Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

So today I made an arse of myself.. want to hear how? come on in!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 09:22 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Myself I don't like the ASR when it engages the pedal gets goofy. A well done burn out , drift ,and hooking up is the ultimate way to leave in a hurry. Nothing is worse than the car failing to perform because of bs programming.
Old 06-19-2016, 12:39 AM
CaptainMerricka
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AgentEran
Went to downtown to the electronics district at lunch to look at some speakers and amps.. Theres alot of "car" guys there shopping or installing stuff or just generally smokin n jokin.

The '96 got a decent amount of attention while it was parked there I saw sever guys go check it out, which made my day of course

After checking several shops and tasting that downtown air I was ready to go.. but suddenly & out of nowhere! upon departure my right foot suddenly became extremely heavy! After some contemplation I knew the only way to remedy my case of Chevy foot was to treat everyone to a nicely done burnout..

Back out.. prep my self.. look around make sure things are safe etc.. guys notice my burnout staging and know whats coming, so i attain a small audience to view my shenanigans..

Give the LT4 a few 2k revs.. now everyones looking..

**Fail to disengage traction control!!**

Burnout begins and quickly turns into stall..

People pointed and laughed.

Thought I would share my folly.. and hopefully give some of you a good laugh.
Hahaha, I have a similiar story. I was test driving my lt4 convertible and stopped by a custom auto shop at a red light. The guys in the shop requested a smoky burnout. Eager to oblige them in a car that wasn't even mine yet, I revved it up and waited for a green light. Green light beams, I drop the clutch expecting glory but instead the ASR slapped my right foot as if it were the hand of a little kid who's dipping into a cookie jar, resulting in a very poor show of THE POWER! I bought it anyways.

I too immediately turn off my asr when I get in the car. I find that it steps in almost every time I drive if it is on...

Last edited by CaptainMerricka; 06-19-2016 at 12:46 AM.
Old 06-19-2016, 01:33 AM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I flew into Atlanta from Michigan in 2006 and picked up my red LT4 vert in Kennesaw. I headed North and after some time decided to stop at a Waffle House that I saw just off the Interstate.
It seems that Georgia had a Lotto contest where the big prize was a new, red C6 convertible. The restaurant emptied when I parked - cooks, wait staff, customers and even the dish washer! They thought I was the winner!
After I explained that I had just bought it and that it was 10 years old I finally got to sit down and order. My waitress said, "Honey - I don't know where you are headed but I want to go with you!"
She got a $20 tip!
I pulled out of the parking lot and dumped the clutch and nailed it! It got right up and roared off but just like you - virtually no burnout as I did not even know about traction control at the time.
I stayed a night in Bowling Green and on my way home the next day got the thing up to 120mph - until my wallet got scared.
That was the best car I ever owned

Last edited by corvetteronw; 06-19-2016 at 01:35 AM.
Old 06-20-2016, 11:09 AM
itsalwayssomething
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Turning off The ASR is always part of my preflight check.
Old 06-20-2016, 11:42 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Hmmm

I wish they has ASR in 85, 383 supercharged I could really use it (when I have to be good like when police are around looking to bust someone)

Here in OZ, if you are caught doing excessive speed. Like only 30kmh over the limit burnout too loud or other naughty behavior, car is impounded for 30 days $800 release fee plus fine and on third offence car is crushed.

Now there is talk of car confiscation, sale or crusher on first offence....

Australia is a police state, what happens when you are caught doing a burnout in USA? slap on wrist or more serious consequences?

My company vehicle has ASR Stability control and all that modern stuff, you can drive the car like you stole it and you cannot loose control the stability program sorts it all out.
Old 06-21-2016, 12:18 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevova
Nothing is worse than the car failing to perform because of bs programming.
I completely agree!

When I first got my '06, (no, not a C4) my best car-guy friend wanted me to do a big burn out w/it. I didn't want to. The Runflats were way, WAY too expensive. So, I put him off over and over...but I knew one day, it would be "time". That day came; I was leaving his house and he had another, mutual friend over....The expectation was that I was going to do a horror show, when I left. I knew I had to do it. When I backed out of my friend's driveway, I turned the TC off....it said, "TC OFF" in the DIC. I brought the engine up to about 3500 RPM, held my breath, prayed for the tires and then dumped the clutch and floored it.
Car "peeled out", for a weak, pathetic 10' or so, then hooked, bogged and then sort of accelerated away. Sort of. I was ruined. My brand new, $50k, 400hp/400tq 6 speed car, and THAT **** was all it could muster? I didn't know WTF had just happened. Do any of you?

10 seconds later, my cell rings...awe crap; it's my friend. I already know what he's calling for -the lame assed "burn out". I answer, and hear, "DUDE. What...the ***....was THAT!?" I stammered that I didn't know WHAT happened. I didn't. It was embarrassing, I thought the car might be broken....I didn't know. I was crushed. I drove home, thinking I'd bought the most expensive POS lemon ever made.

The problem? I didn't turn off Active Handling too. The car apparently started to yaw, ever so slightly and the 'puters shut down the show. Turned out in that dumb car, to turn ALL the crap off you have to hit the TC button, then hold it down for ~10 full seconds...then you get "ALL TC AND AH OFF", in the DIC....and it's SHOW TIME! You can do a real, bad assed burn out. But you know what? By the time the 10 seconds has passed and you get everything shut off....ya don't really want to do a burn out anymore! The moment has passed, you're thinking about those goofy, run flat tire$ so you just say "F-it" and you putter on home.
Old 06-21-2016, 01:34 AM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by CREWZIN
I can beat that. Long, long time ago had my parents automatic straight 8 Pontiac. Two BIG G stickers on the sides of the back window standing for Germantown High School. Was taking it to school and stopped on a slight hill in front of the crowd waiting for the bus. Hot Rod ME revved it up in neutral, dropped it into gear and BANG! The front U-joint let go into several pieces as the drive shaft dropped to the ground. Let the car roll backwards down the hill out of sight of the crowd and called my dad. Needless to say, he wasn't too happy.
my first car was a 1951 Pontiac with the straight 8 and four speed hydramatic (hand me down). Compared to anything built since then, that car was a Sherman Tank, and weighed almost as much...that was back when car's and car bodies were actually made of heavy guage steel. I cannot even begin to tell you the amount of abuse that car received and never broke. They just don't make 'em like that anymore.

May it Rust In Peace.

Last edited by mtwoolford; 06-21-2016 at 01:35 AM.
Old 06-21-2016, 01:42 AM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
I was driving my first car 58 MGA and just got my license. Was stopped at a light on a good hill with a cop right on my butt. With the whole town milling about for the fall festival. I had to set the brake and get out and ask the cop to back up along with half the town laughing at me.
And my second car was a 57 MGA; anyone who didn't start their "Sports Car Years" with one of these early Brit's will never know the true meaning of "British Racing Luck"....or appreciate just how far cars have come.

Last edited by mtwoolford; 06-21-2016 at 01:43 AM.
Old 06-21-2016, 02:30 AM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

The following users liked this post:
JackDidley (07-12-2016)
Old 06-21-2016, 04:02 PM
AgentEran
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by gerardvg
Hmmm

I wish they has ASR in 85, 383 supercharged I could really use it (when I have to be good like when police are around looking to bust someone)

Here in OZ, if you are caught doing excessive speed. Like only 30kmh over the limit burnout too loud or other naughty behavior, car is impounded for 30 days $800 release fee plus fine and on third offence car is crushed.

Now there is talk of car confiscation, sale or crusher on first offence....

Australia is a police state, what happens when you are caught doing a burnout in USA? slap on wrist or more serious consequences?

My company vehicle has ASR Stability control and all that modern stuff, you can drive the car like you stole it and you cannot loose control the stability program sorts it all out.
I actually did a donut directly in front of a Pasadena police officer. He did pull me over, well I pulled over on my own he just pulled up and joined me. He was super cool.. asked about my mods.. and politely wrote me a ticket for exhibition of speed.. Was ~$500 fine..

I did another donut/slide in front of a Dallas Tx police officer.. he was NOT polite.. kept screaming at me and going on and on about how he should take me to jail.. That was another ~$500 fine.

They can choose to charge you with reckless driving which carries a mandatory 5 day jail sentence.. I guess I have been lucky enough to not get one of those
Old 06-21-2016, 11:02 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

I actually did a donut directly in front of a Pasadena police officer. He did pull me over, well I pulled over on my own he just pulled up and joined me. He was super cool.. asked about my mods.. and politely wrote me a ticket for exhibition of speed.. Was ~$500 fine..

I did another donut/slide in front of a Dallas Tx police officer.. he was NOT polite.. kept screaming at me and going on and on about how he should take me to jail.. That was another ~$500 fine.

They can choose to charge you with reckless driving which carries a mandatory 5 day jail sentence.. I guess I have been lucky enough to not get one of those
Wow that is not bad, $500 for doing burnouts in front of a cop,
yeah police have no sense of fun and excitement.

If you got a fast car you should be allowed one "grace burnout per year " without prosecution. Now we would all vote for someone that would allow that, Maybe vote Jay Leno for President
Old 06-22-2016, 12:26 AM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I actually did a donut directly in front of a Pasadena police officer. ...... wrote me a ticket for exhibition of speed.. Was ~$500 fine..

I did another donut/slide in front of a Dallas Tx police officer.. ...That was another ~$500 fine.
So what? Your out and see a cop. Then do a burnout to see what he does?
Old 06-22-2016, 01:12 PM
AgentEran
Drifting

Originally Posted by JrRifleCoach

Not at all.. just bad timing. During those times I drove a lot more aggressively then I do now.. Meaning, when it was time to get on the freeway.. I GOT ON the freeway.. If I needed to do a u turn I did a slide..

So it was only a matter of time, and the law of averages that eventually I would be caught red handed doing burnouts and such.

In Pasadena, I missed the turn to get on the freeway, so I busted a u turn that was accompanied by a decent amount of burnt rubber, only to be facing the cop about 50 ft away once I was facing the other direction....

In Dallas, I was turning onto the service road for the Bush turnpike, I got a little sideways and had to bank from left to right a couple times.. well as I did this the cop was in a parking lot of a hotel that was on the service road.. he broke his neck trying to catch up with me..

Interestingly, after he wrote my ticket.. he went and got into his car and peeled off, burning as much rubber as his interceptor would allow..
The following users liked this post:
ovrebo1 (06-23-2016)
Old 06-22-2016, 07:11 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

You from Dallas OP? I like the fact that you did it right in front of a cop
Old 06-22-2016, 09:17 PM
AgentEran
Drifting

Originally Posted by 1993C4LT1
You from Dallas OP? I like the fact that you did it right in front of a cop
No Sir. I was born and raised in a San Fernando Valley suburb of LA.

I, as I suspect many of us have, spent time living in many cities over the years and Dallas was one of them. And I must say it is prob the city I am most fond of living in for a variety of reasons. Love TX in general.

I currently reside in a very metro area of LA 4 miles from LAX, which I am not as fond of at all. Makes for interesting drives though.

Living 4 miles from the beach is pretty cool but it does not outweigh all the issues with population density and cost of living.

You would think the best drive would be PCH and along the coast but I recently realized that thats not the case at all.. PCH is just full of a bunch of fakers in their teslas w no exhaust note and millions and millions of BMW/BENZ/Porsche/Ferrari/Bently type guys in their brand new cookie cutters.

Nothing against that either, it has its place... but I have come to enjoy driving the streets of South Central/Compton area. Believe it or not I get WAY more guys stopping and taking pictures.. giving compliments and being overall nice people there vs the Santa Monica/Malibu scene.. And to top it off much more interesting things happen along the way and the police are more forgiving to my presence..

Sorry for my rant.. but yea.. Live in LA now.
Old 06-23-2016, 01:48 PM
CaptainMerricka
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interestingly, after he wrote my ticket.. he went and got into his car and peeled off, burning as much rubber as his interceptor would allow..
HAHAHA that is great!
Old 06-23-2016, 02:00 PM
ovrebo1
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by JrRifleCoach
I was out with a friend once, whom left the local police force. He saw one of his buddies patrolling and then proceeded to peel out, out of the parking lot. I just griped the door, fully expecting to get felony stopped. LOL the cop didn't even see us. Scared me though.
Old 06-25-2016, 03:20 AM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Went to downtown to the electronics district at lunch to look at some speakers and amps.. Theres alot of "car" guys there shopping or installing stuff or just generally smokin n jokin.

The '96 got a decent amount of attention while it was parked there I saw sever guys go check it out, which made my day of course

After checking several shops and tasting that downtown air I was ready to go.. but suddenly & out of nowhere! upon departure my right foot suddenly became extremely heavy! After some contemplation I knew the only way to remedy my case of Chevy foot was to treat everyone to a nicely done burnout..

Back out.. prep my self.. look around make sure things are safe etc.. guys notice my burnout staging and know whats coming, so i attain a small audience to view my shenanigans..

Give the LT4 a few 2k revs.. now everyones looking..

**Fail to disengage traction control!!**

Burnout begins and quickly turns into stall..

People pointed and laughed.

Thought I would share my folly.. and hopefully give some of you a good laugh.
Consider yourself lucky,sounds like a YouTube moment in the making. You wouldn't t happen to own a Mustang would you?
Old 07-11-2016, 07:50 PM
AgentEran
Drifting

Originally Posted by Z51JEFF
You wouldn't t happen to own a Mustang would you?
No!!

Although the new 5.0 has been catching my eye..

Quick Reply: So today I made an arse of myself.. want to hear how? come on in!