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by net_coma
No, the alarm is not always sounding. Car has not started in 2 months. Open door, alarm activates, press clutch, alarm activates. No security light illuminated or flashing on dash, this goes out when I close the door. Lights and dash lights then start to flash. I can hear the fuel pump start then pause as it should.

No, the car does not start. System is blocking the circuit to the solenoid and not allowing the start.
Explain what you mean by "alarm activates"?

Pushing the clutch in should have no effect at all.
Also, the lights and dash lights start flashing is not a normal factory condition of the alarm.

Do you have an aftermarket alarm system installed?
Old 06-08-2016, 03:36 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

I would check to battery connections and load test the battery.
Old 06-08-2016, 04:58 PM
net_coma
Advanced

The alarm system is all GM, I see no evidence that it has been modified.
Locked the door, pushed hatch release button, opened door, and closed door. In each case the lights flash for about 30 seconds. Each check is independent and after flashing has ceased. Depressing the clutch pedal does not cause the system to react, however, releasing the pedal resulted in two flashes of parking and tail lights. Tested the clutch pedal reaction 3 times with identical results.
Old 06-08-2016, 05:42 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Locked the door, pushed hatch release button, opened door, and closed door. In each case the lights flash for about 30 seconds. Each check is independent and after flashing has ceased. Depressing the clutch pedal does not cause the system to react, however, releasing the pedal resulted in two flashes of parking and tail lights. Tested the clutch pedal reaction 3 times with identical results.
I have a 94 auto all factory and have never seen this. Look on youtube and use the paper clip method to get any codes and let us know. If the pump runs for two seconds when the key is turned on it is working right. I would turn the key to the run position and jump the starter. I bet that will get you going and you have had a bubba in there. I would look for bubbas hidden valet switch.

Last edited by antfarmer2; 06-08-2016 at 05:48 PM.
Old 06-08-2016, 05:51 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Also reach under the front of the seat and flip the u shaped wire down and back. Then lift the seat bottom out and see if your keys are there.
Old 06-08-2016, 06:13 PM
Pa'svette
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17-'18,'19

I'm not a mechanic but it sounds to me like when the locksmith was trying keys 1-13 he caused the ccm to lose it's program.
If 14 is the right code, put it in the lock, turn it to run then back to lock and remove the key. The security light should flash 14 times, if it does put the key back in and don't turn it just let it set for a while until the light goes out. That might reprogram it. If not check for trouble codes. Good luck.
Old 06-09-2016, 12:31 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by Pa'svette
I'm not a mechanic but it sounds to me like when the locksmith was trying keys 1-13 he caused the ccm to lose it's program.
If 14 is the right code, put it in the lock, turn it to run then back to lock and remove the key. The security light should flash 14 times, if it does put the key back in and don't turn it just let it set for a while until the light goes out. That might reprogram it. If not check for trouble codes. Good luck.
The CCM is not "programable" or "un-programable" in that way at all. You can use the wrong key, as many times as you have time and patience to, and the CCM will not "lose it's program". All that will happen is that the CCM will prevent you from trying to start the car again (w/the correct key) for ~5 minutes.
Old 06-09-2016, 08:16 AM
Pa'svette
Racer

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
The CCM is not "programable" or "un-programable" in that way at all. You can use the wrong key, as many times as you have time and patience to, and the CCM will not "lose it's program". All that will happen is that the CCM will prevent you from trying to start the car again (w/the correct key) for ~5 minutes.
Tom
Thanks for the info. Like I said I'm not a mechanic but I think that if the CCM goes bad and you replace it the new one has to be programed to your key code.
Just thought trying 13 different keys would scramble the memory in the CCM (it would mine).
Thanks again
Old 06-09-2016, 09:36 AM
net_coma
Advanced

With consideration of the key being a factor, what is the indication of key mismatch rather than other parts of the security system preventing engine start..

When I open the door the security light flashes and goes out when the door is closed. During this time the dash lights are flashing for about 30 seconds. When I turn the ignition on, the fuel pump runs for a few seconds. From my searching and reading, I thought the fuel pump running to be an indication of vats not involved.
Old 06-09-2016, 10:24 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

I agree if the vats was stopping it the fuel pump would not run.
Old 06-09-2016, 01:52 PM
Pa'svette
Racer

With consideration of the key being a factor, what is the indication of key mismatch rather than other parts of the security system preventing engine start..

When I open the door the security light flashes and goes out when the door is closed. During this time the dash lights are flashing for about 30 seconds. When I turn the ignition on, the fuel pump runs for a few seconds. From my searching and reading, I thought the fuel pump running to be an indication of vats not involved.
The security light flashing with the door open and off when the door is closed is normal.
Since Tom corrected me on the CCM I'm out of suggestions. These cars do funny things sometimes. The door switch went bad on my Tahoe last year and the interior lights,dash lights and radio did all kind of strange things.
You might call a GM dealer and ask if they have run into your problem.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:22 PM
net_coma
Advanced

I am on a timeline since last evening. If I have not sorted this out by Monday, wife says it is going to the dealer. Talk about motivation. Told her it may be more cost effective to buy a second C4.

Get notified of new replies

To 94 6 speed security system will not allow start

Old 06-09-2016, 03:02 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

If it is your door switches doing strange things. Just gently pull out the plunger on it and close the door to ajust.
Old 06-09-2016, 06:15 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by Pa'svette
Tom
Thanks for the info. Like I said I'm not a mechanic but I think that if the CCM goes bad and you replace it the new one has to be programed to your key code.
Just thought trying 13 different keys would scramble the memory in the CCM (it would mine).
Thanks again
Yep, you are absolutely right that the CCM needs to be reprogrammed when you replace it, however that is done by the dealer.
The following users liked this post:
Pa'svette (06-09-2016)
Old 06-09-2016, 06:15 PM
net_coma
Advanced

I fussed with the door switches yesterday.
Problem is that the symptoms do not seem related to rational behavior. I get the proper operation signal from the security light operation. Flashes while door is open and goes out when door closes. Turn on ignition, fuel pump starts and doors lock. All the while dash lights are flashing and relay behind instrument cluster is clicking in time with the flashing. With the flashing and clicking where is the horn alarm?

I have not been able to determine what is causing the flashing dash lights. Most threads have a discussion that circles back to vats and then ends. Most, that I have read do not end in clear resolution.

My navy chief taught me that when troubleshooting always look at the last thing you recently worked on. Last was clutch slave cylinder, therefore, I will jumper the switch and try again. No change expected but only way to rule it out.

One thing I could use help with is locating the starter enable relay on a 94 LT1.

Quick Reply: 94 6 speed security system will not allow start