Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

So today I made an arse of myself.. want to hear how? come on in!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 08:55 PM
AgentEran
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 180 Posts

Default So today I made an **** of myself.. want to hear how? come on in!

Went to downtown to the electronics district at lunch to look at some speakers and amps.. Theres alot of "car" guys there shopping or installing stuff or just generally smokin n jokin.

The '96 got a decent amount of attention while it was parked there I saw sever guys go check it out, which made my day of course

After checking several shops and tasting that downtown air I was ready to go.. but suddenly & out of nowhere! upon departure my right foot suddenly became extremely heavy! After some contemplation I knew the only way to remedy my case of Chevy foot was to treat everyone to a nicely done burnout..

Back out.. prep my self.. look around make sure things are safe etc.. guys notice my burnout staging and know whats coming, so i attain a small audience to view my shenanigans..

Give the LT4 a few 2k revs.. now everyones looking..

**Fail to disengage traction control!!**

Burnout begins and quickly turns into stall..

People pointed and laughed.

Thought I would share my folly.. and hopefully give some of you a good laugh.
The following users liked this post:
ovrebo1 (06-17-2016)
Old 06-16-2016, 09:08 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

good job
Old 06-16-2016, 09:19 PM
CREWZIN
Melting Slicks

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I can beat that. Long, long time ago had my parents automatic straight 8 Pontiac. Two BIG G stickers on the sides of the back window standing for Germantown High School. Was taking it to school and stopped on a slight hill in front of the crowd waiting for the bus. Hot Rod ME revved it up in neutral, dropped it into gear and BANG! The front U-joint let go into several pieces as the drive shaft dropped to the ground. Let the car roll backwards down the hill out of sight of the crowd and called my dad. Needless to say, he wasn't too happy.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 06-16-2016 at 09:20 PM.
Old 06-16-2016, 09:23 PM
AgentEran
Drifting

Originally Posted by CREWZIN
I can beat that. Long, long time ago had my parents automatic straight 8 Pontiac. Two BIG G stickers on the sides of the back window standing for Germantown High School. Was taking it to school and stopped on a slight hill in front of the crowd waiting for the bus. Hot Rod ME revved it up in neutral, dropped it into gear and BANG! The front U-joint let go into several pieces as the drive shaft dropped to the ground. Let the car roll backwards down the hill out of sight of the crowd and called my dad. Needless to say, he wasn't too happy.

Would NOT have wanted to trade places with ya! Thats for sure! how embarrassing.. at least there were no cell phones/cams then, otherwise you might have gone viral with that one! ha!
Old 06-16-2016, 10:02 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

I was driving my first car 58 MGA and just got my license. Was stopped at a light on a good hill with a cop right on my butt. With the whole town milling about for the fall festival. I had to set the brake and get out and ask the cop to back up along with half the town laughing at me.
Old 06-16-2016, 11:59 PM
JD Shredds
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts

Good job. I hope you were able to laugh it off at least.

I've made it part of my second nature routine to shut the traction control off at startup. Only exception is in slippery conditions, which aren't common here in the desert.
Old 06-17-2016, 07:40 AM
1stVetteFinally
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Last edited by 1stVetteFinally; 06-17-2016 at 07:41 AM.
Old 06-17-2016, 09:25 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Originally Posted by 1stVetteFinally
Did you get yours out of the pawnshop yet?
Old 06-17-2016, 09:47 AM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Received 191 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by antfarmer2

Old 06-17-2016, 10:20 AM
73n95
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Really who gives a rat's ****? I got boo'd at a Corvette tour where the folks in small towns take a garden hose out, wet the town mainstreet and encourage the drivers to do a brake stand burnout. I can't help but wonder if those lawyers and bankers, with their shiny new C6's (at the time), know what they are doing to their brakes and c'mon, is that really what its about; burning those hew skins off for the redneck crowd? I just looked at them and asked who was going to pitch in for new tires or parts if i over rev. If they want to see burnouts go to the dragstrip or at least u tube. Enjoy your Vette for yourself.
Old 06-17-2016, 11:23 AM
1stVetteFinally
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
Actually, yes I did. Thanks for caring.
Old 06-17-2016, 11:27 AM
auggy
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Default burnouts

Originally Posted by CREWZIN
Truth is not much drama these days with burnouts since traction control and especially better tires make it a more difficult. I avoid turning off traction control since when you lose it, bad things can happen pretty fast.
Old 06-17-2016, 11:29 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Originally Posted by 1stVetteFinally
Actually, yes I did. Thanks for caring.
Old 06-17-2016, 11:37 AM
AgentEran
Drifting

Originally Posted by JD Shredds
Good job. I hope you were able to laugh it off at least.

I've made it part of my second nature routine to shut the traction control off at startup. Only exception is in slippery conditions, which aren't common here in the desert.
Actually, I was quite dejected the ride back to work.. it wasn't until later that I could laugh about it.

Why is it important to you to turn it off every time?

Do you feel a difference in performance? Or you like to be sideways alot? lol

Last edited by AgentEran; 06-17-2016 at 11:39 AM.
Old 06-17-2016, 12:11 PM
hockeyhead019
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks for sharing, got a little chuckle out this because I know exactly how you feel after that moment
Old 06-17-2016, 12:13 PM
ovrebo1
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

If it were me, I would have laughed with them, restarted the car and done it right....
Old 06-17-2016, 12:22 PM
corvettefan66
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AgentEran
Went to downtown to the electronics district at lunch to look at some speakers and amps.. Theres alot of "car" guys there shopping or installing stuff or just generally smokin n jokin.

The '96 got a decent amount of attention while it was parked there I saw sever guys go check it out, which made my day of course

After checking several shops and tasting that downtown air I was ready to go.. but suddenly & out of nowhere! upon departure my right foot suddenly became extremely heavy! After some contemplation I knew the only way to remedy my case of Chevy foot was to treat everyone to a nicely done burnout..

Back out.. prep my self.. look around make sure things are safe etc.. guys notice my burnout staging and know whats coming, so i attain a small audience to view my shenanigans..

Give the LT4 a few 2k revs.. now everyones looking..

**Fail to disengage traction control!!**

Burnout begins and quickly turns into stall..

People pointed and laughed.

Thought I would share my folly.. and hopefully give some of you a good laugh.
Ah, its all for the fun of it. Next time you'll be right on the money. I'm sorry to admit that I've never done a real burnout in my 95. It was a hard enough road getting my bosses "boss = wife of course" okay to buy the darn thing. If I blew something as a result and needed a tow home, she would give me so much grief.

Have fun out there AgentEran!

Get notified of new replies

To So today I made an arse of myself.. want to hear how? come on in!

Old 06-17-2016, 04:37 PM
JD Shredds
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by AgentEran
Actually, I was quite dejected the ride back to work.. it wasn't until later that I could laugh about it.

Why is it important to you to turn it off every time?

Do you feel a difference in performance? Or you like to be sideways alot? lol
You missed the opportunity for a redemption burnout show in that case! Lol

I find the asr interjects too early. I can manage throttle control on my own, thanks. Its like training wheels. I drive a Corvette for the fun of it. Asr is anti-fun. Only if its wet out do I find any reason to leave it on.
Old 06-17-2016, 05:02 PM
AgentEran
Drifting

Originally Posted by JD Shredds
You missed the opportunity for a redemption burnout show in that case! Lol

I find the asr interjects too early. I can manage throttle control on my own, thanks. Its like training wheels. I drive a Corvette for the fun of it. Asr is anti-fun. Only if its wet out do I find any reason to leave it on.
To paraphrase, "asr is for pu$$ies"

Def agreed tough. I cant stand when I go to get in it and get the hard petal instead of acceleration due to asr engagement. Takes the wind out the sail and the moment is never the same after that abhorrent feeling gas petal feedback.

Plus, whoever you were going to overtake or pass is now looking at you like.. what was that..? lol
Old 06-17-2016, 06:46 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Some of this brings back memories. Back before many here were even born, we built cars, tore them up then fixed them again. Who had the fastest car was a right of passage. Spent a lot more on cars and bikes than I should have but did plus more time under them fixing things that were broken just for the joy of showing off.

Today I'd rather put the top down and go for a nice drive. I don't have the fastest car, the loudest or best looking but then again it's mine and I love driving it.

In fact when I bought it 3 years ago and was driving it back from N.M. there was a kid in a rusty Corolla that passed us on 3 separate occasions on the interstate. Each time he passed he had the biggest grin on his face. It was apparently a bigger deal to him than me, I had the cruise control on and was just relishing the fun of finally having my Vette.

Quick Reply: So today I made an arse of myself.. want to hear how? come on in!