Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

best poly suspension buy?brand? complete kit?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 10:27 PM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

Default best poly suspension buy?brand? complete kit?

going to do a rebuild underneath when I get shocks..86, Z51, want complete kit AND advice welcome on install and other parts,grease needed. Also, getting new(used) A arms from a member and want to do the ball joints, bushing,ect. Advice on brand and, well, any advice. do they need to be taken to a machine shop or can I do with a pickle fork? never got into them on a vette so knowedge is extremely limited in this area. thanks guys.
Old 09-16-2016, 10:53 PM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

Received 561 Likes on 429 Posts

You won't 'need' to take anything to a machine shop. You can use a ball joint removal tool (ball joint press) to get the ball joints out of the A-arms (you will of course also have to drill out the 'rivets' that retain the top ball joint first). to remove the bushings you can drill out holes in the old bushing and then press them out of the A-arms (be sure to properly support the arms so they don't bend). There are lots of good suspension rebuilt write ups on this form, which should provide you with a pretty good idea of how to rebuild the suspension.

Have you considered using the Global West del-Aluminum bushing for the A-arms? they should have less deflection than poly and they don't cost all that much, plus they are greaseable so you won't get squeaking over time.

If possible I feel using rod ends at least on the trailing arms in the rear suspension is ideal as they move in more than one access of motion, which can cause poly bushings to bind. Banski makes nice products for our cars.

If possible I would also suggest you tap threads into the sway bar anchors brackets and install a grease fitting and dill a matching hole in the poly sway bar anchor bushing, that way you can grease them periodically so they don't squeak.

Hope this helps...
Also one other important point is to use only grease that is meant for poly bushing as several fourm member have said regular grease can break down poly and ruin the bushings.

Last edited by DMITTZ; 09-16-2016 at 10:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ghoastrider1 (09-16-2016)
Old 09-16-2016, 11:56 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

I've been really happy with the energy suspension bushings. Installed 2 years ago and no complaints. Comes with the grease, make sure you use it all. Lots of good write ups on the subject. For me the hardest part was removing the old bushings. A couple were a pain. If I were to do it again I would buy a press to make life easier.
ghoastrider1 (09-17-2016)
Old 09-17-2016, 01:26 AM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

So many write-ups on this subject.

Lower ball joints require a press. Make sure you really need those replaced.
The rest is elementary. 4" vice and some yankee-ingenuity.
Keep in mind the susp joints pivot on the bolt, so tight is not always right.

Old 09-17-2016, 02:05 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

Originally Posted by Dt86
I've been really happy with the energy suspension bushings. Installed 2 years ago and no complaints. Comes with the grease, make sure you use it all. Lots of good write ups on the subject. For me the hardest part was removing the old bushings. A couple were a pain. If I were to do it again I would buy a press to make life easier.
isthis the kit u used ? was it 100% complete or did u need to order other bushings elsewhere to replace them all?

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/3.18122

Last edited by VikingTrad3r; 09-17-2016 at 02:05 AM.
Old 09-17-2016, 07:29 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
isthis the kit u used ? was it 100% complete or did u need to order other bushings elsewhere to replace them all?

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/3.18122
excellent question, among the questions I have
Old 09-17-2016, 08:41 AM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
isthis the kit u used ? was it 100% complete or did u need to order other bushings elsewhere to replace them all? http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/3.18122
I cant say since I only had to do the rear end. But from what I understand it is complete and you will end up with extra bushings due to variations with different year/models. They supply all in one set. I think there were some posts where people werent sure about which bushing went where though.
Old 09-17-2016, 09:39 AM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 959 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

To throw my opinion into the ring, I have been doing lots of reading on the subject, scans of the various forums to see who has success with what, etc etc.

I have come to the conclusion that I will use graphite impregnated poly bushings in the front (If I use poly bushings). In fact, I am going to use poly-graphite bushings everywhere I replace bushings at.

Why poly-graphite (which are strictly black) over a (maybe) better looking red one? The graphite provides lubrication properties that the red ones do not have. There are several reputable companies that sell p-g bushings.

In my searches I have found this company: http://p-s-t.com/

If it was me, I would spend some time with Mr. Google, doing searches on C4 polygraphite bushings, delrin, urethane etc and read about other folks experience.
Old 09-18-2016, 08:31 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

I'm not a huge fan of polyester bushing but if you're really going to do this you should probably go Energy Suspension. Tell them you want the yellow ones.

The stiffness of these bushings vary widely.

The Vette Brakes bushings just disintegrated.

This happened after about 1 year.

There's a pretty wide variation between companies. I measured these with a durometer. Energy made the yellow ones for me after the others failed.

Richard Newton
C4 Suspension

Last edited by rfn026; 09-18-2016 at 08:38 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by rfn026:
CaptainMerricka (08-16-2018), ghoastrider1 (09-18-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To best poly suspension buy?brand? complete kit?

Quick Reply: best poly suspension buy?brand? complete kit?