Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2002, 08:07 PM
duckvett
Safety Car

Received 919 Likes on 465 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2018 C6 of Year Winner

Default "Calling All Cops" - VETTE magazine

Even before I start let me say my Father is a retired Deputy Sheriff and I have lots of respect for the job they do. I tried it myself, but only lasted six weeks before I busted some sleazeballs kneecaps and was "asked" to resign.

Did you catch the latest issue of VETTE Magazine? Notice how many of the cops Corvettes don't have front plates? I know Texas requires a front plate, but there are lots of Texas cops pictured with no plate. Same for California. Whats up with that?? :confused:
Old 09-10-2002, 08:11 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default Re: "Calling All Cops" - VETTE magazine (duckvett)

I'll bet that they removed the front plate just for the pics :lol:
Old 09-10-2002, 08:12 PM
93TorchRedC4
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our rules don't apply to them.............
Old 09-10-2002, 08:50 PM
oldace84
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '04 & '05

:bs :bs :bs :bs :bs
Old 09-12-2002, 12:41 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

I don't run a front license plate because my state uses Laser. A black corvette without a front license plate is invisble to laser. can't reflect back. Add a front license plate, and you can clock it 2000+ feet away,

No license plate = non-moving violation
speeding = points+ moving violation

You get the picture
Old 09-14-2002, 07:16 AM
oldace84
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '04 & '05

What about the average vette guy.....

Would you be so FAT...if you were a cop???? Knowing you need to be in shape?????

What ever...not bitter...just confused......

Dangerous job ....right??????

Hit the easy ones....

Just my humble thoughts.....

tony

Oh Who's......Gosh I was speeding...wow...what a hero....

No disrespect meant.....HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tony...and not ashamed...maybe you could be not me....

again.....bye...

tony :nopity :nopity :nopity :nopity :flag :flag :nopity

[Modified by oldace84, 11:17 AM 9/14/2002]
Old 09-14-2002, 10:01 AM
Raskell5
Instructor

Default Re: "Calling All Cops" - VETTE magazine (oldace84)

"Yes Me the Lousy Cop"

Well Mr. Citizen, I guess you have me figured out. I seem to fit neatly into the category you place me in. I'm stereotyped, characterized, standardized, classified, grouped, and always typical. I'm the "lousy cop." Unfortunately, the reverse isn't true. I can never figure you out.

From birth you teach your children that I am the bogeyman, and then you're shocked when they identify me with my traditional enemy, the criminal. You accuse me of coddling juveniles, until I catch your kid doing something. You may take an hour for lunch, and have several coffee breaks each day, but point me out as a loafer if you see me having just one cup.

You pride yourself on your polished manners, but think nothing of interrupting my meals at noon with your troubles. You raise hell about the guy who cuts you off in traffic, but let me catch you doing the same thing and I'm picking on you. You know all the traffic laws, but never got a single ticket you deserved. You shout "foul" if you observe me driving fast enroute to an emergency call, but literally raise hell if I take more than ten seconds responding to your call!!!

You call it "part of the job" if someone strikes me, but it's "police brutality" if I strike back. You wouldn't think of telling your dentist how to pull a badly decayed tooth, or your doctor how to take out your appendix, but you are always willing to give me a few pointers on law enforcement. You talk to me in a manner and use language that would assure a bloody nose from anyone else, but you expect me to stand and take it without batting an eye.

You cry, "Something has to be done about all the crime!" but you can't be bothered with getting involved.

You've got no use for me at all, but, of course, it's OK if I change a tire for your wife, or deliver your baby in the back seat of my patrol car on the way to the hospital, or save your son's life with mouth-to-mouth resuscitation, or work many hours over-time to find your lost daughter.

So Mr. Citizen, you stand there on your soapbox and rant and rave about the way I do my job, calling me every name in the book, but never stop a minute to think that your property, your family, or maybe your life might depend on one thing, ME, or one of my buddies.

"YES ME THE LOUSY COP

Think about how TRIVIAL your posts were. This is exactly what is wrong with People these days.
:nono:

[Modified by Raskell5, 2:02 PM 9/14/2002]
Old 09-14-2002, 10:19 AM
oldace84
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '04 & '05

Default Re: "Calling All Cops" - VETTE magazine (Raskell5)

I was an MP in the military....so why don't you give us all a break...what do you think???

That all of us "NORMAL GUYS"...don't know what it's like to be a COP......

come on give us all a break...and go bust somebody for smoking the old mary jane.........or speeding..what a crime breaker...

Life is hard you deal with it....thats for sure we have to.....

Have a drink on me...HA!!!!!!!!!!!

Why don't you send your picture...of your vette to one of the thirsty mags....you'll probably get off on it....

Sorry for my rudeness...but give us al a break..and maybe you will be a better humane being...

Myname is TONY...
I LIVE IN HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA......MY e-mail is oldace1@earthlink.net

Deal with being such a "HERO"...gosh we will all respect you more....

BEEN THERE...DONE THAT......BEEN THERE DONE THAT...BEEN THERE DONE THAT....DAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tony

(***))^%$#@#$%%^&*&)(_))((*&**&)

:confused: :confused:

[Modified by oldace84, 2:25 PM 9/14/2002]

[Modified by oldace84, 2:29 PM 9/14/2002]
Old 09-14-2002, 10:27 AM
Raskell5
Instructor

Default Re: "Calling All Cops" - VETTE magazine (oldace84)

You've got issues.
Old 09-14-2002, 12:27 PM
JonM
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It’s the police righteous "holeyer then tho" attitude that gets them in trouble. What is it when cops get together and talk? The quote is always “Its them or us” them being the public. It’s a tough job walking around paranoid all the time. It’s also when the police become judge, jury and executioner, that brings a bad rap. It’s the excess force used with little or no accountability. We see this time and time again, an example Amadou Diallo, shot 41 times by 4 cops. Verdict…Not guilty. The problem that led to the shooting, actually started in the police station with this attitude of "we own the night" "anti-crime commandos" When government entities -- especially the police -- act without integrity and without regard for peoples' rights, they lose credibility and legitimacy in the eyes of the people. Some of the best criminals work in law enforcement, and your fate lies in their hands. Do you think some cops really break the law? We know they do, and often.

Allot of police officers get into this line of work, for the adrenalin rush and the power. I seriously don’t believe them when they say, they want to help the community. If that is all they wanted, become a teacher, or a politician. Mr Raskell, your whining doesn’t hold water, YOU elected to enter this line of work. Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-14-2002, 12:53 PM
Raskell5
Instructor

Default Re: "Calling All Cops" - VETTE magazine (JonM)

This will be my last post on this subject. First, I wasn't whining, just stating a bunch of facts/opinions that noone ever takes into account when the cop bashing begins. Secondly, Yes, there are bad cops, but just like the rest of society, it's going to happen. Third, to whine and cry about a traffic ticket or someone else driving around with no front plate is about the least of anyone's worries with all that is going on in the world today. If you decide to break the law then deal with the consequenses. Lastly, to attempt to explain a point or debate with Liberals like you is a waste of time and effort because as you've done in your post you've already painted us all with one big brush.
Old 09-14-2002, 07:01 PM
STREETKNIGHT
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Holy S*%T...What a firestorm :rolleyes: Damn, I didn't get offended about your obvseration... and I agree..probably took it off for the shoot :yesnod:
A lot of agencies will actually inspect or require you show proof of valid vehicle registrations, insurance, etc, just like any other citizen. My feeling is, and call me idealistic if you will, we need to set the example, rather than be exempt from it. :D
I try to not write anyone a citation for things that I have done before. I will if necessary, but only if I'm forced or they talk thier way into it:(
A little common sense and public relations goes a long way.
It should not be (but i know it is) us and them. We are here to serve and protect...remember those words guy's and gals? We are public servants and tax payer funded and need to remember that. Now if you tell me that you pay my salary, I'll give you a nickle and tell you to keep the change...done it before! With all the crap our taxes go to, thats about all you pay me individually, per hour.

I noticed someone using the term "citizen" instead of "civillian." Thank you
:cheers:

We are not a branch of the military. We are civillian law enforcement. So it's the law enforcement community and the citizens of the community. I keep seeing execs in law enforcement referring to us and you as "civillians." I know what they mean; however, it promotes that "us and them" attitude you were referring to :yesnod: I want to ask them which branch of the military they fall under :lol: ???
As far as the HERO thing goes. I don't feel like one nor do I deserve the title (IMHO). I chose this line of work, it didn't choose me :nono: .
I know/knew the risks, pay and hours (as well as the benefits) when I took it. Something change :confused: ?
I was just talking to another officer this morning, he's one of my Kenpo students (yes we DO train!, at least some of us) about all this hero worship going on.
It was nice at first to recognize the sacrifice made by those that do the job, whether it be L/E, Fire service, paramedics, nurses, or ?? It's getting a little old now though.
Again, we chose the profession and accepted it's risks!
This is not to take anything away from those who died in the attacks, please don't misunderstand. Those that decided to go into that building, whether they did so because it was thier job (firemen,paramedics) or because thats what they thought they needed to do (policemen, security workers)...are all hero's because of the bravery they displayed.
We both agreed though that some of the real heros are the folks that willingly and without regard for their own safety, without pay or benefit, and without being asked to do so, stayed behind or went back, for those who needed help. Those citizens that chose, not because of the job, but because of their dersire to help, to assist those less able to escape. And in doing so, lost their lives or were injured in the collapse.
The heros are those on the Pa. flight that chose to fight back rather than become passive victims.
See these people didn't volunteer for the assignment and had no responsibility to do what they did. Again, this has nothing to do with the LE, FF's that were doing thier jobs. They were heros of a different kind. The kind that choose to do this type of risky business daily.

Hero?
Not here.
Just another cop doing what I enjoy. Where was during the attacks...? In the gym in sunny Florida, working out! What did I do? Watch like everyone else!

Yea we have our bad apples. Show me a line of work that doesn't. Want to be a Priest?, Doctor? Lawyer?

Do we get away with occasional violations of traffic law? Yep, sometimes. Other times, we just pay em and go to driving school. I've taught that school for years and have had several cops, cops family members, high ranking law enforcement members and judges in the class. Just depends on the cop :yesnod:
By the way, sometimes, when a violation is reprted to our agencies, the damage is worse than paying the ticket. You get a 1-$200.00 ticket, we get suspended for 2-3 days (depending on your pay grade, can be $500-$1000.00).
"your rules" do apply to us. Just depends on how they are enforced. Don't agree with it, just a fact of life.
A lot of what was in the post about "the lousy cop" (I've seen that before but don't know the author) is true. Most of us just consider the source and move on.

Tony, I noticed you put everything short of your home address and phone in your response. Brother, nobody's gonna mess with you. We're not a band of vigilantes and I certainly wouldn't "come after you" if thats what you were referring to? for expressing your feelings. That is what this great country is founded on after all.
And by the way, thanks for YOUR service to our country. Being an MP ain't no cake walk (BTDT) :nono: :flag
No doubt we need to straighten out our act. Hopefully some of us can help that happen.

as a final thought...PROZAC :lol: (Just jokin Tony)

If you ever find yourself in Fl, please feel free to send me an e-mail. Gladly buy any of ya'll a cup of coffee:)

Take care all and stay safe :cheers:
:seeya :flag
Old 09-14-2002, 07:30 PM
BubbleHead
Melting Slicks

BIG LAW MAN is a Naperville, IL cop and doesn't have a front plate. One of his supervisors told him to put it on and he said nope.

I guess it's a job perk! :lol:
Old 09-14-2002, 09:33 PM
Jay Axson
Melting Slicks

Default Re: "Calling All Cops" - VETTE magazine (STREETKNIGHT)

You know what, I have to say that I don't mind if a extra perk or two is given to those that are putting their azzes on the line every day. Why not a free cup of coffee for our finest? :cheers:

And what job doesn't have some perks?

[Modified by Jay Axson, 7:44 PM 9/14/2002]
Old 09-14-2002, 10:33 PM
STREETKNIGHT
Le Mans Master

Default Re: "Calling All Cops" - VETTE magazine (BubbleHead)

Sorry, but if he was ordered to put it on and refused,...well it wouldn't float around here. He'd find himself w/unscheduled (and unpaid) day's off :rolleyes: .
Not above the law. :nono:
Old 09-16-2002, 12:33 AM
duckvett
Safety Car

Received 919 Likes on 465 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2018 C6 of Year Winner

Default Re: "Calling All Cops" - VETTE magazine (STREETKNIGHT)

Wow, I sure didn't mean for all the above to happen! I apologize if anyone thought I was being disrespectful. The more I think about it, they took the plates off so we wouldn't know their plate numbers and thereby be able to "find" them in any way. Front plates have become quite an issue and I thought I would have a little fun with the subject, sure didn't mean to start a war! Again, my apologies to anyone who saw disrespect in what I wrote.
Old 09-16-2002, 09:25 AM
STREETKNIGHT
Le Mans Master

Duckvett:

No disrespect seen here bro :nonod:. Thought it was kinda humorous :D
Heck, they take the front plate off then publish thier names and city/state or agency :confused: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 5 minutes-GOTCHA!

My guess is that they took it off because the darned thing looks better without it (as we all already know-right?). :yesnod: :lol:

Don't sweat the firestorm, some people are just too danged touchy...others...well???... :sleep:

Take care :cheers: :seeya :flag

By the way, congrats to your dad...he made it to retirement :cheers:

[Modified by STREETKNIGHT, 8:26 AM 9/16/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To "Calling All Cops" - VETTE magazine

Old 09-16-2002, 02:40 PM
Steel Blue 91
Le Mans Master

"Yes Me the Lousy Cop"

Well Mr. Citizen, I guess you have me figured out. I seem to fit neatly into the category you place me in. I'm stereotyped, characterized, standardized, classified, grouped, and always typical. I'm the "lousy cop." Unfortunately, the reverse isn't true. I can never figure you out.

From birth you teach your children that I am the bogeyman, and then you're shocked when they identify me with my traditional enemy, the criminal. You accuse me of coddling juveniles, until I catch your kid doing something. You may take an hour for lunch, and have several coffee breaks each day, but point me out as a loafer if you see me having just one cup.

You pride yourself on your polished manners, but think nothing of interrupting my meals at noon with your troubles. You raise hell about the guy who cuts you off in traffic, but let me catch you doing the same thing and I'm picking on you. You know all the traffic laws, but never got a single ticket you deserved. You shout "foul" if you observe me driving fast enroute to an emergency call, but literally raise hell if I take more than ten seconds responding to your call!!!

You call it "part of the job" if someone strikes me, but it's "police brutality" if I strike back. You wouldn't think of telling your dentist how to pull a badly decayed tooth, or your doctor how to take out your appendix, but you are always willing to give me a few pointers on law enforcement. You talk to me in a manner and use language that would assure a bloody nose from anyone else, but you expect me to stand and take it without batting an eye.

You cry, "Something has to be done about all the crime!" but you can't be bothered with getting involved.

You've got no use for me at all, but, of course, it's OK if I change a tire for your wife, or deliver your baby in the back seat of my patrol car on the way to the hospital, or save your son's life with mouth-to-mouth resuscitation, or work many hours over-time to find your lost daughter.

So Mr. Citizen, you stand there on your soapbox and rant and rave about the way I do my job, calling me every name in the book, but never stop a minute to think that your property, your family, or maybe your life might depend on one thing, ME, or one of my buddies.

"YES ME THE LOUSY COP

Think about how TRIVIAL your posts were. This is exactly what is wrong with People these days.
:nono:

[Modified by Raskell5, 2:02 PM 9/14/2002]

AMEN, Bro.

People need to take a step back and look long and hard at their own lives.
Old 09-17-2002, 01:42 PM
zeus337
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

i agree raskell5, a lot of people dont appreciate or respect their local police or fire dept. but then again i dont think any of those guys do it for that reason anyway, they do it to help make society a better place.
i for one appreciate their committment and hope to soon be one of them. :flag
Old 09-18-2002, 06:02 PM
GiDvEtTe84
Drifting

Default Re: "Calling All Cops" - VETTE magazine

Not all cops are a-holes. But it does **** me off when i am constantly watching my speedo to follow the limit and a cop passes me up (with no lights on) at about 100 mph without using any signal light. Then does a U turn and come back the other way at the same speed. Lemme guess, hes just "doing his job?" :bs

[Modified by GiDvEtTe84, 4:02 PM 9/18/2002]

Quick Reply: "Calling All Cops" - VETTE magazine